You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-17 15:03:09

jon.mithe

[SOLVED]Virtualbox installation, X, display drivers

Hi,

Installing arch in virtual box and I'm unsure of a few things which I'd like to understand.  I've been running through the wiki on installing X but do not understand about the graphics drivers.

So, I understand the virtual box has its own virtual graphics card and that the drivers are in the virtualbox-archlinux-additions package.  I've installed this, added the modules, daemons etc.

Is that all I have to do?

One confusion I had with this + x is there is no xorg.conf.  I believe it uses an auto one from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

One problem I am having is startx works (was missing xterm) however, it presents me with a black screen and 3 xterm windows which I cant resize.

I installed an arch VM a little while ago, I think I got confused and installed some generic graphics drivers and I remember the initial startx being blue with basic windows so I'm thinking something is up.

I'm trying to get it using the best drivers possible, as this is a VM for work so I will be using alot.

Wandering if anyone out there can help defuzz this.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by jon.mithe (2011-11-17 16:15:47)

#2 2011-11-17 15:12:40

lifeafter2am

Re: [SOLVED]Virtualbox installation, X, display drivers

Did you install a WM or DE?  Sounds like it is loading the basic TWM that is used to test the X windows system.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2011-11-17 15:22:01

wonder
Developer
Website

pacman -S virtualbox-archlinux-additions

and follow the steps.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2011-11-17 16:15:32

jon.mithe

hmm, didnt notice the steps on pacman after install, thats pretty cool.  Unfortunatly I've lost those steps, but thinking they are the same as the wiki.  Finally managed to solve my LXDE install issues and ran that, so it all seemed to work well.  So I'm guessing the drivers must all be installed and X has figured itself out.  great!

Thanks you for your help,
Jon

Board footer