You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-25 21:38:14

Gevalentino

Fan not working properlly after suspend/hibernate, help plz.

My fan isn't working properly, well isn't wroking at all for an unkwon reason(at least to me) after suspend or hibernate, i need to reboot to get them to work again. I wouldn't care if this wasn't bad for my notebook. I have a Dell Studio 1555, BIOS v: A 13 running on 3.1.5-1-ARCH with gnome 3. Well i've been searching for past few days and i can't get any info, can any1 point me on the right direction? So you know how bad this issue is my laptop turned off llast night after resue, due to high temp. Any advice is welcomed.

PD: Sorry for my English.

#2 2011-12-25 22:36:09

olorian

Re: Fan not working properlly after suspend/hibernate, help plz.

Shutdown for overheating reasons is pretty common, I dare say, when fans don't work as they should. Does this issue happen with other kernels too? Have you been experiencing this problem in the past as well? As the 3.1.5 is pretty new I doubt you could find specific infos very soon..
Take into account that graphic card drivers [be it nvidia, ati or intel] could interfere with suspension and hibernation as well.

#3 2011-12-25 23:34:22

Gevalentino

I'm using open source ati drivers, and i can't talk about previous kernels, because i'm new to Arch, and linux in general. The thing is, that fans work fine, speed changes according to cpu temp and usage, but when i suspend/hibernate and resume, they just won't start!, i have to reboot to get them to work again. I keep looking and can't find any info.

#4 2011-12-26 16:28:44

Gevalentino

Searching i found this,
Update on 01.01.2010 by Akeiron: WARNING ABOUT Kernel >=2.6.32 The last kernel known to work flawlessly with this laptop is some 2.6.31. The problem with the acpi ec driver SEEMS gone, and it is unless you suspend and then resume with NO battery. There is no message whatsoever but the fan control doesn't work anymore so the CPU overheats and the system is shutting down eventually. I tested this with gentoo-sources, tuxonice-sources and vanilla-sources. There are problems in other distros, too. If the battery is present, then everything works like charm with kernel 2.6.35. I guess some script tweaking can solve the problem, but no clues so far.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Dell_Studio_1555
Any1 knows any fix? they suggest recompiling the kernel, by uncommenting goto end in acpi_ec_transaction, aany else dealed with something like this?

Board footer