You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-23 20:35:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Palm won't sync

The device is a Palm Tungsten T5. I can connect to it via mass storage driver, but I can't get it to sync using JPilot or KPilot. I moved to the command line. Google tells me that pilot-xfer -p <device> -L should give some output. I tried this (with device being /dev/tts/USB0.

It says

dusty:~ $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/tts/USB0 -L

Listening to port: /dev/tts/USB0

Please press the HotSync button now...

I press the hotsync button (Always good at following istructions: It says its connected, but I get this error:

Error read system info on /dev/tts/USB0

Any ideas? According to the kpilot site, pilot-link 0.11.8 is supposed to work with the T5. Am I messing something else up? Just missing a command option?

No idea what I'm doing here. ;-) I thought it might be kernel module related or something. I'm using dibble's cko kernel from [community].

Dusty

#2 2005-07-24 08:06:34

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Palm won't sync

its not a permissions thing ?

Mr Green

#3 2005-07-24 17:47:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't think so. From the error, its connecting to the device, but they aren't comumnicating. Like a married couple.

Dusty

#4 2005-07-24 18:27:02

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

:cry:

Mr Green

#5 2005-07-24 23:51:59

thomas23

There is a tricky thing about USB devices, they are not all as universal as USB is supposed to be. There is several different communication protocols. Two exemples out of my life :

I bought a mp3 player similar to iPod but made by iRiver to work with PCs. Can't connect the thing to work like a mass storage device. Nobody has even been able (yet) to hack into it with Linux... Really make to work under Windows... :x not PC.

So, learning by mistakes... I google a bit to find what was working under Linux. Stuff from apple were still capable of communicating like mass storage devices but had a new database. So, nothing was develop for the very newish ones.

Your Thungsten T5 seems really new. Maybe Palm decided to screw everything up without advising the Linux community  :shock:  !!! If it is the case, you have two options... Guess what?! You wait for someone to develop or patch something, or you get your hands dirty and join a Palm community. There is people that work especially on these devices. Even people that manage to put Linux on a Palm !

#6 2005-08-11 23:48:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Its still not working with KPilot, though at least its not crashing now. Pilot-link appears to be working just fine though. The trick is to press the Hotsync button and wait three seconds before running pilot-link.

For those interested, the Tungsten T5 is a bit odd. I found this page a little helpful:

http://weblog.zoup.org/index.php?op=Vie … 3&blogId=1

Dusty

Board footer