You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-16 22:10:04

kcirick

Macbook Temperature

Hello,

This isn't a new problem, and it is not unique to Archlinux, as it's been discussed in other forums such as Ubuntu, but there isn't really a clear solution (I've found a couple of threads here, but I didn't want to "necro-bump"). Basically, Linux runs much hotter on Macbook than in OSX, especially the top-left hand of the computer (under the left "tab" key-ish). I'm not talking about the CPU temperature (which is about the same in OSX and Linux at around ~50 idle), and it has nothing to do with fan control as many of the previous threads divert to (my fan is working fine).

I'm pretty positive they are related to some other kernel modules (either network card, or graphics card, judging from the location of the "hot spot"). I'm not sure if this problem is already been addressed, and will be (partially) fixed in the next kernel version? Does anyone have a Macbook that runs as cool as in OSX? If it is related to graphic card module, I know some people who have Macbook Pro with nvidia and used alternative nvidia module to cool it down, but since mine is Intel graphics, I don't think there are alternatives... (or is there?)

Before someone asks, I have cpufreq set on_demand and laptopmode is enabled.

#2 2011-01-22 18:43:17

The_infinite_loop
Website

Re: Macbook Temperature

Well I use a MacBook too, and the spot you mention is usually hot. I got used to it, probably because it's hot in OS X too, the hard drive spot (lower right part of the case) gets hot as well.
I used to have laptop-mode enabled, but I could hear how my hard drive stopped and started frequently so I decided to disable it. A while ago I read it's not really good (at least for a laptop hard drive) to start and stop frequently.
And I don't think there's any other alternative for intel graphics.
I'll try lm sensors to monitor temperature. I think it's on the average right now. Sometimes in OS X it's hotter. Plus I recently opened it and cleaned the fan.
Cheers.

MacBook 2,1, 3GB RAM.

They say it changes... When the Sun goes down.

#3 2011-08-19 13:41:22

wombat23

I just installed Arch with Xfce on my Macbook 1,1

Fans were running at max until i set down CPU frequency to 1 Ghz. Still it gets very hot, too at top left as you described. It's next to the connectors for display and firewire. Could it be the Intel graphics card? How could we test this?

#4 2011-09-21 21:12:57

wombat23

For anyone interested:
i tested it on Mac OS again and the Macbook gets hot there, too. I wasn't able to tell whether it's really hotter with Linux. Furthermore, when I opened the laptop in order to clean the fan (which wasn't really dirty even after 5 years), I noticed it's not the video chip, but the Atheros wireless card that causes the heat. You can see it on these pictures: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing- … Card/287/5

the driver seems to be ath5k, that might be tweakable somehow. or maybe the best solution is just replacing the card. it seems to be standard Mini PCI Express.

does anyone know a good replacement WIFI card on Mini PCI Express? good in terms of open driver support and power consumption?

#5 2011-09-22 00:52:40

the sad clown

Have you tried some power management settings for the card?  It is might be operating at 100% capacity.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#6 2011-09-22 12:16:07

wombat23

the sad clown wrote:

Have you tried some power management settings for the card?  It is might be operating at 100% capacity.

i guess that this is the case. i tried

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on

but it returns "Operation not supported" or something similar. (I dont have my laptop here)

maybe the card does not support power management? or is there another way to try?

#7 2011-11-18 16:53:49

wombat23

OK just to let you know:

I bought a new Intel wireless card (it cost about 20 euros) to replace the old Atheros card. Laptop is much cooler now. Only drawback is that it looks like I broke ethernet support. Maybe ethernet part of the Atheros card? I also replaced the hard disk with a solid state drive. Using cpufreq and laptop-mode-tools, one battery charge lasts almost 4 hours now smile

If anyone plans to do a wireless replacement, I can post more info on that. Be aware that new wireless cards are only half as long as the old ones, so you'll have trouble connecting the antenna cables. I solved this by opening the monitor and rerouting the antenna cables.

Last edited by wombat23 (2011-11-18 16:58:01)

Board footer