You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-28 09:41:27

darkbeanies

Anyone know how to enable windows_names option in ntfs-3g (NO FSTAB!!)

Hey ho, I just found out about ntfs-3g's windows_names option, which prevents ntfs-3g creating files with names that the windows don't like (which should be default, of course).  Anyway, anyone know how I can enable this option without using fstab, a file which causes me to develop a rash all over my body just thinking about it?

Cheers!

#2 2011-07-28 11:35:25

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Anyone know how to enable windows_names option in ntfs-3g (NO FSTAB!!)

Depends on just how you mount the partion. If it is an internal partion, then I would strongly suggest to just permamount it in fstab with the flags you want. If you are automounting it, then edit the udisk rules for ntfs.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-07-28 13:13:32

darkbeanies

Thanks. So, I would make a /etc/udev/rules.d/no_crazy_names.rules file, with this contents:

ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat|ntfs",ENV{windows_names}="$env{windows_names}

Will that do it? I allowing mounting by adding user to storage group, making a whatever.pkla file in/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ with all the rules set to allow mounting internal/external/everything drives by users in storage.  Then I just click stuff in a file manager and it mounts/unmounts.

I suppose I could just try it out...Thanks again!

I would strongly suggest to just permamount it in fstab with the flags you want

Aaaaaaaaaargh! My urticaria has returned!

#4 2011-07-28 13:18:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Udisks, not udev.

Last edited by tomk (2011-07-28 13:19:08)

#5 2011-07-28 13:50:45

darkbeanies

Oh...(goes off to learn in-depth workings of how disk mounting is handled in linux...)

Okay, here's what I learned, maybe:

(i) Devices in Linux used to  be managed by HAL, which is now dead (or at least, everyone seems to want it dead)
(ii)  HAL is now superceded by DeviceKit, a supposedly better device manager.  It had something called devicekit-disks (which is now called udisks)
(iii) UDev is, uh, also a device manager...it probably handles other stuff than udisks.  Or maybe udisks is part of a udev "package" or something?
(iv) Pacman tells me I have both udev and udisks installed.
(v) I have not the slightest clue, really, how disks are mounted on my computer.
(vi) Still less do I have any idea how to achieve what I want without using fstab.
(vii) I think I'll use fstab...

Last edited by darkbeanies (2011-07-29 12:47:26)

#6 2011-11-29 13:53:18

the.ridikulus.rat

I added windows_names option for all my Internal HDD ntfs partitions but how to do the same for any external ntfs partition (USB external HDD and USB flash drives). Whic udev/udisk rule file to edit? TIA.

Board footer