You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-02 03:13:39

kare

[SOLVED] mplayer2, white pixels on screen

EDIT: Solved on its own with a recent update, before I could find out the reason.

I have noticed today that white pixels started to appear on the screen when playing fullscreen videos with mplayer2 (EDIT: not necessarily fullscreen, appears in windows too). Forgive me for being vague, but I have very little information on this, and I had no success in trying to isolate the problem. I wanted to see if anyone has a better idea what is going on:

White pixels appear at arbitrary times and positions on the screen, and stay there forever, even when seeking. They disappear for a while when I switch to windowed mode and back to fullscreen. I tested this with various video formats, all the same. The white spots cannot be seen in screenshots.

I can reproduce the issue in 2 other Arch boxes I have.

I tried to downgrade the recently updated video/subtitle/graphics related packages, to no avail. This is not a rare occurrence and is very easy to notice, so I am pretty certain that this was not the case until 29th November, because I spent the whole day watching movies. I have a fourth Arch box which has not been upgraded since 20 November, and it works fine.

Last edited by kare (2011-12-07 06:28:01)

#2 2011-12-02 04:31:40

Grinch

Re: [SOLVED] mplayer2, white pixels on screen

kare wrote:

I have noticed today that white pixels started to appear on the screen

Your weren't by any chance looking at pron were you?

Sorry I just had to wink  Hope someone can help you with this problem.

#3 2011-12-07 06:26:12

kare

Re: [SOLVED] mplayer2, white pixels on screen

I updated for the first time after my original post, and the problem is gone. It still persists on machines that are not up-to-date, so it seems some update that was issued during the past 7 days fixed it -- I see many codecs and other relevant libraries.

Yet another problem that's fixed without anyone noticing... I am marking this solved.

Board footer