You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-30 21:15:35

Giniu
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

wacom-drivers package going down soon, for now it becomes virtual one

I decided to let users know about wacom-drivers package going down. I maintained this package as a extended/modified vesion of linuxwacom-bamboo-ctf-ctl package, with bunch of kernel and X patches. Recenty, I noticed that this package wasn't really needed, and it's by far better to use more modular approach - it's easier to maintain that way. Also, you can decide what you want, which is more Arch-way instead of install all the stuff...

those are current choices for Wacom support:

kernel driver: nothing or wacom-next-git or wacom-next-linux-git or wacom-mainline-linux-git
X driver: xf86-input-wacom or xf86-input-wacom-git
udev rules: wacom-udev
inputattach tool: linuxconsole

when you want what?

If your device is working with xf86-input-wacom and default linux kernel, just go for it. It is maintained well.

If your device does not work or you need new features, switch to xf86-input-wacom-git and/or custom kernel driver - one that comes from stable (wacom-linux-git, like 3.1.*) or next branch (wacom-next-linux-git, like 3.2.*) or even mainline branch (wacom-mainline-linux-git, like 3.3.*). For example right now (latest stable is 3.1.6) Cintiq24 is supported only in mainline branch, OLED support is already in next branch, and there are no new changes on stable branch over 3.1.6.

If you use serial device and want to use it with /dev/input, install linuxconsole (wacom patches were merged upstream, this is where this tool comes from). Otherwise you don't need it.

If you use multiple tablets or want to call them by name, install wacom-udev rules. Otherwise your device should work without it. Udev rules is also no longer part of xf86-input-wacom-git to make it like xf86-input-wacom.

There is also a new package, libwacom - which is C library for probing of wacom devices. Useful for developers who wants to make apps supporting wacom devices. I hope it will be easier to maintain that way, monolitic wacom-drivers was taking too much of my time. Just for now I will make wacom-drivers a virtual package that requires xf86-input-wacom, wacom-udev and linuxconsole, but I might as well get rid of it.

In short, I believe that wacom support matured enough for wacom-drivers package becoming obsolete.

edit: I also updated wacom wiki page a bit, with pointers to some aur packages and general fixes.

Last edited by Giniu (2011-12-30 21:57:23)

My GPG fingerprint: 7170 26A9 D477 9FC5 3940  7266 40F5 57B7 3149 6106

Board footer