You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-28 04:27:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

XFree and MPlayer problems...

Ok I've come across 2 problems which I believe need to be addressed... let me start with some background:

Whenever I run MPlayer I get a message saying "XShape is not available" - now XShape is what renders non-square windows... without it most apps will fill in area black to make a square (find if the BG is black though).  So I did some checking and after looking through google/irc/PKGBUILDs I learned two things:

1) xfree needs to be compiled with --enable-shape for the XShape extension
2) mplayer is compiled with --disable-alsa.... why is this?

I would like any input on these issues if anyone cares... I am currently compiling mplayer with alsa enabled and will be recompiling xfree soon (when the 9999999MB files finish downloading heh)

#2 2003-11-28 04:32:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: XFree and MPlayer problems...

I may have slightly jumped the gun.... --enable-shape doesn't work directly... it requires a #define which should be there and I have no clue why it is not... I'll do more digging.

#3 2003-11-28 05:07:28

sarah31
Website

--disable-alsa i there because some people do not use alsa. if it were enabled it would require depends for alsa giving those people who don't want alsa alsa packages. it is easier for alsa user to rebuild this package with the configure option than it is for a non alsa user to compile out alsa.

i belive that we are phasing out this policy. likely the next mplayer upgrade will be alsa enabled. this for tw reasons:

1. the upcoming 2.6 kernel will have alsa (though for some reason OSS is still there)

and

2. some packages are very diufficult to compileout alsa support, if like many of the developers, you use alsa. i am thinking here of the sdl packages (sdl_sound, etc)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-11-28 05:24:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I may have misinterperated the ./configure --help output, but I was under the impressing support for things such as alsa were detected at run on initialization... perhaps they are detected on compile.... hrm.

Any idea about XShape sarah?

#5 2003-11-28 06:19:23

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Where do you see the XShape is not available?  I've never seen that with mplayer... I was under the impression that things as simple as XShape were compiled into the xfree package...

When something in compiled in it means that the libraries are linked (dynamically) to the binary.  When you try to run the binary you have to have those libraries or the binary won't run.  Compile time options have to be included as dependencies to a package or else it won't run right after it's been installed.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-11-28 07:30:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah I understand that - the problem is that I am using stock arch packages (aside from fluxbox-unstable from contrasutra)

When mplayer first starts there is a popup box listing it - try using a non-square skin or something (under fluxbox the popup is on the same layer as the desktop so you have to shade the mplayer window itself first)

#7 2003-11-28 14:53:17

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmmm... maybe fluxbox isn't compiled with XShape...?  After all, it is the window manager...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2003-11-30 11:19:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I was under the impression that XShape is part of XFree and not fluxbox.... perhaps you are correct though assuming the other fluxbox problems I am having.... maybe I'll try cvs code

Board footer