You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-22 05:22:22

Cronanius

startx and wicd-curses commands not found after huge -Syu

Heya,

I've been using ArchLinux for a few years now, but I feel like this is really more of a newbie question, and I'm just missing something obvious.

I did an enormous pacman -Syu on my little netbook yesterday, and after the update I'm having issues with Xorg and wicd-curses. Pacman adamantly tells me that X is installed (including the relevant xorg-xinit package), but the only command I can use to start it now is "Xorg". "startx" and "X" no longer work, and it doesn't seem to obey the .xinitrc file in my home directory; specifically, it will no longer load fluxbox when started from the command line. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the xorg package set, to no avail. I haven't yet attempted an auto-load via SLiM; if people think this is a worthy idea, then I will set it up. Also, I'm not sure what wicd-curses' issue is, but it doesn't want to find its start-up command, either.

I had a small issue with the netbook that occurred after I did the system upgrade that might be the cause of the problem. After I did the system upgrade, I had left it sitting in the tty while I read a book, and the screen shut off, and I was unable to turn it back on, so I was forced to "force-restart" the computer. It was very unhappy about this, and so I had to run fsck and fix the big mess I made. So I'm wondering if some screwed up indexes that fsck "fixed" are causing this mess, and maybe I should just re-install Arch?

In any case, that is my problem, and I hope somebody understands my rambling well enough to point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!
~Cronanius.

Perpetually an Arch Newbie. I'm here for the operating system, not the philosophy.

#2 2011-12-22 06:35:17

skunktrader

Re: startx and wicd-curses commands not found after huge -Syu

Did you try running

pacman -Qk

yet?

#3 2011-12-22 07:02:50

Meyithi
Website

Re: startx and wicd-curses commands not found after huge -Syu

The xorg group was split months and months ago, so for startx you'll need to install xorg-xinit, best check the xorg wiki.  Same with weechat, that was split into gtk and cli packages.

You can expect this sort of behavior when you run arch and don't update regually.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

Board footer