You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-11 22:09:06

Tereva

Can I create a Desktop page on the wiki ?

Hi there,

I was using Arch since 1 or 2 weeks now, and I am still in the 'tune the system to get a working desktop' phase.
On the way, I took extensive notes about everything I installed and set-up.

So I was thinking about creating a wiki page (that could be named something like : "Desktop Arch : Zero2Heaven") that list every step to get a working desktop configuration.
The idea is to provide a guide to set up a workstation easily for a non-guru arch new user like me.

Before doing anything, I just wanted to be sure creating this kind of page isn't against some wiki protocol (I don't think so but better safe than sorry smile ).

See you around

Tereva

#2 2011-11-11 22:14:55

karol
Archivist

Re: Can I create a Desktop page on the wiki ?

I think it's fine as long as you keep it on your user page / subpage.

#3 2011-11-11 22:40:03

pointone
Wiki Admin

Please consider instead contributing to the Beginners' Guide if you feel it is lacking in certain areas. Otherwise, as karol suggests, personal configuration notes belong on your user page.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#4 2011-11-12 01:30:01

Tereva

What I have in mind won't fit well in the Beginners' Guide.

I can use my user page, no problem.

Tereva

#5 2011-11-12 08:20:34

axel668

Which desktop ? There is no such thing as THE desktop in Arch or even in Linux in general, so the only useful content of a desktop page might be a couple of links to other Wiki pages, maybe about Xorg and the most popular DEs (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox, Enlightenment, ...)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#6 2011-11-12 13:24:05

karol
Archivist

axel668 wrote:

Which desktop ? There is no such thing as THE desktop in Arch or even in Linux in general, so the only useful content of a desktop page might be a couple of links to other Wiki pages, maybe about Xorg and the most popular DEs (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Openbox, Enlightenment, ...)

That's why OP's personal preferences should go to his user page and not as a regular article.

I've seen wiki user pages that listed some configs that their authors found useful, nothing wrong with that.

#7 2011-11-12 18:18:45

Tereva

karol wrote:
axel668 wrote:

That's why OP's personal preferences should go to his user page and not as a regular article.

I've seen wiki user pages that listed some configs that their authors found useful, nothing wrong with that.

I think there is something missing in the documentation / wiki : How to mount 'quickly' a usable desktop configuration.

The idea was to hook false beginner / 'young' intermediate Linux user, that want to give Arch a try, but don't have the knowledge/experience to sort all the info available in the wiki to install a desktop config.

IMO this could help expand the user base.

Tereva

PS :  I was going for LXDE + java + audio/video codex + usb auto-mounting + some fonts...
Of course I don't pretend this is THE ultimate desktop experience (everyone has his own preferences).
But at least by following the guide I was thinking about, someone can have a -fast- usable desktop in 10 / 15 min.

#8 2011-11-12 18:20:24

karol
Archivist

Tereva wrote:

The idea was to hook false beginner / 'young' intermediate Linux user, that want to give Arch a try, but don't have the knowledge/experience to sort all the info available in the wiki to install a desktop config.

IMO this could help expand the user base.

I doubt we're going after this user base.
There are Arch-based distros that give you a desktop out of the box e.g. Archbang.

#9 2011-11-13 04:56:11

Tereva

karol wrote:

True but why not ?

There are Arch-based distros that give you a desktop out of the box e.g. Archbang.

Damn this was exactly what I have in mind. Except they are doing a better job of it than me smile
I installed Archbang and really like it, will probably stick to it and change what I don't like.

Thx for pointing that out.

Tereva

#10 2011-11-13 09:29:01

b4data

Tereva wrote:
karol wrote:

True but why not ?

Tereva wrote:

I was using Arch since 1 or 2 weeks now

So I was thinking about creating a wiki page

Maybe that's one reason right there?

Board footer