#51 2005-07-18 20:14:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Asa Dotzler must die.

Dusty wrote:
bruno wrote:

I'd like Linux to be a single OS

Problem is, what you are suggesting is that we all have to use what you use.

Dusty

That works... I'll start it... from now on, because I'm spearheading this thing, WMII will be the Offical Linux WM (TM).  Also, Thunderbird will not be part of Linux and everyone will use mutt.  And it will all come in slackware packages... want to install mutt? It's in a/bcdd/mu/xy/mutt (I h8 sl*ACK*'s packaging)

#52 2005-07-18 20:17:00

sweiss

Just think what Linux could have become with all this manpower being focused on a single form of it.

#53 2005-07-18 20:24:51

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sweiss wrote:

Just think what Linux could have become with all this manpower being focused on a single form of it.

you mean a bloated piece of crap? ;-)

#54 2005-07-18 20:31:11

sarah31
Website

sweiss wrote:

I agree with this comment in many ways. I may not necessarily believe there should be one Linux OS I do believe that Linux and the open source community in general needs to get more focus.

Choice is a wonderful thing but it hurts too. People come to Linux and they see all this choice and even may experiment but often they will not find the ONE thing that fits their needs. I do believe that it is possible to have just as much freedom with less choice. In the end you will have a better overall system.

Think of vendor support (official that is). Many vendors stay away because there are masses of different people working on different applications or drivers so that their products work. Then there are many in the Open Source community that will be very cool to vendors getting their hands into the open source community because miost of them will expect them to open the code up and the vendors will likely want to keep control of their brainchild.

Then there is the problem of the gamers who gripe about vendors not supporting linux then they go out an still buy the Windows version and run an emulator to be able to play the game. What good does that do? No good at all. All the vendors say is well why should we spend more transfrerring formats when they will buy the one format anyway?

You want vendor support? then you have to be open to it or even force their hand. You will have to compromise as much as they will.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#55 2005-07-18 20:31:49

ozar

phrakture wrote:

That works... I'll start it... from now on, because I'm spearheading this thing, WMII will be the Offical Linux WM (TM).  Also, Thunderbird will not be part of Linux and everyone will use mutt.  And it will all come in slackware packages... want to install mutt? It's in a/bcdd/mu/xy/mutt (I h8 sl*ACK*'s packaging)

NOoooo!  ...give my choices/options back to me!   wink

oz

#56 2005-07-18 20:32:30

bruno

Dusty wrote:
bruno wrote:

I'd like Linux to be a single OS

Problem is, what you are suggesting is that we all have to use what you use.

Dusty

On this previous post of mine I acknowledged that dual-nature of Linux, between standards and choices, and the value of both:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ht=#101428

We could also say that this "not enough core defined" situation is not only why Linux got so popular but also why it grows so fast.

A better defined core, like the work behind Debian and the BSDs in community efforts, could help in terms of commercial software and support.

But Linux is mostly from the community for the community, trying to scracth someone's itch. Not really trying to be a replacement OS as much as the M$ envy guys want to.

Some BSD guy said "Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love Unix". But Linux is also for those who want to make something different, a true OS-kit. Nice approaches have born everywhere and Linux surpassed the BSDs development.

Although this also means poorly documented lots of times roll

So I think this "not enough core" question is both good and bad, depending on your perspective.

Bruno

#57 2005-07-18 20:40:47

sweiss

Dusty wrote:
sweiss wrote:

you mean a bloated piece of crap? ;-)

You got mixed up with the Java thread  tongue

#58 2005-07-18 20:55:20

xerxes2
Website

hehehe, big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer