You are not logged in.

#1 2002-12-11 21:29:57

jon

ArchLinux Laptop & Other questions

i would like to install arch on my ibm thinkpad and boot it with linux and win2k. what kind of power management programs are out there, like how do i setup acpi (i think thats the accronym) to be able to do thinks like automatic sleep and/or hibernation mode.

the laptop is a ibm thinkpad 600 with 300mzh pII, 128 megs of ram, winmodem, and a network card in one of the slots (the name of the slots escapes me right now, ya know the laptop card slots) how can i make linux detect some of my hardware or does the kernel do most of that.... i tried to compile "discover" on my arch test system but it did not work.

does anyone have suggestions about (system) programs that are good for laptops? ie power management or the like

another question... i was trying to figgure out how to load kernel modules at boot time but i put them in the modules.conf with a "modprobe pcnet32"
but it did not work so i just put it in the startup script. what am i doing wrong

last question.... does anyone know of a good TEXT based WORD PROCESSOR like wp for dos or somthing (i need somthing with spell check and that sort of thing) will emacs do this for me?? i dont know much about emacs since i never tried it but i can safely say i HATE vi.

thanks sooo much... keep up the GREAT work
jon

#2 2002-12-11 21:57:32

sarah31
Website

Re: ArchLinux Laptop & Other questions

i would like to install arch on my ibm thinkpad and boot it with linux and win2k. what kind of power management programs are out there, like how do i setup acpi (i think thats the accronym) to be able to do thinks like automatic sleep and/or hibernation mode.

well i don't know if the modules are enabled in the kernel for acpi so at minimun you would have to recompile your kernel with those modules enabled. look through the "config" file in /usr/abs/base/kernel to get an idea of the modules you would have to enable.

the laptop is a ibm thinkpad 600 with 300mzh pII, 128 megs of ram, winmodem, and a network card in one of the slots (the name of the slots escapes me right now, ya know the laptop card slots) how can i make linux detect some of my hardware or does the kernel do most of that.... i tried to compile "discover" on my arch test system but it did not work.

the kernel should do most of the detecting based on how you have your modules compiled.

does anyone have suggestions about (system) programs that are good for laptops? ie power management or the like

sorry no clues here. there is a site out there about running linux on a laptop but i cannot remember the exact url. i would recommend that you do a search on the linuxnewbie.org forum for the addy.

another question... i was trying to figgure out how to load kernel modules at boot time but i put them in the modules.conf with a "modprobe pcnet32"
but it did not work so i just put it in the startup script. what am i doing wrong

well to have a module load via /etc/modules.conf the correct syntax is:

alias <device> module
(device is not always necessary

or you can load modules through /etc/rc.local using:

modprobe <module>

last question.... does anyone know of a good TEXT based WORD PROCESSOR like wp for dos or somthing (i need somthing with spell check and that sort of thing) will emacs do this for me?? i dont know much about emacs since i never tried it but i can safely say i HATE vi.

emacs or vim (a much easier vi) should do all you want except spell checking.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2002-12-12 22:58:41

Ghost Dawg

Drink Pepsi, the new generation, get Linux!

#4 2002-12-13 12:50:58

jon

if i compile a custom kernel with power management support (acpi) will it get removed when i do a update (pacman -Syu) or will i have to update it my self

thanks

#5 2002-12-13 15:16:54

sarah31
Website

well i have a self compiled kernel (actually i used the config file in /usr/abs/base/kernel and just made a few changes) and my kernel does not get updated but that is because i removed the arch kernel.

it is kind of a long process but, if i remember correctly, what i did the last time i self compiled the kernel was to go through all the regular step for compiling a kernel manually then i boot the new kernel then removed the old kernel. then i had to delete the /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-2.4.20.
then compile again. Don't forget to edit lilo and hash out the arch kernel entries after you remove the arch kernel.

i suppose you may be able to remove the kernel then do your compile but i don't know for sure. all i know is that you will want to remove the arch kernel if you don't want future arch upgrades to supplant your kernel.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer