You are not logged in.

#3451 2011-11-24 08:39:20

davidovitch
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

snack wrote:
matse wrote:

@davidovitch: Same problem here with skype, really annoying. I really don't like skype but I need it for work, I hope that amd fixes this soon... somehow I doubt this...
Greetings
matse

//Edit:
Just switched to "radeon" again and I have to say I'm really surprised about how it performs. Everything works really good and even (manual) powerswitching works fine - manual is OK for me since the "mid" profile is good enough to be enabled all the time except when playing xonotic... but even xonotic runs really smooth, I remember having tested nexuiz with rhe radeon driver some time ago and it was just not playable. So I can just encourage you to give radeon a try!

I have the same problem, but I have a feeling that it could be related more to Xorg than catalyst. But it's only a feeling...
I'd like to use open drivers too, but the stopping missing feature is power management, as always. Open driver is still a battery killer respect to catalyst. Also, I found that it is much slower with a dual monitor setup (my work configuration).

Thanks for the response. For the moment I am only running Arch on my Desktop so I guess the power management is not really an issue. By the way, skype video crashes in both KDE and Gnome3 (fallback mode). I guess that supports the hypothesis that Xorg is involved as well? Maybe I should start thinking about switching to radeon (no dual heads yet to be concerned about either).

#3452 2011-11-24 23:45:52

spamuel

Managed to get most things up and running nicely on my Radeon Mobile HD4200 with a second screen in the HDMI port. For some reason, though, my Acer H223HQ doesn't fill the display despite claiming to be at its maximum resolution.

ed ~ $ fglrxinfo 
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11251 Compatibility Profile Context
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "0-LVDS"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
	Option	    "TargetRefresh" "60"
	Option	    "Position" "0 312"
	Option	    "Rotate" "normal"
	Option	    "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "0-DFP1"
	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
	Option	    "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
	Option	    "TargetRefresh" "60"
	Option	    "Position" "1366 0"
	Option	    "Rotate" "normal"
	Option	    "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "OverlayOnCRTC2" "1"
	Option	    "Monitor-LVDS" "0-LVDS"
	Option	    "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
	BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
	Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Virtual   3286 1920
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1366x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1"
	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1920x1080"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
X.Org X Server 1.11.2
Release Date: 2011-11-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.1.1-1-ARCH x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux spamalot 3.1.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 22 09:17:56 CET 2011 x86_64

Any idea what's going wrong?

Last edited by spamuel (2011-11-24 23:47:28)

#3453 2011-11-25 02:00:40

goofy03

Hmm i have an equivalent problem.

On my laptop every time a boot with an HDMI screen the refresh rate is always to 30Hz i must start kdeconfig and change it to 60hz or auto manually even if y save the conf by default.

No problem with VGA with different LCD screen with different resolution.

My xorg.conf is empty i use the autodetection because i travel a lot and i cant write a config for every display i use.

When i see the new windows ati driver update just for a bug in one game and in the other hand we wait ten year to have something usable for linux i'm not sure i will buy AMD graphic card again.
And i dont speak about youtube HD video … fortunately Flash is dead :-)

#3454 2011-11-25 21:34:15

nemolivier

Hello,

After the kernel update, yesterday, without understanding anything, my fglrx module is ok right version, all seem’s fine.

On Gnome-shell, it’s better, don’t forqet to add the « without scratch » option (I see it in french, don’t know the english translation) in amdccle.

#3455 2011-11-27 14:35:43

achilleas.k

nemolivier wrote:

Hello,

After the kernel update, yesterday, without understanding anything, my fglrx module is ok right version, all seem’s fine.

On Gnome-shell, it’s better, don’t forqet to add the « without scratch » option (I see it in french, don’t know the english translation) in amdccle.

I'm guessing you are referring to the "Tear-free" option.

#3456 2011-11-27 16:07:44

dabd

Hey guys could someone help me out figuring why I cannot get any video output from HDMI with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphic chipset. I'd like to setup a dual monitor one through VGA and the other through HDMI.
xrandr detects the monitor but it does not display any image.

Thanks.

#3457 2011-11-28 01:00:31

achilleas.k

So I finally decided to migrate to KDE in order to have better power management (and core temperatures) with the Catalyst driver.
Using Catalyst 11.11 and Xorg 1.11.2, I got crashes *immediately* on starting video playback.
I had to drop back to Xorg 1.10.

Everything is _almost_ perfect now.

#3458 2011-11-28 06:17:39

reflexing
Website

achilleas.k wrote:

So I finally decided to migrate to KDE in order to have better power management (and core temperatures) with the Catalyst driver.
Using Catalyst 11.11 and Xorg 1.11.2, I got crashes *immediately* on starting video playback.

Please use gl, gl2 or vaapi video output. It was discussed before.

#3459 2011-11-28 06:59:48

jck

Ever since I updated, flash videos on full screen lag horribly. I guess its time for a downgrade.

#3460 2011-11-28 09:41:35

achilleas.k

reflexing wrote:
achilleas.k wrote:

Please use gl, gl2 or vaapi video output. It was discussed before.

I noticed the discussion, however, I thought it concerned Catalyst in general. I think it's preferable to use Xorg 1.10 to avoid risking running a video without setting the renderer and having everything crash on me.

Last edited by achilleas.k (2011-11-28 09:55:27)

#3461 2011-11-28 14:20:42

goll

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by doing this, but I'm crossposting since this seems to be the relevant topic for the catalyst driver, since I don't know what is causing my problems:

I'm really starting to get annoyed, and I'm hoping somebody figured out what could cause these problems.

This is my setup: I'm on a HP EliteBook 8560p laptop. I have an ATI 6470m graphical card, and since the release of catalyst-11.11 I'm running fglrx. I use awesome as my wm. I'm running the latest stable arch x86_64.
I'm not sure what exactly, but it seems that an update from a few days ago messed up something. The first thing i noticed was horrible flash fullscreen performance (chromium 15.0.874.121-1, flashplugin 11.1.102.55-1). The video was jerky, had tearing and would freeze the video for a couple of seconds really often, but only when ran in fullscreen. After 2 days of googleing and trying EVERY POSSIBLE solution (tried gnash, lightspark, flash beta, played with every option imaginable in /etc/adobe/mms/cfg etc etc) i tried using xcompmgr and lo and behold, flash started to work again normally in fullscreen.

That would be great if xcompmgr wouldn't choke the rest of my system. For example fgl_glxgears usually reports around 1000 FPS on my system, with xcompmgr it's around 250, I can't play any of my favourite humble bundle games, nothing. So I now have to disable xcompmgr whenever I want to use my system for something else than watching fullscreen flash.

Next thing, tearing in smplayer. I installed mplayer-vaapi since I had a nice GPU, and it worked flawlessly, I ran 1080p videos and my cpu usage was 6%. Now I have tearing and jerky video on a normal avi file, tried using every other combination for my output driver instead of vaapi:gl with no luck whatsoever.

Thanks in advance, if you need any command outputs or log sections, let me know.

Output of fglrxinfo:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6400M Series
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11251 Compatibility Profile Context

#3462 2011-11-28 15:56:32

Atondwal

goll wrote:

I'm not sure what exactly, but it seems that an update from a few days ago messed up something.

Catalyst upgrades are always weird.

goll wrote:

The first thing i noticed was horrible flash fullscreen performance (chromium 15.0.874.121-1, flashplugin 11.1.102.55-1). The video was jerky, had tearing and would freeze the video for a couple of seconds really often, but only when ran in fullscreen. After 2 days of googleing and trying EVERY POSSIBLE solution (tried gnash, lightspark, flash beta, played with every option imaginable in /etc/adobe/mms/cfg etc etc) i tried using xcompmgr and lo and behold, flash started to work again normally in fullscreen.

That would be great if xcompmgr wouldn't choke the rest of my system. For example fgl_glxgears usually reports around 1000 FPS on my system, with xcompmgr it's around 250, I can't play any of my favourite humble bundle games, nothing. So I now have to disable xcompmgr whenever I want to use my system for something else than watching fullscreen flash.

Flash is weird. Sometimes having a compmgr running in the background improves performance, but if that's not the case for you, (namely because you only seem to need it for flash, you can have keyboard shortcuts to start and kill xcompmgr. Since you're using awesome, you can add these two lines in you globalkeys in your rc.lua. (alternately, you can do this with xbindkeys. It's _very_ easy; look it up.)

awful.key({ modkey, "Control"   }, "c",      function (c)  awful.util.spawn("xcompmgr")  end),
 awful.key({ modkey, "Control"   }, "v",      function (c)  awful.util.spawn("killall xcompmgr")  end),

EDIT; fixed the second line... This, folks, is why you don't write lua on a blackberry...

goll wrote:

Next thing, tearing in smplayer. I installed mplayer-vaapi since I had a nice GPU, and it worked flawlessly, I ran 1080p videos and my cpu usage was 6%. Now I have tearing and jerky video on a normal avi file, tried using every other combination for my output driver instead of vaapi:gl with no luck whatsoever.

You can enable Tear-Free in amdccle to get rid of the tearing. I'm not sure what to do about the bad performance except maybe downgrade catalyst.

Last edited by Atondwal (2011-11-28 21:33:28)

#3463 2011-11-28 21:19:23

DeepThought

Wow, Atondwal! This fullscreen flash video problem has been annoying me for quite some time now and I've tested a lot of stuff to fix it without satisfying results. But that just seemed to fix it! Running xcompmgr every now and then (or maybe all the time, depending on whatever else it might break) isn't much of a problem. Only wish I'd found out earlier.

Thanks!

#3464 2011-11-29 01:18:47

cdprincipe

I need to use kdenlive which is based on xine. With these new drivers each time I start xine cause the crash of KDE. There is a trick to change the video output as on mplayer? [SOLVED]

Last edited by cdprincipe (2011-11-29 01:24:19)

#3465 2011-11-29 09:13:59

ChemBro

cdprincipe wrote:

I need to use kdenlive which is based on xine.

Small info: Kdenlive, like OpenShot, is based on "mlt". You can use xine for DVDs, but it is not necessary.

#3466 2011-11-30 15:40:13

Unia
Website

Excuse me if this was mentioned a couple of posts ago, I don't have time to skim through some pages on this topic, but does anyone know of a release date of Catalyst 11.12? Somewhere I've seen this might be here before Christmas, I would like to know if this is true!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3467 2011-11-30 23:27:08

ratcheer

Unia wrote:

Excuse me if this was mentioned a couple of posts ago, I don't have time to skim through some pages on this topic, but does anyone know of a release date of Catalyst 11.12? Somewhere I've seen this might be here before Christmas, I would like to know if this is true!

Yes, that is what I hear. I don't have an exact date, though.

Tim

#3468 2011-12-01 13:26:27

ChemBro

Unia wrote:

Even AMD does't know that. They need some certification thingy by Microsoft, so they can release their driver for Windows. Linux drivers depend on the Windows release, that's why Catalyst 11.10 came out so late.

#3469 2011-12-01 14:11:30

Radioactiveman

http://blogs.amd.com/developer/2011/11/ … k-preview/
11.12 should be released on 13th or 14th december together with the new OpenCL SDK.

#3470 2011-12-01 14:13:15

Unia
Website

Thank you guys, that answers my question!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3471 2011-12-02 12:32:56

achilleas.k

Is there an issue with Suspend to RAM using Catalyst? Ever since I switched STR fails around 1 in 5 times. The switch to Catalyst as I already mentioned coincided with a migration to KDE, but I think Catalyst is the most likely culprit.

#3472 2011-12-02 13:15:22

agapito

Flash 11,2 beta 64 bits,  works great in full screen with catalyst. My card is 6790.

Excuse my poor English.

#3473 2011-12-02 13:49:14

snack

achilleas.k wrote:

Is there an issue with Suspend to RAM using Catalyst? Ever since I switched STR fails around 1 in 5 times. The switch to Catalyst as I already mentioned coincided with a migration to KDE, but I think Catalyst is the most likely culprit.

On my Vaio VGN-SR21M with Mobility HD3470 suspend-to-ram works great with Catalyst 11.11 under KDE, but if I kill X and launch pm-suspend from console I cannot recover. Not a big trouble for me since I always use a graphical environment, but anyway KDE is not an issue at all for STR at least for me.

#3474 2011-12-02 22:16:37

Atondwal

Anyone with a Northern Islands (6XX0) card try do use wine with the radeon drivers? Anything that tries to use graphics acceleration (e.g. steam client, not even the games...) crashes. This happens with radeon but not catalyst.
Under catalyst:
http://pastebin.com/1Xvu5f0b
radeon:
http://pastebin.com/7PCGgKYK
I thought the problem was

fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 4 and card vendor 0000. 

so in accordance with
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24051
I made wine recognize my card.
Same thing happens. This is the log:
http://pastebin.com/nqkeSgv4

I'm going to post this as a bug in wine, but due to the "works with catalyst" nature, I thought I'd post here first to see if anyone knew what the problem is.

Last edited by Atondwal (2011-12-02 22:17:48)

#3475 2011-12-03 10:57:57

christonabike

achilleas.k wrote:

I have had a similar problem in the past with catalyst on a sony vaio / HD6470.
For me, using the following script completely fixed the problem:

#!/bin/sh
# Workaround for concurrency bug in xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.4.1-1ubuntu10.
# Save this as /etc/pm/sleep.d/00CPU

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

case "$1" in
	hibernate|suspend)
		for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/online ; do
			echo 0 >$i
		done
		;;
	thaw|resume) 
		sleep 10	# run with one core for 10 secs
		for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/online ; do
			echo 1 >$i
		done
		;;
	*)
		;;
esac

as stated in the script comments, this was originally a fix for a concurrency bug in the intel xorg module.
The script sets all bar one CPUs offline during suspend, switching them back on 10 seconds after resume.
Before using this script, suspend to ram would randomly fail with no apparent error.. usually around 1 time in 4 or 5.
I will be interested to see if it also fixes your problem. Good luck.

Board footer