You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-13 01:51:15

wolfdogg
Member
From: Portland, OR, USA
Registered: 2011-05-21
Posts: 545

terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

when i open terminal in KDE the terminal shrinks down to a miniscule size, when i expand it back, it shrinks and wraps down again a line at a time.  IT doesnt do this when its on fullscreen. Wierd behaviour.  it doesnt do this in gnome on the same system.  xterm isnt exhibiting this behaviour.

I dont use KDE much anymore, just when i need a DE file manager for certain web server operations, so i cant tell you exactly when this began. its a fresh installation, and is dual with gnome.

i looked at some bug reports, but its hard to find any clear answers on those this time around.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-12-13 01:52:14)


Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

Offline

#2 2011-12-13 06:32:39

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

For clarity, we are talking konsole here, right?


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#3 2011-12-13 09:02:13

wolfdogg
Member
From: Portland, OR, USA
Registered: 2011-05-21
Posts: 545

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

no, its a program called "terminal" in the start menu of KDE under application -> utilities.

thanks, you just reminded me what i was looking for was called konsole, i couldnt remember what it was called, and its not in the start menu, when i search for it, it showed up with the shell app icon (as opposed to a custom image icon).  thats what im used to when in KDE. i was geting the name mixed up with konqueror (the browser) thats why i couldnt remember the name.  konsole looks fine, like i remember. what the heck is terminal then?  i thought terminal was what i have been using in gnome, with no problems.  now im wondering, did terminal come with gnome, and is just showing up in the KDE menu?  i havent adjusted my menus yet (.desktop files).

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-12-13 09:05:33)


Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

Offline

#4 2011-12-13 15:41:04

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

ewaller@odin:~ 1004 %pacman -Qi terminal
Name           : terminal
Version        : 0.4.8-1
URL            : http://www.xfce.org/projects/terminal/
Licenses       : GPL2
Groups         : xfce4
Provides       : None
Depends On     : exo>=0.5.4  vte  dbus-glib  startup-notification  hicolor-icon-theme
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces       : None
Installed Size : 3798.00 K
Packager       : Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>
Architecture   : x86_64
Build Date     : Wed 22 Jun 2011 08:38:33 AM PDT
Install Date   : Thu 01 Sep 2011 07:02:41 PM PDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Description    : A modern terminal emulator primarly for the Xfce desktop environment

ewaller@odin:~ 1005 %

In KDE, Konsole shows up under the System menu on my system, whereas terminal shows up under utilities.  On my systems (home laptop running Arch on bare metal, and at work inside of Virtualbox on a Win 7 host), Terminal does not behave as you have described.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#5 2011-12-31 16:45:45

rhyvun
Member
Registered: 2011-12-31
Posts: 13

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

Hello all, I just wanted to say that I experience the exact same issue.
When opening "konsole", or really any terminal window, it automatically resizes.

It opens to the proper size to begin with but then slowly just decides to shrink itself - going in and specifying the default height/width doesn't help either. (Note: It was doing this BEFORE I messed with any settings in the konsole config menu).

I have done some research and this does not appear to be specific to Arch, people are reporting it in Ubuntu and Fedora alike.
Furthermore, some people report that it is happening ONLY in the "gnome-terminal" when being ran under KDE and that the workaround for it is to simply use "konsole".

I am using "konsole" though and haven't installed anything gnome on my system.

I would be happy to submit a bug report, but I am not that technically savvy when it comes to any distribution of Linux just yet.
Please see the following bug report that may gleen some info on it as it does not seem to be an Arch thing like I said:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=707664

I know this is a link to a redhat page but after trolling these forums for a bit now I am reaching out to the Arch guru's because you guys know your stuff.

Any help on this is much appreciated. If additional information is needed let me know, I tried to find a thread on info that you guys like to see but was unsuccessful.
And ewaller, I see your link to "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way"... but alas do not have time to read a book. I will read that later though looks interesting.

Sorry folks, I am an idiot. I actually was using "gnome-terminal" unwittingly. Don't ask how, running konsole fixed it though.

So it seems to be a bug with gnome-terminal under KDE. Kind of makes sense.

Last edited by rhyvun (2011-12-31 17:03:37)

Offline

#6 2012-01-02 04:21:14

cfr
Member
From: Cymru
Registered: 2011-11-27
Posts: 7,182

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

I think it is a bug with gnome-terminal under anything but gnome. It happens in xfce, too.


CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Offline

#7 2017-10-10 21:54:17

shawnfinder
Member
Registered: 2017-10-10
Posts: 1

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

cfr wrote:

I think it is a bug with gnome-terminal under anything but gnome. It happens in xfce, too.

Would you happen to have a link to a ticket or issue concerning this bug?

Offline

#8 2017-10-11 00:24:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: terminal resizes automatically - shrinks to 2 lines

shawnfinder wrote:
cfr wrote:

I think it is a bug with gnome-terminal under anything but gnome. It happens in xfce, too.

Would you happen to have a link to a ticket or issue concerning this bug?

It's a five year old thread; so no, no bug ticket: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22



Closing


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB