You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-10 11:27:37

saif

Please help with cisco vpn

Hello there, I am new to Archlinux and love its way. But yes, I am a newbie at overall Linux Survival Jungle.

I installed the os in my laptop plus a bunch of stuff I usually need, but nothing complex. I now need to use Cisco VPN Client to access to my job's stuff.

Installed it correctly, but I am unsure what to do next. On the sideeffect, the GUI package doesn't seem to load anything (nothing happens when I run it after I enter my password). Also, I do have one .pcf file, I think it goes inside Profiles folder but still unsure about that too.

Finally when I try to do a 'Verify' or 'Connect' command, I get a "Could not attach to driver. Is kernel module loaded?' error and "The application was unable to communicate with the VPN  sub-system". I did an overall search about this error but mostly people from ubuntu and windows came up so I couldn't go on with it.

I'd be thankful for your advice
Saif

#2 2011-10-28 23:08:01

llawwehttam

Re: Please help with cisco vpn

Try manually loading the cisco_ipsec module. Might do the trick.

If not apparently vpnc is compatible with cisco vpn's.

This isn't really my area so that's about as much help as I can give.

EDIT: Running:

isainfo -kv

should tell you if the kernel module is loaded.

EDIT 2: The vpnclient_init daemon also needs to be runnning.

Last edited by llawwehttam (2011-10-28 23:11:48)

#3 2011-10-28 23:11:16

Gusar

Yeah, vpnc is compatible with Cisco VPN. I'd try that first, instead of playing with the closed source Cisco client. Though many, many years back I did have the Cisco client running. But that really was years back.

#4 2011-11-29 21:28:10

TiborB

Hi
just now (those past days) I'm trying to make vpnc work. In fact it works flawlesly, I start it from command line (vpnc), it conects and everything works. Of course you need to have filled in /etc/vpnc.conf. I have following lines there:

IPSec gateway [network address of vpn gate]
   IPSec ID [group name]
   IPSec secret [group password]
   Xauth username [my login name]

it only asks for my password.

Only problem I have is that it redirects whole communication to this tunnel, and I need to change it...

Board footer