You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-29 08:10:16

r0b0t

Question regarding HP dv6-6010el LC952EA#ABZ with 2 graphics card

Hi,

I bought a new laptop (the model stated in the subject) and I want to dual-boot with windows (because of the graphic software adobe etc).
The have not yet installed but I want to do this soon enough, the objective is completely disable the ATI card and using only Intel card when I use arch.
Simply not installing the driver will do the job?
My intel graphic card is :

Device:    00:02.0
Class:    VGA compatible controller [0300]
Vendor:    Intel Corporation [8086]
Device:    2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [0116]
SVendor:    Hewlett-Packard Company [103c]
SDevice:    Device [3581]
Rev:    09
Driver:    i915
Module:    i915
------------------------------

The second question is related to the processor,
I have 4 cores
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
The objective here is to put 3 cores in "sleep mode" if that exists and use randomly 1 of the cores after each boot.

I know that :

# for i in 0 1 2 3; do cpufreq-set -c $i -g ondemand; done

but this will put in "ondemand" all  the 4 cores, I want to set to maybe from 1 to 2 ghz 1 core and put in "sleep mode" the others.
Which of the following is less power consuming?

modes:
conservative
ondemand
userspace
powersave
performance (yes I know it's not but maybe I can set one of the cores in this mode?)

Thanks

#2 2011-11-29 11:16:04

ViruSzZ
Website

Re: Question regarding HP dv6-6010el LC952EA#ABZ with 2 graphics card

r0b0t wrote:

Simply not installing the driver will do the job?

I doubt so. You need to get your hybrid graphic under control first either by using vgaswitcheroo or via an acpi_call. Make sure you're using KMS for the intel one and then you should not have any problems.

As for your second question, is there any specific reason why you want 3 of your cores to 'sleep' and just one to be 'alive' ??

anyhow, you could try to 'cpufreq-set' 3 of the cores to powersave and just one put ondemand and configure its clock speed.

Take Care

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#3 2011-11-29 11:40:46

r0b0t

Yep, just for power-saving, and normally I don't make any high-resource consuming job on linux so I wanted to preserve the battery life for more H.

How can I use randomly 1 of the cores after each reboot ? (without consuming only 1 core everytime) any script in mind?

Any detail on how to get the card off with acpi_call?
Currently on ubuntu I added radeon.nomodeset=0 on the boot line and lshw shows "the device has not been claimed" will the same work for arch?

#4 2011-11-29 12:02:23

ViruSzZ
Website

r0b0t wrote:

Any detail on how to get the card off with acpi_call?

I'm using this method for my HP G62 with a hybrid ati graphic. You basically need to build the acpi_call-git package from AUR and then load the acpi_call module and run the test-off.sh to see if one of the calls works for your card.

to implement this on boot load the acpi_call in your rc.conf and add the following to your rc.local:

logger -t disabling the ati card
echo '\_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF' > /proc/acpi/call

Of course, replace the call with the corresponding one

Regarding your CPU question, I really do not know a solution for that, but a simple shell script can do the job

Hope that helps.

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#5 2011-11-29 12:42:44

r0b0t

thanks allot, I will try that.

Board footer