You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-16 21:15:13

ssba

wireless install

Would it be possible to get wireless-tools / ndiswrapper included onto the livecd, or make so that they can be manually installed at boot time?  I would love to do a net install of Arch with my wireless card, but because there is no wireless support (and make is not installed for me to get them myself), I have to either move my computer to an ethernet jack or do a cd install of outdated packages.  This would be really helpful.

Thanks,
-- ssba

#2 2005-07-17 02:40:02

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: wireless install

Wireless support is a real bitch to deal with from a devels point of view, especially in a liveCD/installCD situation.

Try filing a bug on the bug tracker, the developers dont read these forums.

#3 2005-07-17 03:58:49

ssba

Alright, will do, thanks.

#4 2005-07-17 17:56:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

like this one:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&id=1224
which was opened a year ago.... (searching helps)

#5 2005-07-18 02:08:14

iphitus
Forum Fellow

if i can get wireless support on archie, they can soo get it on the install CD. tongue

#6 2005-07-18 05:33:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

if i can get wireless support on archie, they can soo get it on the install CD. tongue

well, ndiswrapper supoort has to be hard to do... you'd need to mount another CD or floppy for the windows drivers...

#7 2005-07-18 05:43:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:
iphitus wrote:

well, ndiswrapper supoort has to be hard to do... you'd need to mount another CD or floppy for the windows drivers...

All they really need to do is include the userspace tools and the driver. Leave the rest of it up to the user.

Once you have userspace and driver installed, all you need to do is ndiswrapper -i /path/to/inf and modprobe. I'm sure most Arch users are capable of that.

iphitus

#8 2005-07-18 16:50:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:
phrakture wrote:
iphitus wrote:

All they really need to do is include the userspace tools and the driver. Leave the rest of it up to the user.

Once you have userspace and driver installed, all you need to do is ndiswrapper -i /path/to/inf and modprobe. I'm sure most Arch users are capable of that.

iphitus

I agree - however, and this may not be the case anymore, I recall being unable to umount the CDROM drive during install, so I couldn't use the driver CD.

On a side note, perhaps one can provide a whole mess of ndiswrapper drivers on the CD?

#9 2005-07-19 09:24:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

probably licensing issues about providing the windows drivers.

There is such thing as a usb mass storage device or a floppy disk. Many people have a second hard drive too.

Or put it on a hdd partition, and mount it up.

Or download it from the internet.

There's literally hundreds of ways people can get it if they're prepared to.

iphitus

#10 2005-09-07 15:05:52

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

mcking wrote:

I keep wireless drivers (and other things, like my current wep key) on a thumb drive, so when I'm installing an OS I can use all those things at boot time.  The lack of the ndiswrapper and pcmcia-cs packages in the base install set makes it hard to get Arch installed on some of my systems.   I have to use a different card for installation than for regular use.

Hmmm, just a note - I think some members of the community could work on making an install supplement... i.e. before running "/arch/setup" you pop in this second disk and run some supplementary tools... it wouldn't be that hard but I'm a shade lazy

Board footer