You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-09 13:16:01

gdkags

[wmii/i3] weird focus issues w/ tiling window managers

Hi guys,

this totally robs me of my sanity.

I was using wmii on a daily basis. Now, after I reinstalled my desktop my wmii behaves strangely.

Problem 1: When I use Thunderbird, I can do anything I want until I open another window. It is focused alright (border focus changes), but I can not interact with my mouse.
So, to reproduce, I open Thunderbird click on a message, then hit reply. If I want to click on "Send", the button does not change shape, it won't recognize that the pointer is hovering over it.

Problem 2.1: With Firefox it's even more fucked up. When I open any site with embedded flash, I cannot interact with the flash elements until I switch focus to another tag, then when I come back, interaction with flash is possible.
But when I want to use the HTML elements or even handle tabs on Firefox it is not possible until I switch back and forth between tags to make them usable again.
Problem 2.2: When a download starts the dialog pops up and if i want to click the OK button to start it (the border says it's focused) the mouse clicks just through it and uses the window behind it.

Problem 3: Kmymoney is even (!) harder to use because every interaction in a different element of kmymoney grabs hold of the focus and does not let go of it until you switch tags back and forth.

This makes me so maaaaaaad.

I then switched to i3 and it does the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by gdkags (2011-12-11 19:08:39)

#2 2011-12-09 13:20:40

gdkags

Re: [wmii/i3] weird focus issues w/ tiling window managers

I just updated, and finally this is resolved... Sorry for bothering anyone hmm

#3 2011-12-11 19:09:14

gdkags

Well my problem is back. I don't get this sad

#4 2011-12-12 15:54:34

xorr

using i3 i'm having a similar problem with netbeans,
as i swap from the netbeans workspace to the e.g. web workspace the entry cursor suddendly vanishes. it still does register clicks
but i cant use the keyboard to enter stuff until i switch tabs.

i was having the same problems with xmonad where this is a known problem but i was not able to fix it according to the given solutions.
thats why i made the switch.

#5 2011-12-12 23:18:43

eDio

I might misunderstood you, but seems that I had similar issue after performing wmiirc command from wmii actions menu.
Killing all wmiirc processes and launching wmiirc again by hand (actions menu won't works without wmiirc script) always solves the issue for me.

#6 2011-12-14 14:11:52

gdkags

eDio, sadly, that does not resolve my problems. I'm glad it worked for you.

xorr, do you have x86_64 or just x86?

Anyone else?

#7 2012-07-17 17:19:36

gdkags

I still do have this problem. Did anyone else experience this lately?

Board footer