You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-22 14:04:27

sisco88

xfce4 gives black screen after logout.

Hi there its me again!

At first when i had a clean install of arch (64bit) and xfce4 logging out got me back to the terminal asking me to log in. but after installing some software (sabnzbd, vlc etc.) logging out only gives me a black screen and after a few seconds my screens turns off. i already tried reinstalling the x86-video-ati drivers wich didnt work?

it has me confused really since i didnt change anything related to the video settings or anything, i only tried installing compiz wich crahsed my computer and the i uninstalled it and went back to use xfwm4 again wich works fine.

can anyone help?

thanks,
Sisco

#2 2011-01-22 17:22:17

dvdhrm

Re: xfce4 gives black screen after logout.

Does pressing ctrl+alt+F1  or ctrl+alt+F7  bring up some login-window when the screen is blank? This would mean that xfce switches back to the wrong terminal after logging off or that your x-server is not correctly restarted.

#3 2011-01-22 19:18:20

sisco88

switching to a different terminal doesnt work. i have to manualy turn of the computer (holding power button for some time)

#4 2011-01-22 20:15:36

dvdhrm

Try narrowing down the problem. After logging out from xfce4 it normally does not spawn any new processes that means the X-Server should shut down and return the control. Somehow there is some process you have that comes in the way, it is hard to predict what it is.
How do you start your xfce4 session? gdm/kdm or some other desktop manager? Or via "startx" / "xinit" or some self-written script? The process that spawns your X-Session gets control after that session is closed so check whether control is returned or not.
Try starting the x-server via "startx" from a terminal, try shutting down the x-server via ctrl+alt+backspace (with newer x-server releases you need to enable this first), try some other window manager, try switching to some terminal and killing the x-server via "killall X" or at least try to give some more information.
If you have the MagicSysRq Key enabled, then try alt+sysrq+r and then switch to VT1 or so to investigate.

Really, any information is usefull here wink

#5 2011-01-23 17:52:46

sisco88

Thanks for the help, i will try to give you some more information as soon as i get the chance.

#6 2011-01-26 09:38:11

sisco88

Ok so i have tried some of the things you told me and nothing seems to work.

i start me desktop enviorement using

startxfce4

wich gives me a black screen after logout.
the same thing happens when launching the default x desktop

startx

when using

quit

gives me a black screen.

if i remember correctly i also lost the mouse pointer in terminal (dont know if this has anything to do with it)

so here is what i did

- Installed arch linux
- Updated entire system with

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Su

-then i proceeded with installing xorg and xfce was finished for day 1

-now a few days later i did another system update

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Su

i cant remeber exactly but i think this is when it happenend.

#7 2011-01-29 16:14:40

twm

I've had the same thing happen for quite some time (probably last 6 months).  Been using XFCE for years and Nvidia's drivers with a GeForce 7600 GS card.  When XFCE logs out the VC is blank.  The system is still responsive and I can type commands (just can't see them).  Doing an up arrow then hitting enter will start X again and the screen becomes visible.

I always start XFCE with startx and my .xinitrc contains:

exec ck-launch-session /usr/bin/startxfce4

I've check for X still running after logout and it's not running.  Control is passed back to vc1.  Issuing "reset" has no effect.  Switching to different vc's works, but screen is still blank.

Switching to VC1 while X is running yields a blank screen as well.  But I just noticed to get back to X it's on VC8.  I thought the first X session always started at VC7.  When did this change?

Of course rebooting fixes it, but that's not a workable solution.

Can anyone think of something else to check?

Ok just for fun I tried LXDE and didn't have any blank screen issues.  X was running in VC7 as expected unlike XFCE which for some reason has X running in VC8.  I'll continue testing and report any interesting findings.

Last edited by twm (2011-01-29 16:32:20)

-twm

#8 2011-02-01 17:48:36

twm

Latest updates seem to have fixed this issue.

-twm

#9 2011-12-06 18:31:26

bwat47

I just did a fresh install of arch (net install so its updated) and am having this exact issue still... I am using GDM to start xfce.

EDIT: nvm lol... ran another update and this time a polkit update came up with seemed to fix it.

Last edited by bwat47 (2011-12-06 18:34:34)

Board footer