You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-06 20:19:35

lunamystry

[SOLVED] How do I make AwesomeWM ignore Plasma

Hi

I just started using AwesomeWM with KDE. I am trying to get AwesomeWM to ignore Plasma. I found in the AwesomeWM Lua docs that a client (window) has a function 'unmanage' this sounds like what I need but I am having trouble getting it to work as I expect. The first thing I expect is that awful.client.moveresize function should not resize Plasma (panel or desktop). I should also not be able to close or minimize plasma. I tried adding the unmanage function to the awful.rules.rules table. This does not do what I expect.

Here is what I tried:

-- Try match name
awful.rules.rules = {
{ rule = { name = "plasma-desktop"}, callback client.unmanage}}
-- Try match class and maximise
{ rule = { class = "Plasma"}, properties = { type = "desktop",
maximised_vertical = true,
maximised_horizontal = true,}}

Can this be done without having to learn Lua?

PS: In case anyone is wondering, I am using Plasma because I like the notes plasmoid and the folder view. I also like being able to just right click and change wallpaper quickly or add widget. I also like how plasma looks (Gaia recycled theme). I couldn't get Unity 2D working.

Last edited by lunamystry (2011-11-08 15:56:25)

#2 2011-11-08 15:55:10

lunamystry

Re: [SOLVED] How do I make AwesomeWM ignore Plasma

I think I solved it. I found you can use Hooks (awful.hooks). This is a bit of a trial and error at the moment (I have tried it, and I am now waiting for the error)

function unmanage_plasma(c)
If c.name:find("plasma") and c.type ~= "dock" then
c:unmanage()
end
end
awful.hooks.focus.register(unmanage_plasma)

This seems to be working. I tried matching "plasma-desktop" that doesn't work. I don't know why. I also couldn't get client.add_signal("focus", unmanage_plasma) to work. I think using the focus hook may be causing my PC to freeze (or rather become unresponsive) randomly though. I am gonna maybe look for awesome docs that describe the hooks. I haven't found em yet.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Sent from my Nokia E63

#3 2011-11-08 19:41:09

anrxc
Website

I think this was fixed recently - ignore desktop providers. But we in Arch are waiting on new XCB packages, which are outdated for a while and awesome depends on new ones.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#4 2011-11-11 17:08:18

lunamystry

Is this waiting for a PKGBUILD? Or can I get one from AUR?

Oh and for anyone trying my solution, it causes the computer to freeze, when I think about it its like "duh, you're unmanaging the whole plasma everytime it gets focus, what do you expect" well I expect awesome to magically continue managing it somehow. I have been playing around with a few things but none work (I know some basic Lua now). So I guess the solution is to wait for xcb or find a KDE friendly tiling manager.
I remember this being easy in XMonad.

#5 2011-11-12 18:20:06

anrxc
Website

Best you write to the mailing list or bug tracker. Collect xprop and xwininfo information about the Plasma desktop for your report.

Last edited by anrxc (2011-11-12 18:20:18)

You need to install an RTFM interface.

Board footer