You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-15 13:19:16

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

kernel26cko & gensplash not working

Hey all. 

I grabbed the kernel26cko package from community.  So far, it's been working great, but last night I wanted to try out gensplash.  I read that gensplash is one of the patches in cko, so I followed the wiki entry about it to a T (aside from compiling the kernel) and it's not working.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9600 ( yeah, yeah, shoot me later, it was a gift. tongue ) with the community ati-drivers package, which also works like a charm.

My grub entry is as follows:

title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26cko] With Bootsplash
root   (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz26cko root=/dev/hda8 devfs=nomount ro video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768-32@70 splash=verbose,theme:darch console=tty1
initrd (hd0,5)/fbsplash-darch-1024x768

I noticed inside /etc/rc.d/gensplash that it doesn't actually work unless /dev/fbsplash exists, which for some reason doesn't appear on my system at all.

I hope I'm just missing something painfully easy.

Thanks!

#2 2005-07-15 19:29:15

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: kernel26cko & gensplash not working

Well, I got home from class, and seeing no reply, started buggering around with stuff.  I found out that, for whatever reason, I had to use the vga=0xwhatever flag instead of video=whatever for my card -- it now works great on bootup.

Second problem has arisen, though.  I've been testing, and VT1 works fine.  VT2 and VT4 have no splash at all. The biggest problem is VT3 and VT5, though.  They both give me a wierd message like this, and then I can't switch VT's anymore (ie. doesn't accept input from keyboard):

The really interesting part is that the kernel is still responsive.  See "USB Disconnect" at the bottom?  That appeared after I unplugged my USB camera to take the picture.  When I plugged my camera in, I got kernel status messages about a new USB device being plugged in, and it was scanning it, etc...

Can ANYONE help me figure this out?  It's so strange...

#3 2005-07-17 08:02:40

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Cerebral wrote:

Well, I got home from class, and seeing no reply, started buggering around with stuff.  I found out that, for whatever reason, I had to use the vga=0xwhatever flag instead of video=whatever for my card -- it now works great on bootup.

Yup, that's correct - it is compiled without vesa-tng so you can't use the video line - this can be changed if requested

Cerebral wrote:

Second problem has arisen, though.  I've been testing, and VT1 works fine.  VT2 and VT4 have no splash at all.

That's in the trouble shooting notes

Cerebral wrote:

The biggest problem is VT3 and VT5, though.  They both give me a wierd message like this, and then I can't switch VT's anymore (ie. doesn't accept input from keyboard):

That's a kernel error - sorry!  Not much I can do there.

#4 2005-07-17 11:27:38

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Cerebral wrote:

Second problem has arisen, though.  I've been testing, and VT1 works fine.  VT2 and VT4 have no splash at all. The biggest problem is VT3 and VT5, though.  They both give me a wierd message like this, and then I can't switch VT's anymore (ie. doesn't accept input from keyboard):

The really interesting part is that the kernel is still responsive.  See "USB Disconnect" at the bottom?  That appeared after I unplugged my USB camera to take the picture.  When I plugged my camera in, I got kernel status messages about a new USB device being plugged in, and it was scanning it, etc...

Can ANYONE help me figure this out?  It's so strange...

that's called a kernel oops.

oops.

Means there's a bug... or to put it harshly, part of your kernel decided to crash.

File the bug with the developer of fbsplash, and maybe send an email to the CK mailing list -- http://bhhdoa.org.au/mailman/listinfo/ck -- too.

make sure you give exact details, what version of CKO you were using -- whatever the Arch package's version is, at least, and if dibblethewrecker can provide it, the PKGBUILD and config of the cko kernel.

iphitus

#5 2005-07-17 14:24:26

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:
Cerebral wrote:

Second problem has arisen, though.  I've been testing, and VT1 works fine.  VT2 and VT4 have no splash at all.

That's in the trouble shooting notes

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've already set the CONSOLEFONT in rc.conf, and it doesn't help.

I'll file the kernel bug with fbsplash now I suppose.

-=edit=- Sent off a nice detailed email to spock (http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/index.php) -=/edit=-

Board footer