You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-04 20:27:05

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

With the new release, 12.0, the Intel compiler has been moved in a new package structure.
The main package is no longer called Intel Compiler but Intel C++ Composer

AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=56337
http://software.intel.com/en-us/article … -download/

This package includes the compiler (icc and icpc), debugger (idb) and the full collection of the Intel libraries:

# intel-compiler-base:  Intel C/C++ compiler and base libs
# intel-openmp:         Intel OpenMP Library
# intel-fortran-compiler:         Intel Fortran compiler
# intel-idb:            Intel C/C++ debugger
# intel-ipp:            Intel Integrated Performance Primitives
# intel-mkl:            Intel Math Kernel Library (Intel® MKL)
# intel-sourcechecker:  Intel Source Checker
# intel-tbb:            Intel Threading Building Blocks (TBB)

So I've decided to write a PKBUILD that spits this package in its basics components.
And the user is free to install only what he wants.

for a minimal installation,  intel-compiler-base and  intel-openmp are necessary.



Observations:
0) This PKGBUILD may need up to 20 minutes if we use xz as a compressor!
0.bis) Now I force the use of gzip (more faster!)

1) We need for an original licence file; visit: http://software.intel.com/en-us/article … -download/
and click Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ...

2) The uncompressed size of the package intel-ipp is 1.2 Gb ! (remove it form the list)

3) intel-tbb is conflicting with the intel-tbb in community ( commercial and open source versions ).
The two packages are binary compatibles.

4) Do NOT install these packages with yaourt or some similar tools.

If you have some suggestion or comments ... lets me know.

Last edited by bred (2013-02-04 16:34:25)

Offline

#2 2011-01-18 15:03:38

big_gie
Member
Registered: 2005-01-19
Posts: 637

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Hi bred,
I am (was) the maintainer of icc[1] and ifort[2] on AUR since many years. I develop normally on github[3] so you can follow the history.

I wish you had contacted me before starting your packages as I have put a lot of time in it over the years. I'm pretty sure I could have helped you out in the process.

This being said, I do like the fact that your PKGBUILD creates different packages for the different components. Up to now, I only have one critic. I think you should use "you" instead of "we" everywhere, including in your forum post. Using the first person plural when you are informing the user about actions they need to perform is confusing.

Do you have a github account? Using github should be a lot easier to manage this: I could fix some stuff and submit it to you.

Maybe at some point I'll delete my icc package.

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2252
[2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2251
[3] https://github.com/nbigaouette/PKGBUILDs

Offline

#3 2011-01-18 21:06:57

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

big_gie wrote:

Hi bred,
I am (was) the maintainer of icc[1] and ifort[2] on AUR since many years. I develop normally on github[3] so you can follow the history.

I wish you had contacted me before starting your packages as I have put a lot of time in it over the years. I'm pretty sure I could have helped you out in the process.

This being said, I do like the fact that your PKGBUILD creates different packages for the different components. Up to now, I only have one critic. I think you should use "you" instead of "we" everywhere, including in your forum post. Using the first person plural when you are informing the user about actions they need to perform is confusing.

Do you have a github account? Using github should be a lot easier to manage this: I could fix some stuff and submit it to you.

Maybe at some point I'll delete my icc package.

[1] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2252
[2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=2251
[3] https://github.com/nbigaouette/PKGBUILDs


I've seen your PKGBUILD, and thanks for your job.

Sorry for having posted this PKGBUILD without any preventive contact.
But I've started this pkgbuild randomly and, in origin, only for doing a coarse split of the Intel c++ composer package, but step by step I've completed the job.

I also think that the most reasonable solution for packaging the Intel-c++-composer is to split it into many subpackages. You must consider that packages like ipp mkl sorcecheker tbb are only intended for a little number of developer, and ipp and mkl are also very big.
Nb.: These packages were not included in the olds version of the intel compiler packages.

Comments, ideas and suggestion are  are always welcome

I've also stored my PKGBUILD on github:
https://github.com/simon-r/intel_composer_pkgbuild
[you are free to fork, clone .... ]

Last edited by bred (2011-01-18 21:09:07)

Offline

#4 2011-01-18 21:08:39

big_gie
Member
Registered: 2005-01-19
Posts: 637

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Yes I agree that split packages are the way to go. They did not exist 6 years ago though wink
I'll follow your github, thanx.

Offline

#5 2011-01-18 22:37:26

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,331

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

bred wrote:

4) Do NOT install these packages with yaourt or some similar tools.

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you suggest so?

Offline

#6 2011-01-19 06:06:48

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Awebb wrote:
bred wrote:

4) Do NOT install these packages with yaourt or some similar tools.

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you suggest so?


yaourt don't support the splitted packages.
And also AUR don't recognize this kind of packages; or, to be more precise, it don't recognise the sub packages.

And I also suggest to edit the PKGBUILD and choosing your own list of components  before building and installing.

Last edited by bred (2011-01-19 16:23:03)

Offline

#7 2011-01-25 15:18:59

neunon
Member
From: Seattle, WA
Registered: 2011-01-25
Posts: 15
Website

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

What's the recommended way to install the suite with both intel64 and x86 support? I need to be able to use 'icc -m32' as well as 'icc -m64'.

Offline

#8 2011-01-25 16:35:02

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

neunon wrote:

What's the recommended way to install the suite with both intel64 and x86 support? I need to be able to use 'icc -m32' as well as 'icc -m64'.


I've never tried the cross compilation.
Probably, for the moment, the better way is to install the two separated packages by using the installer of Intel.

That's an interesting problem, I try to do some experiment.

Offline

#9 2011-01-25 18:09:18

neunon
Member
From: Seattle, WA
Registered: 2011-01-25
Posts: 15
Website

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

The basic issue is that building two separate copies of this package (one x86, one x86_64) is that I can't have both installed due to file collisions.

Let me know what you come up with. There should be a way to essentially set up ICC to do what gcc-multilib does. smile

Offline

#10 2011-01-25 18:24:43

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

neunon wrote:

Let me know what you come up with. There should be a way to essentially set up ICC to do what gcc-multilib does. smile

Composer seems to be made for working also in a cross compiling environment.
You should  switch the x86 and intel64 with the scripts:

/opt/intel/composerxe/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
/opt/intel/composerxe/bin/iccvars.sh intel64

See also:
/etc/profile.d/icc.sh

Offline

#11 2011-01-25 20:24:03

neunon
Member
From: Seattle, WA
Registered: 2011-01-25
Posts: 15
Website

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

But your AUR strips the 32 bit parts, doesn't it?

Offline

#12 2011-01-25 21:09:11

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

neunon wrote:

But your AUR strips the 32 bit parts, doesn't it?

No.
Intel delivers two specific and separates packages: one for ia32 and the second one for intel64.
I only strip the 32bit or 64bit from the tbb libs, where the files for the two architectures are delivered in the same sub-package.

Sorry ... there are also the package for the cross compiling.

Nb. On github I've started a new branch ....

Last edited by bred (2011-01-26 07:06:11)

Offline

#13 2011-02-28 03:57:38

tzhang37
Member
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 12

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

I have a relative newbie question. After build with makepkg, I installed all package with pacman -U intel*.tar.gz. Is that correct? Then to correctly set up the environment I think I need to add "source /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/compilervars_arch.sh intel64"(my machine is x86_64), to ~/.bash_profile. Is it correct?

Offline

#14 2011-02-28 06:53:47

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

tzhang37 wrote:

I have a relative newbie question. After build with makepkg, I installed all package with pacman -U intel*.tar.gz. Is that correct?

Yes.
But for  newbie probably the installation of  intel-compiler-base and intel-openmp is sufficient.

tzhang37 wrote:

Then to correctly set up the environment I think I need to add "source /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/compilervars_arch.sh intel64"(my machine is x86_64), to ~/.bash_profile. Is it correct?

No.
You must repeat the login as user to enable the profile.
See the file:  /etc/profile.d/icc.sh

Offline

#15 2011-02-28 07:23:26

tzhang37
Member
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 12

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

bred wrote:
tzhang37 wrote:

I have a relative newbie question. After build with makepkg, I installed all package with pacman -U intel*.tar.gz. Is that correct?

Yes.
But for  newbie probably the installation of  intel-compiler-base and intel-openmp is sufficient.

tzhang37 wrote:

Then to correctly set up the environment I think I need to add "source /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/compilervars_arch.sh intel64"(my machine is x86_64), to ~/.bash_profile. Is it correct?

No.
You must repeat the login as user to enable the profile.
See the file:  /etc/profile.d/icc.sh


Well I have to use intel mkl for some scientific calculation so I just installed all of them. Anyway thanks. BTW do you think the amplifier xe and inspector xe would work under arch linux? Have you tried that?

Offline

#16 2011-02-28 08:04:01

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

tzhang37 wrote:

Well I have to use intel mkl for some scientific calculation so I just installed all of them. Anyway thanks. BTW do you think the amplifier xe and inspector xe would work under arch linux? Have you tried that?

I've never tried.
But I think that they work.

[For the moment they are not included in my packages]

Offline

#17 2011-02-28 08:35:37

tzhang37
Member
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 12

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

enn... Well I think I got lot of errors when trying to compile a code using <iomanip>

error: expected an expression
    { return { __mask }; }

it turns out icpc has some problem working with libstdc++ 4.5

Offline

#18 2011-02-28 09:16:29

bred
Member
Registered: 2011-01-04
Posts: 33

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

tzhang37 wrote:

enn... Well I think I got lot of errors when trying to compile a code using <iomanip>

error: expected an expression
    { return { __mask }; }

it turns out icpc has some problem working with libstdc++ 4.5

That's not a my problem ....
But in the glibc and libstdc++  there are some portion o codes written with an highly non standard c++ / c that are compatible only with gcc.

Try to discuss (or search) this problem directly in the icc forum
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ … -compiler/

There is already someone with your problem ....
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ … hp?t=74691

Offline

#19 2011-02-28 10:11:01

tzhang37
Member
Registered: 2011-02-28
Posts: 12

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

bred wrote:

That's not a my problem ....
But in the glibc and libstdc++  there are some portion o codes written with an highly non standard c++ / c that are compatible only with gcc.

Try to discuss (or search) this problem directly in the icc forum
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ … -compiler/

There is already someone with your problem ....
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/ … hp?t=74691

Thanks. Also, I notice in your /etc/profile.d/icc.sh, you invoke the compildervars.sh by

. /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
. /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/iccvars.sh intel64

whereas if I remember correctly in intel's manual they use

source /path/to/compilervars.sh machine_arch

Offline

#20 2011-06-12 06:34:42

Continwm
Member
From: P
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 7
Website

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

bred wrote:

...
If you have some suggestion or comments ... lets me know.

here's my comment: sir, you are very awesome. thank you so much!

Offline

#21 2011-07-02 18:39:35

anta40
Member
From: Jakarta, Indonesia
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 79

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Hi bred,
I use 64-bit Arch. Is it possible to get the version which does both 32 & 64? If I'm not mistaken, you'll get either 32 or 64 bit only.

Offline

#22 2011-10-12 11:07:47

artemis33
Member
Registered: 2011-10-12
Posts: 5

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Hi bred,

Could you do the same for the fortran compiler ?
Thanks in advance.

Offline

#23 2011-10-22 12:43:24

CEPfister
Member
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 68

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Great job, thanks a lot !

I am also looking for the intel fortran compiler, is it possible to add it, please?

Offline

#24 2011-10-28 15:35:36

artemis33
Member
Registered: 2011-10-12
Posts: 5

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

Hi CEPfister,

With pacman -S glibc libstdc++5 cpio, it seems to work well for the parallel XE 12.1 intel composer.

Offline

#25 2011-11-12 09:25:59

CEPfister
Member
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 68

Re: Intel® C++ Parallel Studio XE 2013 for Linux ( icc 13 )

You are saying that the fortran compiler is already in the package? Or that I should compile it myself?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB