You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-28 00:51:37

Website

Arch hosting project

First my apologies if this is the wrong section, mod feel free to move it to an appropriate section if needed.

I read this stub on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=171268

I realize the article its a bit old so I figured a forum thread can revive this project, I am willing to help with both resources and configuration time.

Please if anyone its still interested in this post here with ideas on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#2 2011-11-28 01:08:49

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch hosting project

https://www.sevenl.net/arch-dedicated-server (our sponsors) seem to have what you need, but I don't know if you like the price etc.

#3 2011-11-28 07:27:05

Website

Sorry about this Maybe I didnt explain myself clearly.

There is a possibility for me to get the server (the hardware that is) to run the project, only thing needed will be to get some people onboard to pay for colocation/bandwidth, and help with maintenance. I just want to get those people to chime in to see If we can start say, next year?

cheers

Linux user #498977

#4 2011-11-30 00:40:10

Mektub

655321 wrote:

Sorry about this Maybe I didnt explain myself clearly.

There is a possibility for me to get the server (the hardware that is) to run the project, only thing needed will be to get some people onboard to pay for colocation/bandwidth, and help with maintenance. I just want to get those people to chime in to see If we can start say, next year?

cheers

By the lack of answers doesn't seem that many people is interested.

Well, I am.

However, is maintaining real hardware a good idea ? I did maintain several UNIX machines, and that means f.e. driving to the Lab at 3 o'clock in the morning.
Granted, I got paid for it.
Also, people on location will be few.

Just my 2 cents.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#5 2011-11-30 08:47:02

Website

Mektub wrote:

However, is maintaining real hardware a good idea ? I did maintain several UNIX machines, and that means f.e. driving to the Lab at 3 o'clock in the morning.
Granted, I got paid for it.
Also, people on location will be few.

Just my 2 cents.

Mektub

same here I also maintain hardware at work big_smile

Well, on location will probably be only me (I dont know ANY costa rican Arch forum members, let alone that want to contribute with time/maintenance/money for this). I am also thinking of getting either an small VPS with Arch or a dedicated one as karol suggested. I am also thinking on some kind of user verification in order to be able to get the service. Ideally I would want the server to be an arch box with ONLY arch users on it so that we can do anything we like to support the distro (ie. blogs, voip, irc, ftp, mirrors, emails, etc).

Say, before being able to sign up you gotta have 50 forum posts, or contribute in some way to the wiki, or have an archlinux.org or .us email, things like that. Also we could charge a VERY low fee in order to cover our costs while still make it affordable for everyone and we could even offer free hosting to top contributors to do tests, development, whatever.

Seems like the idea is maturing we just need people to want to get it done!

Linux user #498977

#6 2011-11-30 14:56:33

Barrucadu
Website

You could go for a Kimsufi dedicated server, they do Arch and their smallest package is pretty cheap and I run a seedbox (shared between myself and three others) on one and it's had no downtime not caused directly by me.

However, I do hear they have bad peering with the US. If anyone has a machine over there they can ping from, try pinging carcosa.barrucadu.co.uk and see what the lag is like.

Last edited by Barrucadu (2011-11-30 14:57:34)

#7 2011-12-01 08:14:28

Website

Ping here is fine (~175ms) but Im not on the US, so maybe someone can chime in and put their times? I am more inclined to go with Linode for this task, it is extensible, I hear support is awesome and they do provide arch VPS big_smile

Linux user #498977

#8 2011-12-01 08:59:01

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I'd agree on Linode, however, Tilaa has been getting some press as well lately. Similar specs, and even cheaper. Don't know anything about quality though. Keep in mind their prices are VAT excluded (don't know how it works if you are outside the EU, they're based in the Netherlands).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2011-12-01 12:28:14

Mektub

Linode is OK, I have been using them for 2 years now.

And they have servers in the US, London (I use it) and Tokyo.

Following .:B:. post I took a look at Tilaa, seem to have very good pricing,

However, perhaps because the two above are VPS's they have in my opinion small storage capacity for a project, even though mostly more then enough for a a private user like me.

Kimsufi, as suggested by Barrucadu has quite good storage to start with (1/2 TB), and prices for a dedicated server are quite low, IMHO.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#10 2011-12-01 21:00:38

jnguyen
Website

If looking for a VPS, check out BigV which is a new offering from Bytemark Hosting. BigV is still in beta until probably the end of this month, but it offers some great features at a reasonable price. Bytemark are generally very reliable too and have excellent support.

My experience with Tilaa was not amazing, with several periods of downtime. Having said that, response to emails was very good and I can't fault their communication.

Last edited by jnguyen (2011-12-01 21:01:20)

TOMOYO Linux: Mandatory Access Control.
My AUR packages

#11 2011-12-02 23:00:29

Website

all 3 options look good, Tilaa is indeed interesting as  they provide cheaper prices with more bandwidth while keeping the other stats the same.
BigV looks very cool but it being a beta and somewhat confusing specs (they state you have to download something to your pc, no idea whats that for?) I will be more inclined to go with Tilaa or Linode.

Linux user #498977

Board footer