You are not logged in.

#26 2005-07-18 22:24:34

neri
Forum Fellow

Re: looking for a filemanager program

windrider wrote:

i'm used to a list-view way of doing things so cant get used to rox... the lack of multiple copying of files is a big drawback to me.

What do you mean, lack of multiple copying files ... ?

-neri

#27 2005-07-18 22:55:24

shadowhand
Website

I use ROX with the Etiquiette theme. Very nice, usable, and "most importantly" slick as ****.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#28 2005-07-19 04:24:35

windrider

neri wrote:
windrider wrote:

i'm used to a list-view way of doing things so cant get used to rox... the lack of multiple copying of files is a big drawback to me.

What do you mean, lack of multiple copying files ... ?

-neri

that is, simply clicking a bunch of files, press control+c, navigate to desired destination directory, and copy with control+v

When i try to copy a single file using control+c, rox prompts for a destination directory (instead of storing folder location to memory and let user navigate to destination directory himself). I wont say that is bad, but when i click on multiple files and press control+c, rox tells me "you cannot do this to more than one item at a time".  likewise the copy option is disabled in the menu. Am i missing something here or do they just not have this very basic feature? The manual didnt mention about copying multiple files too.

#29 2005-07-21 13:11:51

iBertus

You'll have to drag-n-drop to copy multiple files with rox. At least, this is the only way I've found to do it.

#30 2005-07-21 13:58:54

neri
Forum Fellow

iBertus wrote:

You'll have to drag-n-drop to copy multiple files with rox. At least, this is the only way I've found to do it.

Damn, I wanted to answer that a while ago but then my browser died on pressing submit ...
but yeah, basically everything is based on drag and drop in rox, to use it efficiently you better have alwys two or three windows of it around

-neri

#31 2005-07-21 16:02:18

mint

windrider wrote:

i tried going back to nautilus using gnome-settings-daemon and the icons did come back.

Why not use a .gtkrc-2.0 file.  That lets you set your theme/fonts/icons and doesn't need gnome to do it

Sample .gtkrc-2.0

include "/usr/share/themes/ThinIce/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" {
    font_name = "Bitstream Vera Sans 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-icon-theme-name = "Suede"

#32 2005-07-21 18:03:08

windrider

that works nicely! thanks. other gtk-2.0 apps look much better too with a gtk theme set. Something new learnt today smile now i'll have to see whether nautilus still gives me any probs with this new setup

#33 2005-07-21 22:27:04

mezoko
Website

I had this same problem with openbox but there is a very easy work around. Add gtk-icon-theme-name = "crux" to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 you can replace crux with you icon theme name I use the d3a icons currently. Beaware though if you use switch2 for a gtk theme you will have to readd that line.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#34 2005-07-21 22:35:58

iBertus

I like gtk-chtheme from dibble's repo. It works well and lets you preview a theme before selecting it.

#35 2005-07-22 00:10:55

flying_icarus

neri wrote:

but yeah, basically everything is based on drag and drop in rox, to use it efficiently you better have alwys two or three windows of it around

-neri

Well, yes and no. wink

You do need more than one window, but they can be created in an instant if you have at least one rox window open. You can pres the right mouse button on "up directory" or "home" buttons which will open a new window with those directories.

And navigation can be very fast if you know where youre going, with tab completion when using the "location bar" (shows when "/" is presed). Also there's a command line under "!"  (also with completion) and a separate terminal under " ` " at your disposal (with the working directory the same as the Rox window that spawned it).

That's actually the main reaseon why I like Rox, it's like an extension to the comman line, but also simple and effective.

#36 2005-07-22 08:43:31

neri
Forum Fellow

flying_icarus wrote:

You do need more than one window, but they can be created in an instant if you have at least one rox window open. You can pres the right mouse button on "up directory" or "home" buttons which will open a new window with those directories.

Right, I also work with those, but mostly use the middleclick instead as it also works on directories then smile

flying_icarus wrote:

And navigation can be very fast if you know where youre going, with tab completion when using the "location bar" (shows when "/" is presed). Also there's a command line under "!"  (also with completion) and a separate terminal under " ` " at your disposal (with the working directory the same as the Rox window that spawned it).

I knew about "/" and use it quite frequently. "!" and "`" are new for me. Very handy. Thanks.

-neri

anyone's going to write a "be efficient with rox" wiki ?  tongue

#37 2005-07-22 18:04:00

flying_icarus

That about the wiki is not a bad idea...

There are probably some good tips on http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/inde … ntsAndTips too... or in the rox manual itself, for instance selection saving with ctrl+number and then restoring it with just "number" and so on...

Board footer