You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-25 18:50:31

AleXoundOS
Website

PIII Celeron hangs or reboots when "Waiting for UDev uevents to be..."

Hello

I want to mention that the only way I can boot a Linux kernel on this machine is adding "no-hlt" option. Additionally the Arch installation image reboots shortly after the boot loader's menu is printed, perhaps due to requesting the "no_hlt" instruction.
So I placed the contents of Arch installation LiveCD on the hard drive and installed GRUB using Knoppix.

The problem is that when Arch installation image boots the system hangs or reboots on this stage: "Waiting for UDev uevents to be prcessed", or here with debug option. Sometimes it hangs 3 lines earlier, but more often it reboots.
So it's hard to recognize the exact reason of the issue.

May be I need to bypass some uevents? Or there are some failsafe boot options of Arch installation image?
What can you recommend?

Last edited by AleXoundOS (2011-11-25 18:51:01)

#2 2011-12-26 13:50:27

1archgamenon2
Banned

Re: PIII Celeron hangs or reboots when "Waiting for UDev uevents to be..."

That's exactly my problem!

#3 2011-12-26 14:07:38

1archgamenon2
Banned

AleXoundOS wrote:

Hello

I want to mention that the only way I can boot a Linux kernel on this machine is adding "no-hlt" option. Additionally the Arch installation image reboots shortly after the boot loader's menu is printed, perhaps due to requesting the "no_hlt" instruction.
So I placed the contents of Arch installation LiveCD on the hard drive and installed GRUB using Knoppix.

The problem is that when Arch installation image boots the system hangs or reboots on this stage: "Waiting for UDev uevents to be prcessed", or here with debug option. Sometimes it hangs 3 lines earlier, but more often it reboots.
So it's hard to recognize the exact reason of the issue.

May be I need to bypass some uevents? Or there are some failsafe boot options of Arch installation image?
What can you recommend?

can someone help with this?

#4 2011-12-27 02:44:29

1archgamenon2
Banned

No  one? ...

#5 2011-12-28 15:26:14

AleXoundOS
Website

I tried the same CPU with another PIII motherboard and surprisingly the "no_hlt" instruction existed. So the lack of this instruction is related to the motherboard or may be broken BIOS.
But the problem of hanging on "Waiting for UDev uevents to be prcessed" still exists for such PIII motherboards that do not support "no_hlt" instruction...

Last edited by AleXoundOS (2011-12-28 15:27:21)

Board footer