You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-13 22:41:13

YAOMTC

UDev errors at boot (harmless?) [SOLVED]

Arch still boots fine, I'm just wondering why this comes up:

:: Waiting for UDev events to be processed
udev[196]: error opening ATTR{/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sda/sda3/queue/rotational} for writing: No such file or directory
udev[197]: error opening ATTR{/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sda/sda4/queue/rotational} for writing: No such file or directory
udev[193]: error opening ATTR{/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sda/sda1/queue/rotational} for writing: No such file or directory

Only other place I've found something like this is on a Red Hat bug report for Fedora.

Last edited by YAOMTC (2011-12-20 06:45:34)

#2 2011-12-14 17:17:39

tomegun
Developer

Re: UDev errors at boot (harmless?) [SOLVED]

What kind of disk is your /dev/sda ?

#3 2011-12-14 20:02:02

YAOMTC

tomegun wrote:

What kind of disk is your /dev/sda ?

It's the main storage of my Eee PC 900. I think it uses flash memory rather than an SSD like a newer one might.

#4 2011-12-14 21:10:16

tomegun
Developer

It does not make much sense to write to that file, so that is a bit weird for starters. Could you check that you don't have any leftover udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d ? If there is nothing there, then try "grep rotational /lib/udev/rules.d/*".

If nothing there either please paste the output of

udevadm info -n /dev/sda1 -a

#5 2011-12-15 02:29:28

YAOMTC

$ grep rotational /lib/udev/rules.d/*
/lib/udev/rules.d/61-eee-ssd.rules:# ensure our SSD drive is set up as non-rotational
/lib/udev/rules.d/61-eee-ssd.rules:ACTION=="add" SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x1043", ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x82d8", ATTR{queue/rotational}="0"
/lib/udev/rules.d/61-eee-ssd.rules:ACTION=="add" SUBSYSTEM=="block", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x1043", ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x830f", ATTR{queue/rotational}="0"

Thought I'd go ahead and try this too:

http://dpaste.org/FMT96/

#6 2011-12-15 11:26:14

tomegun
Developer

Ok, so that rule (61-eee-ssd.rules) does not make much sense. Where does it come from? You should file a bug report against that package. This can be safely ignored I think.

#7 2011-12-17 18:40:31

YAOMTC

What package are we talking about here?

#8 2011-12-17 18:46:54

tomegun
Developer

Don't know, never seen such files before. `pacman -Qo /lib/udev/rules.d/61-eee-ssd.rules` will tell you.

#9 2011-12-17 18:59:47

YAOMTC

Oh, kernel-eee. I'm not sure I even ever used that. I'm also not sure whether it's kernel-eee-lts or kernel-eeepc-901 (probably the former since mine is a 900)... Oh well, it's been removed. Thanks!

EDIT: This solved the problem, the error is now gone.

Now all I have left to do is figure out why mtab / mounting local filesystem fails. Which doesn't seem to impact anything either. I looked at my fstab and it looks alright...

EDIT(2): Wait, why is there a swap? I never set that up... I disabled swap. Hm... Okay, I removed that line, and now mtab doesn't fail, though "Mounting Local Filesystems" still does. Oh well, no big deal.

Last edited by YAOMTC (2011-12-17 19:14:43)

#10 2011-12-17 19:42:00

tomegun
Developer

What do you mean "mtab failed"? Are you using the latest initscripts from testing? If "mounting local filesystems" fails that sounds like bad news...

#11 2011-12-17 20:37:37

YAOMTC

tomegun wrote:

What do you mean "mtab failed"? Are you using the latest initscripts from testing? If "mounting local filesystems" fails that sounds like bad news...

I mean when I'm booting, and it's listing the status of each part of the startup process.

:: Adjusting system time and setting kernel timezone    [DONE]
:: Starting UDev Daemon    [DONE]
:: Triggering UDev uevents    [DONE]
:: Loading User-specified Modules    [DONE]
:: Waiting for UDev uevents to be processed    [DONE]
:: Bringing up loopback interface    [DONE]
:: Checking Filesystems    [DONE]
:: Remounting Root Read/Write    [DONE]
:: Creating mtab    [DONE]
:: Mounting Local Filesystems    [FAIL]
:: Activating Swap [DONE]

and so on. Come to think of it, before I removed the swap line from fstab today, the "Activating Swap" line was always [FAIL], but now it says [DONE]. That's weird, 'cause I'm sure I disabled swap on install...

Anyway, I haven't noticed any filesystem problems. I just figured I'd fix whatever's "broken", though it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

#12 2011-12-19 10:38:17

tomegun
Developer

YAOMTC wrote:
tomegun wrote:

I mean when I'm booting, and it's listing the status of each part of the startup process.

:: Adjusting system time and setting kernel timezone    [DONE]
:: Starting UDev Daemon    [DONE]
:: Triggering UDev uevents    [DONE]
:: Loading User-specified Modules    [DONE]
:: Waiting for UDev uevents to be processed    [DONE]
:: Bringing up loopback interface    [DONE]
:: Checking Filesystems    [DONE]
:: Remounting Root Read/Write    [DONE]
:: Creating mtab    [DONE]
:: Mounting Local Filesystems    [FAIL]
:: Activating Swap [DONE]

and so on. Come to think of it, before I removed the swap line from fstab today, the "Activating Swap" line was always [FAIL], but now it says [DONE]. That's weird, 'cause I'm sure I disabled swap on install...

Anyway, I haven't noticed any filesystem problems. I just figured I'd fix whatever's "broken", though it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

Ah, now it is clear. I was stupidly looking at the wrong release of initscripts (in the most recent one we no longer have the "Creating mtab" line).

The swap stuff makes sense: you disabled it, but there was still that stray line in your fstab, so when initscripts tried to enable it it did not work (as your /dev/sda2 was not a swap partition). Now there is no line in fstab, so enabling nothing succeeds ;-)

It is odd that mounting local filesystems fails. Could you check that all your filesystems are indeed mounted (with findmnt), and if not tell me the result of "mount -a"? If everything is indeed mounted then please check if the most recent initscripts still gives the failure on boot, in that case this is a false negative that we should somehow figure out...

#13 2011-12-19 20:44:19

YAOMTC

tomegun wrote:

It is odd that mounting local filesystems fails. Could you check that all your filesystems are indeed mounted (with findmnt), and if not tell me the result of "mount -a"? If everything is indeed mounted then please check if the most recent initscripts still gives the failure on boot, in that case this is a false negative that we should somehow figure out...

$ findmnt
TARGET                SOURCE           FSTYPE                OPTIONS
/                     /dev/sda3        ext4                  rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered
├─/proc               proc             proc                  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/sys                /sys             sysfs                 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/dev                udev             devtmpfs              rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=127204,mode=755
│ ├─/dev/pts                           devpts                rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000
│ └─/dev/shm                           tmpfs                 rw,relatime
│   └─/dev/shm                         tmpfs                 rw,relatime
├─/run                /run             tmpfs                 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755
├─/boot               /dev/sda1        ext2                  rw,relatime,errors=continue
└─/home               /dev/sda4        ext4                  rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered
  └─/home/chris/.gvfs gvfs-fuse-daemon fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000

Don't see anything wrong there, do you?

Not sure what file I look at for the initscripts... /etc/rc.sysinit?

#14 2011-12-19 22:22:50

tomegun
Developer

Looks all good. If there is a mistake it would be in rc.sysinit (or possibly /etc/rc.d/functions). If you notice any more weirdness, please let me know, but otherwise don't worry...

#15 2011-12-20 03:00:32

YAOMTC

tomegun wrote:

Looks all good. If there is a mistake it would be in rc.sysinit (or possibly /etc/rc.d/functions). If you notice any more weirdness, please let me know, but otherwise don't worry...

Relevant sections from rc.sysinit:

# mount /proc, /sys, /run, /dev, /run/lock, /dev/pts, /dev/shm (the api filesystems)
mountpoint -q /proc    || mount -n -t proc proc /proc -o nosuid,noexec,nodev
mountpoint -q /sys     || mount -n -t sysfs sys /sys -o nosuid,noexec,nodev
mountpoint -q /run     || mount -n -t tmpfs run /run -o mode=0755,nosuid,nodev
mountpoint -q /dev     || mount -n -t devtmpfs udev /dev -o mode=0755,nosuid ||
  mount -n -t tmpfs udev /dev -o mode=0755,nosuid
mkdir -p -m 1777 /run/lock
mkdir -p /dev/{pts,shm}
mountpoint -q /dev/pts || mount -n /dev/pts &>/dev/null ||
  mount -n -t devpts devpts /dev/pts -o mode=0620,gid=5,nosuid,noexec
mountpoint -q /dev/shm || mount -n /dev/shm &>/dev/null ||
  mount -n -t tmpfs shm /dev/shm -o mode=1777,nosuid,nodev

if [[ ! -e /run/initramfs/fsck-root ]]; then
  # remount root ro to allow for fsck later on, we remount now to
  # make sure nothing can open files rw on root which would block a remount
  findmnt / --options ro &>/dev/null ||
    status "Mounting Root Read-Only" mount -n -o remount,ro /
fi
run_hook sysinit_premount
status "Mounting Local Filesystems" \
  mount_all
run_hook sysinit_postmount

from functions:

mount_all() {
  mount -a -t "nosysfs,no${NETFS//,/,no}" -O no_netdev
}

I'm not worried, seeing as I've had no filesystem problems. I'm just thinking it'd be best to have everything go just the way it should, so as to be more efficient or clean or something.

Last edited by YAOMTC (2011-12-20 03:01:50)

#16 2011-12-20 04:38:52

skunktrader

YAOMTC wrote:
$ findmnt
/                     /dev/sda3        ext4                  rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered
├─/proc               proc             proc                  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/sys                /sys             sysfs                 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
├─/dev                udev             devtmpfs              rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=127204,mode=755
│ ├─/dev/pts                           devpts                rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000
├─/run                /run             tmpfs                 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755
├─/boot               /dev/sda1        ext2                  rw,relatime,errors=continue
└─/home               /dev/sda4        ext4                  rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered
  └─/home/chris/.gvfs gvfs-fuse-daemon fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000

Don't see anything wrong there, do you?

Are you sure that this is OK?

On my machine the output is the same apart from the /dev/shm reference to /dev/shm

#17 2011-12-20 06:45:01

YAOMTC

Actually, the problem is gone now. Not sure what did it -- I did just today uninstall clyde, install packer, and did a full sync and upgrade, so I suppose one of those updates must have done it.

#18 2011-12-20 11:17:39

tomegun
Developer

Right, you might want to remove the /dev/shm and /dev/pts entries as these are done automatically by rc.initscripts :-)

Board footer