You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-03 01:25:53

mynameisneo

Fresh install, connected wirelessly but unable to browse [SOLVED]

I just completed an install of arch linux via USB flash drive. I can connect wirelessly via network daemon and download packages via pacman, but can not browse the web or access files from the AUR via wget. What's my next step?

Last edited by mynameisneo (2011-12-09 03:58:54)

#2 2011-12-03 01:34:43

Statix

Re: Fresh install, connected wirelessly but unable to browse [SOLVED]

We'll need some more information.

You mean you can't access websites with a ping, or are you just lacking a browser/software to get to them?

Can you successfully

ping www.google.com

?

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#3 2011-12-03 02:40:03

mynameisneo

Yes, I can ping successfully, but I can't surf the web with a browser. For example, when I open firefox, I can't open web sites. In addition, when I use the following command to try to install yaourt:

wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/yaourt/yaourt.tar.gz

I get the following error:

Resolving aur.archlinux.org... failed: Name or service not known. 
wget: unable to resolve host address `aur.archlinux.org'

I have no issues with pacman or pinging.

Last edited by mynameisneo (2011-12-06 02:38:15)

#4 2011-12-03 06:27:30

RaisedFist
Website

so, how do you ping google.com if other addresses are not being resolved?

what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like? (please use bbcode... <code> </code> don't work, just put [ code ][ /code ] without the blanks, of course)

#5 2011-12-04 18:07:28

mynameisneo

Pinging google.com is successful. Browsing to google.com from firefox results in "server not found". I am currently connecting wirelessly from terminal commands:

ip link set wlan0 up 
iwconfig wlan0 essid "NETWORK NAME" key "PASS" 
iwconfig wlan0 channel auto 
dhcpcd wlan0

Here is my /etc/resolv.conf:

#Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
#/etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line 
nameserver 192.168.1.254
#/etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line 
RaisedFist wrote:

so, how do you ping google.com if other addresses are not being resolved?

what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like? (please use bbcode... <code> </code> don't work, just put [ code ][ /code ] without the blanks, of course)

#6 2011-12-04 20:52:59

xjwellsx

Have you tried connecting with the wicd command line interface. You can get it through pacman with pacman -S wicd, and then use wicd_curses I think.

#7 2011-12-05 04:45:57

mynameisneo

I took your advice and installed wicd and connected successfully to my network with wicd-curses and was able to ping www.google.com successfully. However, I have the same issue with firefox. I am going to try another web browser and see if there is any difference. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

xjwellsx wrote:

Have you tried connecting with the wicd command line interface. You can get it through pacman with pacman -S wicd, and then use wicd_curses I think.

#8 2011-12-05 21:52:30

nomilieu

I had the same problems when connecting at my father's house; it turns out his router is totally lacking in ipv6 support.
There is a wiki entry on disabling it if that turns out to be your problem. (Also, Firefox has a related option in about:config.)

Try giving wget -4 [the_url] a shot.

#9 2011-12-06 04:08:47

mynameisneo

You were right on the money! It was a firefox issue with IPV6. I went to the mozilla support page and followed the following instructions:

IPv6
Firefox supports IPv6 by default, which may cause connection problems on certain systems. To disable IPv6 in Firefox:

In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
In the Filter field, type network.dns.disableIPv6.
In the list of preferences, double-click network.dns.disableIPv6 to set its value to true.

Thank you for your help.

nomilieu wrote:

I had the same problems when connecting at my father's house; it turns out his router is totally lacking in ipv6 support.
There is a wiki entry on disabling it if that turns out to be your problem. (Also, Firefox has a related option in about:config.)

Try giving wget -4 [the_url] a shot.

#10 2011-12-06 14:02:38

nomilieu

No problem. That won't fix your other programs (e.g. wget) that are having trouble though.
I eventually had to do this (method 2) as well, which is easy enough to edit if you move your computer to a more favorable location (for ipv6, that is).

Also, it's good practice to mark a solved thread [Solved] in the title, assuming the issue is entirely fixed.

Board footer