You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 21:47:25

syms

Chromium freezes randomly

Hi,
Ive noticed that sometimes chromium freezes. I cant press any buttons or anything. I can minimize or restore that window just fine but i cant do anything, so i have to kill chromium proccess. I think this started to happen after recent xorg update. I have nvidia binary driver and running kde 4.7.3. Anyone else having those problems?
Thanks for help

#2 2011-11-05 23:20:14

syms

Re: Chromium freezes randomly

I tried looking at xsessions-errors, tried deleting chromium config files but the problem is still here. The only thing that happens when chromium freezes is that its proccess becomes a zombie, nothing more. This drives me crazy i dont know what to do now, anyone can help me? Ive tried reinstalling chromium, but also no luck sad

#3 2011-11-09 05:54:26

aviynw

I'm also having the same problem since a recent update.  Unfortunately I also recently cleared my cache so I can't downgrade anything.  You sure its from the xorg update and not a chromium update?  I thought chromium was also updated recently.  Well, it says chromium was updated on 10/26 (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … /chromium/) don't think I've been having this problem for quite that long.  I'm also running nvidia binary driver and kde

#4 2011-11-09 05:57:29

aviynw

I also tried downloading google chome's dev channel build and having the same problem

#5 2011-11-09 15:37:29

ksovi

have you thought deleting the chromium profile folder?
that just in case you want to have a "new install" of chromium
if you don't want to lose your personal configurations in chromium don't delete it

#6 2011-11-09 20:35:48

syms

aviynw wrote:

I'm also having the same problem since a recent update.  Unfortunately I also recently cleared my cache so I can't downgrade anything.  You sure its from the xorg update and not a chromium update?  I thought chromium was also updated recently.  Well, it says chromium was updated on 10/26 (http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … /chromium/) don't think I've been having this problem for quite that long.  I'm also running nvidia binary driver and kde

Im not sure if its caused by xorg, i just guessed. It could be possible that it started to happen after recent chromium update. Unfortunately i still cant find a way to fix it.

#7 2011-11-09 20:43:36

aviynw

syms wrote:
aviynw wrote:

Im not sure if its caused by xorg, i just guessed. It could be possible that it started to happen after recent chromium update. Unfortunately i still cant find a way to fix it.

Well, if you have the old xorg in your cache (default /var/cache/pacman/pkg) you can try downgrading and see if it makes a difference.  You can install a local package with pacman via pacman -U

Last edited by aviynw (2011-11-09 20:44:21)

#8 2011-11-09 21:21:58

syms

aviynw wrote:
syms wrote:
aviynw wrote:

Well, if you have the old xorg in your cache (default /var/cache/pacman/pkg) you can try downgrading and see if it makes a difference.  You can install a local package with pacman via pacman -U

Unfortunately i dont have old packages left out. Did pacman -Sc in the past sad

#9 2011-11-11 06:09:02

aviynw

Chromium was updated today in the repositories and seems to have fixed this issue for me!

Last edited by aviynw (2011-11-11 06:09:23)

#10 2011-11-11 15:31:39

syms

Not fixed for me. I found repo which archives old packages and tried downgrading chromium and xorg but neither helped. I think i know wheres the problem, its probably some address in history which makes chromium freeze, because chromium freezes when i start to type anything in address bar. But the problem is that i deleted chromium folder in ~/.config, also deleted chromium from ~/.cache and when i started chromium freshly it seems to have fresh config, but when i try to type something in address bar i get history entries from the past,  i deleted all chromium configs and the entries are still here. But when i clear history through chromium settings the entries are gone then. But if you delete chromium folder from ~/.config again the entries come back when you fresh start your chromium again. This is really weird. Anyone knows where chromium holds config and cache apart from ~./config/chromium and ~./cache/chromium?

#11 2011-11-11 19:25:04

aviynw

You sure its not automatically syncing with your google account when you start it up.  If it is synced I was under the impression it would download the settings to your computer but I guess its also possible the settings are just stored on the cloud.

Weird that the problem got fixed for me, but not for you.  the problem started for both of us at the same time and seemed identical.

#12 2011-11-11 19:55:57

aviynw

Uh oh.  Maybe the problem isn't gone for me either.  Before the last upgrade I couldn't get by with using chromium for than 5 minutes without it freezing.  Then last night after the upgrade I used chromium for a half hour with no freeze, and then this morning for another half hour for no freeze, so I assumed it was completely fixed.  But then it suddenly it froze just like it had before the upgrade.  Not sure why chromium decided to last an exceptionally long time before freezing this last run and if the recent upgrade had anything to do with that.

#13 2011-11-11 20:53:56

syms

I dont use any sync. I cant find a way to fix this obvious problem, and most people dont experience that problem. If i wont find solution, ill format the partition and reinstall everything from scratch.

#14 2011-11-11 20:56:29

freddie
Website

I have this problem to freezing and chromium are unbelievable slow to open web sites and craches for me almost all the time.
And i got messages from google all the time  that i have a memory leaks.(he is dead jim) smile)

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bi … 0364&hl=en

My ram.

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:     6981       6856        124          0       2950       3069
-/+ buffers/cache:        836       6145
Swap:    6832          0       6831

Something eating upp my memory but i dont know where to look or what i should  go from here .Bugreport  next maby??

freddie

#15 2011-11-11 21:08:54

aviynw

Well, I don't have time to do any fiddling right now, but I did find this page which has some tips for debugging chromium on linux.  http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxDebugging

#16 2011-11-13 16:58:08

syms

This is getting really weird. i installed gnome with pacman -S gnome to see if the problem exists in gnome, then booted to it, and the chromium didnt freeze in gnome. So i went back to kde and chromium no longer freezes in kde too. I uninstalled gnome with pacman -Rdd and the problem is still gone. Im not sure what that gnome installation has done, but it fixed the issue. Ill wait for few days just in case to see if the problem is really gone, but i doubt it will come back now.

#17 2011-11-16 09:46:10

Prophecy67

Hy Syms,

Are you still having the crashing issues or did gnome resolve it permanently? As i suffer the same problem.. KDE4 has gnome randomly freezing but my other WM (AwesomeWM) Never had it crashing..

I wonder if there is something to put a thumb on. I already installed gnome but it still freezes.

#18 2011-11-18 18:00:33

syms

Prophecy67 wrote:

Hy Syms,

Are you still having the crashing issues or did gnome resolve it permanently? As i suffer the same problem.. KDE4 has gnome randomly freezing but my other WM (AwesomeWM) Never had it crashing..

I wonder if there is something to put a thumb on. I already installed gnome but it still freezes.

No, i no longer see this problem. Been working fine for all days. Have you tried to rename your .kde4 and/or delete kdecache in /var/tmp and ksocket in /tmp?

#19 2011-11-21 09:10:07

Prophecy67

Just to be sure i've emptied out the entire /var/tmp directory and removed every ksocket in /tmp. Also i've dumped my current profile (.kde folder)..
Let's hope this works! Yet it'll only make it stronger as kde is the only WM it will crash in, With a loop.

#20 2011-11-21 11:39:38

Prophecy67

Sadly it's still occurring, Though it seems less and less. I still can't fingerprint the problem where it is occurring since it seems completely random.

Sometimes it seems like freezing on flash pages and sometimes i don't even have any flash open and it freezes..

#21 2011-11-21 17:36:26

bmaster

Same problem happens with me too, but mostly when i type address in bar or type to search something. Seems its totally random as you mentioned. I tried to wipe cache, configs, /tmp files, but the problem exist. Now i installed to test official google chrome to test it that happens with it too.

#22 2011-11-22 21:00:47

LSO

The same for me with chrome and chromium, nvidia drivers too.
But the freeze for me become after a time of inactivity when I have a particularly page open with flash in it, it seems...

#23 2011-11-23 21:38:17

LSO

No, randomly for me too in fact....

#24 2011-11-25 19:31:53

syms

Ive installed kde 4.8 beta1 and gnome to have like a fallback desktop. After i went back to kde 4.7 i uninstalled gnome as usual because i didnt need it, and the chromium freezing problem returned. So i did sudo pacman -S gnome, and after all packages installed i opened chromium and the problem is gone. then i closed chromium, did pacman -Rdd gnome and the problem is still gone. im guessing this has something to do with gnome. Altough its a little weird because gnome uses gtk3 and chromium uses gtk2. Just try to do that like i said and see if that address bar freezing will be gone.

#25 2011-11-28 17:18:00

manouchk

I have a similar problem. Chromium freezes on some pages. It is though generally possible to close the tab which problematic, by clicking on the tab cross. It really ammoying!

I use chromium under gnome.

Board footer