You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-14 19:00:10

bloodwolf

Catalyst

Hello guys

Please, I need help with the Catalyst driver for ATI radeon 3200HD, I tried to follow the instructions of the wiki, but the Catalyst driver don't generate the fglrx module. I see that the Catalyst for mi card is 10.10, I tried to downgrade the driver and the Xorg, but I broke the X. Now i'm with Vesa driver, but is horrible, with it mi max resolution is 1024x780. Any suggestion? and thanks smile

#2 2011-11-14 22:01:59

7etc/

Re: Catalyst

At first install in your pacman.conf above all repositories this catalyst repositories:
[xorg110]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/xorg110/$arch
Then down this repository install another [catalyst] repository:
[catalyst]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/catalyst/$arch
I remember you is very important put this repositories above all the others.
After that uninstall xorg-server:
#pacman -Rns xorg-server. If you need to uninstall other dependences do it and reisntall at the end
Now reinstall xorg-server:
#pacman -S xorg-server
After that, install catalyst-utils and catalyst:
#pacman -S catalyst-utils catalyst
If your installation is ok configure your catalyst:
#aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
And then add "nomodeset" to your /boot/grub/menu.lst:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda5 ro nomodeset
Reboot.
That's all.

Last edited by 7etc/ (2011-11-19 23:16:22)

#3 2011-11-18 19:29:16

7etc/

With the update of today, maybe you only need to install the principal repository:
[catalyst]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/catalyst/$arch
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then update all your system #pacman -Syu
and the rest of the process (configure with #aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
then configure /boot/grub/menu.lst= kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda5 ro nomodeset

If this don't work, probe with the two repos. (the first answer)

Last edited by 7etc/ (2011-11-18 19:43:42)

#4 2011-11-18 23:03:07

Ecky

Wish I'd seen this thread a few days ago, having some X problems of my own, part of which being only able to use the vesa driver with my radeon card, posted on the kernel/hardware but it don't seem anyone's had any ideas

Soon as I can reboot into arch I'm gonna give your solution a go 7etc/ because I was about to wipe out arch and install sabayon, I'd really rather stick with arch so your suggestion has to be worth a go before I take that step

Mainboard:  Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H  -  Processor:  Amd Phenom X6 1090T  -  Memory:  8GB (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3  -  Graphics:   XFX Ati Radeon HD 6870

#5 2011-11-19 02:00:43

Ecky

Hope I'm not commiting some kind of faux pas by jumping on the bandwagon with this thread, apologies if that's the case but this might be a useful bit of feedback

I tried the second method you outlined 7etc/ and got this message:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ati-dri: requires libgl=7.11.1

So I ran pacman -S libgl and got this:

# pacman -S libgl
warning: libgl-7.11.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

Not sure whether that means I need to downgrade 7.11.1-1 to 7.11.1 or not, but I don't know where I'd get 7.11.1  from anyway, so I think I'll toddle off and try your first method, at the very least I'll be able to report back any issues with doing it that way

Oh, almost forgot, I had to change Architecture = Auto to Architecture = x86_64 in pacman.conf or I was getting errors about x86_64 packages being the wrong architecture, and hmmm ... suggests the architecture's not gotten detected correctly somewhere along the line with the option set to auto so now I've changed that maybe I should do a pacman -Syu without the catalyst repo enabled first in case there's any package mismatches, I'll give it a shot and try again

Mainboard:  Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H  -  Processor:  Amd Phenom X6 1090T  -  Memory:  8GB (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3  -  Graphics:   XFX Ati Radeon HD 6870

#6 2011-11-19 02:49:40

Ecky

Awesome!

You get so used to extending your desktop across two monitors that when ya can't get it working right on a new OS you almost can't work on it, so even though you were trying to help someone else 7etc/ your method worked a treat for me (once I got round the issue of the CCC I'd downloaded from amd failing to uninstall itself properly that is), so if I could buy you a beer or three I most certainly would mate cos I was at my wits end and on the verge of getting rid of arch

It was the first method you posted that did it, the having to change the Architecture parm in pacman.conf must have been just a glitch of some kind that reared it's head through adding the repos (why that would happen is a complete mystery to me), aside from the hassles with getting rid of the existing CCC on the system there was one other little issue that bears a mention, I don't believe it's an arch thing as I've seen the exact same thing on both debian and opensuse

You have to run amdcccle in adminstrator mode for changes to be persistent on reboot, and some require a reboot to take effect at all (Nvidia's nvidia-settings utility behaves the same way), but the Administrator Mode shortcut on the menu fails to open CCC, it's a simple fix, how I get round it when I encounter it is:

Open the Menu Editor (right-click the launcher button and click Edit Applications)

Browse to System > AMD Catalyst Control Center (Administrative) and look at the Command box, it will have something like xdgsu -blah amdccle

Change this so it just says:  amdccle  Then click on the Advanced tab (you are currently in the General tab)

Tick the 'Run as different user'  box, in the Username box underneath type the word root (if it's not already there)

Close the Kde Menu Editor and confirm to save changes when asked

I hope that helps someone and also that your info helped bloodwolf solve his problem

Thanks a million

#7 2011-11-19 11:53:32

7etc/

When I started using Arch some people help me using the forum, so I feel obligated to do the same.
One tip for open the CCC as a normal user:
Modify that in your sudo:
#EDITOR=nano visudo
Then, into sudo look for this line and rewrite itadding /usr/bin/amdcccle at the end:
yourname ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/hibernate, /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/amdcccle.
Now, you don't need to be root to open CCC.
Oh, something else, you need to install qt without any dependences:
#pacman -S qt

Ecky, I will drink your beers tonight... Thanks

Last edited by 7etc/ (2011-11-19 12:26:33)

#8 2011-12-05 22:17:03

7etc/

Sice 20th november this method doesn't work

Last edited by 7etc/ (2011-12-08 17:41:11)

Board footer