You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-29 03:36:22

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile Deleted script in /etc/rc.conf dueing clean-up...can't log-in...

     Is it possible to use Arch install CD to sgway to configuration and re-install the rc data?

     Is there any particular order of operations to ensure protecting the already installed kernel and packages? :?:


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#2 2003-11-29 05:01:06

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

lilsirecho wrote:

big_smile Deleted script in /etc/rc.conf dueing clean-up...can't log-in...

     Is it possible to use Arch install CD to sgway to configuration and re-install the rc data?

     Is there any particular order of operations to ensure protecting the already installed kernel and packages? :?:

did you remove all rc scripts or just rc.conf?

i suppose you may be able use the install disc for a rescue but the install disc only has kernel 2.4.21 and if you are upto date then you will have 2.4.22.

i am not sure if i understand your last question. you should not have to delete anything manually in root. if you absolutely must then use rm -i  that way you will be polled before you earse something. generally not working as root will prvent screw ups using sudo and su can also help.


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#3 2003-11-29 05:17:23

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile hi sarah:
     I deleted script for /etc/rc.conf....I have no host ID fro boot up.

    My last question was in reference to the proposed use of the installCD to segway to configuration..... if this action introduces a requirement for running some other procedure before quitting and rebooting.

     My kermel is 2.4.21.  No upgrade....

     I hope the segway idea does not wipe out lilo or do I have to rerun lilo after changing /etc/rc.conf?


     Had a happy thanksgiving and can add to that if this fixes my system!!!!
   
     Looking for your reply...
smile


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#4 2003-11-29 05:22:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

You can try to chroot with Arch Linux CD installer and check what are missing in your HD.

1. Run AL CD installer
2. Make one temporary folder /mnt/ and mount it
# mkdir /mnt/mytmp
# mount /dev/hda(X) /mnt/mytmp (X = your partition number)
3. Chroot
# chroot /mnt/mytmp

If files are missing, copy initscript package (includes all rc files) from CD to /mnt/mytmp and install with pacman (pacman -A initscript-xx.pkg.tar.gz).

Offline

#5 2003-11-29 05:24:46

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile    I was editing rc.conf for the umpteenth time but am new to linux and wonder if I ever did edit the file correctly.

     Each time I edited for some new change, I entered the data and moved to end of the last entry and pressed enter.

     Then I selected edit...save...then .....       edit ... quit.
     Each time I did this, the original rc.conf remained in /etc/rc.conf and the edited rc.conf appeared as rc.conf~, and next time rc.conf~~ , and the next time rc.conf~~~.

     I now assume I am not editing the file correctly so I delete all but the last.

    Dumbo!!!!

    What is the correct way to edit rc.conf????


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#6 2003-11-29 05:38:04

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

lilsirecho wrote:

Each time I did this, the original rc.conf remained in /etc/rc.conf and the edited rc.conf appeared as rc.conf~, and next time rc.conf~~ , and the next time rc.conf~~~.

When you save a file, it creates a backup file of the original. The rc.conf~ is a backup file. To get more than one "~" means you are editing the backup file of rc.conf~, not the original rc.conf.

Offline

#7 2003-11-29 05:47:01

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile    Marku!!!
     I ask now what is the backup file used for if the original still stands.

     The idea was to change the original to a new file config to establish the new requirements for boot.
     I assume that I have not done the change correctly because it did not boot up the items added to Daemon and MODULES.  I ended up with four backups before I discovered the mess.
     I don't know how to edit the original /etc/rc.conf file and get it to change to the new requirements.
     What is the correct method? :?:  :?:  smile


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#8 2003-11-29 05:52:25

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

lilsirecho wrote:

     What is the correct method? :?:  :?:  smile

su -c <editorappnamehere>

edit file and save changes

usually i do "sudo vim /path/to/file"


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#9 2003-11-29 06:04:58

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

lilsirecho wrote:

I ask now what is the backup file used for if the original still stands. The idea was to change the original to a new file config to establish the new requirements for boot.

I hope we speak about the samething. I don't know what you want to change. But if it requires to change the configure in /etc/rc.conf then you have to edit the rc.conf not the rc.conf~. Arch Linux system doesn't read backup file of rc.conf. You don't make changes by creating a new file smile. Myself, whenever I get a backup file I delete it. Backup file is only good if you want to keep as reference or make it back into original by removing the "~".

Offline

#10 2003-11-29 06:06:59

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Hi sarah...

   I interpret your reply as follows...
      Su -c nano /etc/rc.conf      ... for example...  if I was up and running..kedit /etc/rc.conf

     Enter the changes in the file then save by ...Edit, save.

     I do not recognize the last line as it relates to the process of changing the original file.

     I believe that the above is equivalent to the procedure I utilized, which as root I called kedit and seqway to /etc/rc.conf and edit the file...initially the original which never changed but was always adjacent to a new rc.conf~ with the tilde attached and an icon identifier which I do not recognize...not a script symbol.  Marku says it is a back-up to the original rc.conf.
     I am operating as root, no users.

    My original is now deleted and the backup was there when the original was deleted.
   It didn't back-up!!!!


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#11 2003-11-29 06:16:38

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile    Rasat;

     During the install of modules not in the system originally when CD installed, you have to change /etc/rc.conf in order that the modules get loaded at boot.

    That is why I have to edit the file /etc/rc.conf.

    However, since I made the dumb mistake of deleting the original file in /etc/rc.conf, I can no longer boot.

    The reason we are discussing the edit process is that it was not successfully editing the original file probably because I don't know how to do that.!!!!!  I always ended up with more rc files with tilde~~~~~~ and the original never got changed!!!
   That is, until I deleted it stupidly...


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#12 2003-11-29 06:24:42

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

If you still have the backup file (rc.conf~), then chroot with Arch Linux CD installer and copy the rc.conf~ to rc.conf (cp /etc/rc.conf~ /etc/rc.conf). Then edit rc.conf with nano (if needed):
# nano -w /etc/rc.conf

To quite chroot, type "exit".

Offline

#13 2003-11-29 06:36:08

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Marku:

     Your reference to the AL CD installer and chroot is probably a good procedure.

     I left one /etc/rc.conf file in /etc but I don't know how many tilde~~~ are attached!!

     I also don't know when in the installer procedure I can enter chroot.

     I am hoping I can enter a new /etc.rc.conf in configuration section of the CD without messing up the system in another way!!!!!


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#14 2003-11-29 06:47:37

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

lilsirecho wrote:

I also don't know when in the installer procedure I can enter chroot.

Don't do any of the installer procedure. After booting, do the chroot.
To finish the chroot (to logout from HD back to CD), type "exit".

Offline

#15 2003-11-29 07:01:02

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Marku:

    We are getting closer to the solution....

    When you say ....after booting... I assume you mean after the bios is through POST and the Linux window shows...five seconds delay.

    You say enter ...chroot....at the boot prompt..

     Do I have to enter the following....Linux 2.4.21 chroot... or just chroot and the rest of the details you gave previously?  I assume I can try several times with new tilde(~) added until it says it is entered...how does it indicate that?  Finish with ...exit...

     Then it should start the boot of the kernel?

     I can appreciate this procedure because i can try it more than once with additional tilde~~~~ until it boots.

     Please confirm the correct method...


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#16 2003-11-29 07:17:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
From: Finland, working in Romania
Registered: 2002-12-27
Posts: 2,176
Website

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

Sorry not making it clear.
Boot with the CD and wait until kernel boot ends with a prompt (#).
If you plan to copy (rc.root~ to rc.conf), then you don't need to chroot but mount only.

2. Make one temporary folder /mnt/ and mount it 
# mkdir /mnt/mytmp 
# mount /dev/hda(X) /mnt/mytmp (X = your partition number)

After mounting:
# cd /mnt/mytmp/etc
# ls (view files)
then do the copy.

Chroot is needed if you run nano or other softwares. You can also edit with vi (no chroot).

Offline

#17 2003-11-29 07:19:00

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Marku..

     It would seem that the procedure to change the original file through editing is to do the same thing you suggest for this problem

     In other words, cp /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.old.
     Then ....cp/etc/rc.conf .new /etc/rc.conf.. this being the edited /etc/rc.conf.old.

     This is the classic exchange procedure!


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#18 2003-11-29 07:52:40

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Rasat;

   I understand the chroot procedure you listed previously so I opt to use that one.

     Firstly, I assume that the hdx you specify is ...root partition...

     I am hoping the CD kernel boot identifies the drive as hda and partition 3 since it has been addressed in the kernel 2.4.21 as /dev/disc/disc/part3.

     I assume I do not have to address the 2.4.21 kernel in this procedure...

    I don't have any familiarity with vi but nano will serve OK.

     One last query... if I cp /etc/rc.conf~~~~ /etc/rc.conf.... with this procedure will it not show up with the tilde~~~~?   Perhaps I can just rename /etc/rc.conf~~~ to /etc/rc.conf lol  lol
     I assume that the contents are transferred and not the ID details.  I also assume since the tilde is eliminated that the file icon script will show up in /etc/rc.conf.

     If I do not find any /etc/rc.conf with tilde, I assume I will have to use the rc.root~ cp procedure and edit using an exchange procedure so as not to generate more tildes!!

    marku?


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#19 2003-11-29 07:59:35

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Rasat...

     Your previous procedure for chroot did not call for establishing the hdd.

     I assume it is necessary to do so...


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#20 2003-11-29 08:13:35

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Rasat:
     I have the following to try for the repair:

     Boot on CD to #prompt
     #chroot
     #mkdir /mnt/mytmp
     #mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/mytmp
     #cd /mnt/mytmp
     # ls -v   |less
     #cp /etc/rc.conf(~~~) /etc/rc.conf
     # ls -v |less
     #exit


     This assumes I don't need to edit, if so ...nano...

     Is this the right approach?


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#21 2003-11-29 09:12:52

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile The results are not good for the procedure outlined.

      Reason:  mkdir  is not a command provided with the CD kernel.


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#22 2003-11-29 10:17:20

dauphin
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2003-07-09
Posts: 188

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

Hi Lilsirecho,

You have to do the mkdir and mnt commands to mount your filesystem before you can chroot into it.

Alternatively - do you not have a Live CD, even something like Knoppix,  then you could boot into that and mount your AL filesystem?  Then you would be able to browse and edit all your Arch files graphically.

Offline

#23 2003-11-29 17:53:20

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile Hello again Dauphin:

     I have no other CD to utilize....

     I performed the procedure:
       #mkdir /mnt/tmp
       # mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/tmp

     Received error...mount : /dev/hda1 in /mnt/tmp...no such file or directory

     Missing something :?:  :?:  :?:


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

#24 2003-11-29 18:31:37

dauphin
Member
From: Scotland
Registered: 2003-07-09
Posts: 188

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

Well then, when you reach the boot prompt, issue the ls command to see what directories you have available.  It doesn't matter what name you give the mount point so choose something suitable based on what you already have, do the mkdir, and then just check with ls again that it now exists if you like.  Then try mounting your Arch root volume to it.

Offline

#25 2003-11-29 18:35:13

lilsirecho
Veteran
Registered: 2003-10-24
Posts: 5,000

Re: Deleted /etc/rc.conf ...How can I repair?

big_smile  smile I will try ;
     #       (boot prompt 
     # ls -v |less


Sign of the times: Navajo blanket..made in China
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB