You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-18 00:58:06

falmp
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 25

[SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

I was using the nouveau drivers but was getting a LOT of freezing problems (something with "[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop."), so I decided to try the NVIDIA proprietary drivers. The screen loads fine until the login, but after that it seems like it just freezes there. At first I thought it wasn't recognizing the mouse (because I couldn't click on my name at the login screen), but I might aswell just be blindly login but not seeing anything new rendering. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I tried a lot of the different stuff the wiki says, except the new beta drivers ('cause I'm using a GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, I guess it's old enough).

I also already tried disabling TwinView and setting this ConnectToAcpid option off.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (generated with "nvidia-xconfig --twinview")
/var/log/Xorg.0.log (the end part of it)

Edit: I had to edit because at first I thought it was a mouse problem. wink

Last edited by falmp (2011-11-23 22:51:50)

Offline

#2 2011-11-18 09:45:41

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,449

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

falmp wrote:

generated with "nvidia-xconfig --twinview"

Don't do that! It's outdated. Remove the xorg.conf and try again. And if it still doesn't work, post the full Xorg.0.log

Offline

#3 2011-11-18 09:58:36

SanskritFritz
Member
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2009-01-08
Posts: 1,614
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

falmp wrote:

I tried a lot of the different stuff the wiki says, except the new beta drivers ('cause I'm using a GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS, I guess it's old enough).

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160115

EDiT: oh, and nouveau never worked with my 7300GS, ever.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2011-11-18 10:03:05)


zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Offline

#4 2011-11-18 13:15:14

falmp
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 25

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

SanskritFritz wrote:

Woah, it seems you nailed the problem. Have you got any working solution for this on Arch? Maybe downgrading nvidia drivers or xorg-server? I tried the latest nvidia-beta and nvidia-utils-beta with no sucess either.

Gusar wrote:

Don't do that! It's outdated. Remove the xorg.conf and try again. And if it still doesn't work, post the full Xorg.0.log

You sure? Because I just tried with the beta drivers and the "man nvidia-xconfig" says the --twinview is still a valid option (although I tried without passing the parameter with no success on my issue too).

Last edited by falmp (2011-11-18 14:03:04)

Offline

#5 2011-11-18 13:41:14

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,449

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

falmp wrote:

You sure? Because I just tried with the beta drivers and the "man nvidia-xconfig" says the --twinview is still a valid option (although I tried without passing the parameter with no success on my issue too).

The entire nvidia-xconfig is outdated. It's from times where you needed a full, old-school xorg.conf for X to work at all. Nowadays, X does everything automatically. The only time you need to write config files (either xorg.conf or separate files in xorg.conf.d/) is if you want to use non-default settings. And in this case, you write only the section in which you're configuring something, not an entire file like nvidia-xconfig does.

Last edited by Gusar (2011-11-18 13:43:33)

Offline

#6 2011-11-18 14:02:10

falmp
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 25

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Gusar wrote:

The entire nvidia-xconfig is outdated. It's from times where you needed a full, old-school xorg.conf for X to work at all. Nowadays, X does everything automatically. The only time you need to write config files (either xorg.conf or separate files in xorg.conf.d/) is if you want to use non-default settings. And in this case, you write only the section in which you're configuring something, not an entire file like nvidia-xconfig does.

I see. So the minimal configuration, given that the driver would work, should be this one? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … figuration

I don't want to go too off-topic on my own topic, but then how would I configure dual screen?

Last edited by falmp (2011-11-18 14:02:34)

Offline

#7 2011-11-18 14:14:44

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,449

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Actually, the minimal configuration is no configuration. You don't need it anymore (that's for Arch, other distros generally don't load nvidia automatically and you do need that minimal config as described in the wiki).

For dual-screen, like I said, you write the section where you're actually configuring something. In the case of Twinview, that would be

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia Card"
    Driver     "nvidia"
    Option     "Twinview"    "on"
EndSection

And that's that.

In the past, when I had an old-school CRT TV, this is what I used:

Section "Device"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Identifier	"Geforce Go 6600"
	Option		"TwinView"		"on"
	Option		"TVOutFormat"		"SVIDEO"
	Option		"TVStandard"		"PAL-B"
	Option		"ConnectedMonitor"	"DFP, TV"
	Option		"TwinViewOrientation"	"TV-0 RightOf DFP-0"
	Option		"TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0, TV-0"
EndSection

Last edited by Gusar (2011-11-18 14:20:45)

Offline

#8 2011-11-18 15:34:51

SanskritFritz
Member
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2009-01-08
Posts: 1,614
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

falmp wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:

Woah, it seems you nailed the problem. Have you got any working solution for this on Arch? Maybe downgrading nvidia drivers or xorg-server? I tried the latest nvidia-beta and nvidia-utils-beta with no sucess either.

For a while I held back some packages via pacman.conf, forcing to keep nvidia version<270:
IgnorePkg   = nvidia nvidia-utils lib32-nvidia-utils xf86-input-evdev xf86-video-vesa xorg-server-common xorg-server  dbus-core dbus xorg-xauth xorg-iceauth
But after a while I just bit the bullet, and upgraded anyway.
Well the only solution at the moment is to turn of compositing. I had to switch to openbox from compiz standalone in order to do this. A big step backwards in terms of eye-candy if you ask me, but a big step forward otherwise wink
I'm seriously considering buying a new card.


zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Offline

#9 2011-11-23 22:51:36

falmp
Member
Registered: 2011-11-18
Posts: 25

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Thank you Gusar and SanskritFritz for your replies. Today I tried the new 290.10-1 drivers from extra and it just worked. Things are going smooth now!

Offline

#10 2011-11-24 19:53:03

SanskritFritz
Member
From: Budapest, Hungary
Registered: 2009-01-08
Posts: 1,614
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Wow, I also can report that using nvidia version 290.10, compositing works again with my nVidia GeForce 7300 GS. Took a half year, but nvidia finally made it smile


zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB