You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-21 22:11:49

wanderingidea
Website

Cannot find xfce4 sub menu

Hi,

I cannot change the items in the xfce4 sub menu 'Network' when I use the menu editor because the sub menu 'Network' is not displayed in the menu editor.

In the filesystem I can only find some xml files under .cache but changing them directly does not seem to have any effect (like can be expected).

Does anyone has any suggestions? It is driving me crazy by now after a few hours searching.
Thanks!

Cor

#2 2005-07-21 23:25:45

elasticdog
Website

Re: Cannot find xfce4 sub menu

I'm not sure where all of the information is stored, but for most programs, the installers create .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/  You can just load foo.desktop up in your favorite text editor, and edit away.

For information on the syntax and suggested categories, check out the links posted by iphitus on this thread: .desktop File Options

If you don't see one for the application you're looking for, I'm afraid I don't have the answer for you.  Many of the Xfce tools and stuff don't appear there, so you may have to hunt them down and see where they're located.  I would imagine they are also .desktop files, simply stored in a safe /opt/xfce place.

#3 2005-07-22 06:00:10

wanderingidea
Website

Thanks very much for the information!
I should be able to organize my menu now by searching .desktop files and editting them.
Although a very fine piece of work the xfce menu editting facilities could do with an extention for these 'semi-autogenerated' sub menus because they just are not visible from within the menu editor.
Or there may be an idea behind it that I do not understand (yet) smile And of course it is software in progress.
Anyway, thanks again.

elasticdog wrote:

I'm not sure where all of the information is stored, but for most programs, the installers create .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/  You can just load foo.desktop up in your favorite text editor, and edit away.

For information on the syntax and suggested categories, check out the links posted by iphitus on this thread: .desktop File Options

If you don't see one for the application you're looking for, I'm afraid I don't have the answer for you.  Many of the Xfce tools and stuff don't appear there, so you may have to hunt them down and see where they're located.  I would imagine they are also .desktop files, simply stored in a safe /opt/xfce place.

smile  smile

#4 2005-07-22 11:45:50

jackmetal

If using xfce, the .xfce in your home dir will contain a menu file you can manually edit: xfwm.user_menu

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#5 2005-07-22 13:53:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

XFCE's config is in ~/.config/xfce4

#6 2005-07-22 20:39:31

elasticdog