You are not logged in.

#26 2011-11-17 17:03:33

cpcgm

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar permission denied for all partitions excpt arch

I'm in category one. I don't use Xfce, I use Xmonad. I didn't touch any pkla files, I didn't change my configuration, the only thing I did was doing my regular updates. I used to be able to mount external drives and I'm no longer able to do so.

In another thread someone said I should follow this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … ormal_user. Now you say I should not touch pkla files.

Can someone please tell me why mounting works after I quit and restart ("startx") Xmonad (and the X server) but does not work after a reboot. I'm not using any login manager, my .xinitrc ends with:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session xmonad

#27 2011-11-18 04:36:17

David Batson

@ Leonid.I

1) Regarding external drives (and optical media, i.e. cd's and dvd's) I could not access them around the time I filed the bug report, but an update shortly thereafter fixed this issue.  I am not sure which update it was (thunar, udev, or something else), but I later found I could access external media without any udisks.pkla file or polkit-gnome installed.  So this is no longer an issue (for me).

2) Regarding partitions on the same hard drive as arch (both Linux and Windows partitions), as a normal user I could not access any of them except the arch partition until I installed polkit-gnome (or else used a udisks.pkla file).  I was not even given the option to enter a password without using one of these two options.  It is a problem if I can't access my drives (of any type), and am not given a prompt for a password.  Fortunately that is not the case anymore.

I do not really want automount for my other partitions, but I would like to be able to access them when needed without too much of a headache.  The way it is now (with polkit-gnome installed) is fine for me.  If I try to access one of those partitions, I am prompted for root's password.  The advantage I see is that others cannot so easily scan more private data that I have on some of those other partitions.  I don't need Ft. Knox, but I don't want an open door either.  My Mageia KDE OS works just like that for the Linux partitions, but automounts the Windows partitions.

I think I see what you are referring to here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PolicyKit as an alternative to polkit-gnome or even udisks.pkla.  Regarding fstab, I've used that method before in Mandriva.  These appear to me as other roads to the same castle.

----

Some have stated that I have a misconfigured system.  It's hard for me to see how when it's all working now (log out, restart, shutdown, suspend, hibernate, and disk access) with no user created .pkla files.  I think some believe if you use slim (with Xfce), it must be a misconfigured system.  I'm not so sure.  Anyway, listed are (4) gnome packages that are needed for xfce, but adding a 5th gnome package becomes a workaround?  Already it seems a mix-n-match.

#28 2011-11-19 16:31:04

ozar

There definitely seems to be some confusion and uncertainty regarding all these misconfigured systems that are being reported.  In my case, I tried every possible configuration that I could find in the wiki and even some that were not in the wiki, but in the end still had to either add a .pkla file or install polkit-gnome before I could mount the extra storage drive on my Xfce4 box.  The installation of polkit-gnome currently seems to be the easiest fix.

oz

#29 2011-11-22 12:19:34

cpcgm

@wonder: Could you please tell me what to do?

Automount used to work yesterday and stopped to work today. No idea why. I didn't restart the computer, I only suspended to RAM. And I still didn't change anything on my configuration that used to work for the past months.

#30 2011-11-26 18:45:59

ozar

Note that thunar 1.2.3-3 was just released and it's now showing polkit-gnome as a new optional dependency.

oz

Board footer