You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-05 08:05:39

xiliyi

[solved] pacman broken after "pacman -Syyu" excluding pacman

Hi forums,

I use arch x86_64, yaourt and the testing and multilib repositories.
A full system upgrade doing "yaourt -Syyu" didn't work, because pacman had an unfulfilled dependancy which I don't recall, but it was about a normal and a multilib version: I probably have the multilib version of a library installed, which has not been updated to the version required by pacman yet.
So I thought it would be perfectly fine to exclude pacman from this system upgrade by choosing "manually" from the options given by "yaourt -Syyu" and commented pacman.
The upgrade then went fine except for the two final lines:

package-query: error while loading shared libraries: libarchive.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
testdb: error while loading shared libraries: libarchive.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Now everytime I try to use pacman, I get this error:

pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libarchive.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you know how to solve this?
Thanks in advance

xiliyi

Last edited by xiliyi (2012-01-05 09:49:23)

#2 2012-01-05 08:27:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [solved] pacman broken after "pacman -Syyu" excluding pacman

Lesson - yaourt is arse...   Install pacman from [testing] by manually extracting the tarball.  Then uninstall yaourt and "pacman -Sf pacman"

#3 2012-01-05 08:34:50

headkase

Interjection, what would your recommendation be for a package manager that will also track and update AUR packages?  I've been using yaourt just because I can append an "a" after "Syu".  Is there something better than yaourt or would I just be better off manually tracking AUR packages and makepkg the downloads myself?

#4 2012-01-05 08:54:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

headkase wrote:

Interjection, what would your recommendation be for a package manager that will also track and update AUR packages?  I've been using yaourt just because I can append an "a" after "Syu".  Is there something better than yaourt or would I just be better off manually tracking AUR packages and makepkg the downloads myself?

Something like cower is better because it doesn't try to pretend that the AUR is just another repo (it isn't), but it does help you check whether there are updates.

Seriously, for the AUR, just use makepkg, less breakage all round.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-01-05 08:56:02

ZekeSulastin

There's quite a few.  Your best bet would probably be to use something like cower if you want to have automatic downloading/untarring (cower -d target)/updatechecking (cower -u) followed by manual makepkg invocation, or something like pacaur (which uses cower as it's backend) for pacman wrapping like yaourt (or just more automation - if wrapping pacman commands like -Syu, -a restricts it to aur only).

Obviously, I personally recommend cower and pacaur, but there are others - check the AUR Helpers page on the wiki for more choices smile

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2012-01-05 09:01:41)

#6 2012-01-05 09:04:20

headkase

Thank you both.  I saw the wiki page previously but without a pointer it's hard to know which one is best - based on experience wink  I went and nuked yaourt, I actually don't have that many AUR packages so I just bookmarked the ones I do have (all three of them) and will manually track them for a bit and see how that goes.  Now, if it get's to be too big a burden then I'll definitely check out cower first!  Thanks again, and off to bookmark cower.. smile

#7 2012-01-05 09:49:04

xiliyi

Allan wrote:

Lesson - yaourt is arse...   Install pacman from [testing] by manually extracting the tarball.  Then uninstall yaourt and "pacman -Sf pacman"

Thanks, I did as suggested, and it worked!

ngoonee wrote:

Something like cower is better because it doesn't try to pretend that the AUR is just another repo (it isn't), but it does help you check whether there are updates.

I use a lot of software from AUR, and therefore depended on yaourt to help me avoid dependancy breakage. Now that I uninstalled yaourt, I will now look into cower, thank you for your hint.

#8 2012-01-05 10:31:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

xiliyi wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

I use a lot of software from AUR, and therefore depended on yaourt to help me avoid dependancy breakage. Now that I uninstalled yaourt, I will now look into cower, thank you for your hint.

Actually (even without cower), makepkg will tell you what dependencies are missing when you try and compile an AUR package. In fact, -s will install them for you (unless they're from the AUR, in which case you have to download/makepkg that package first).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2012-01-05 13:55:52

xiliyi

ngoonee wrote:

Actually (even without cower), makepkg will tell you what dependencies are missing when you try and compile an AUR package. In fact, -s will install them for you (unless they're from the AUR, in which case you have to download/makepkg that package first).

Actually, I was more concerned about updates for packages from AUR. yaourt would handle AUR packages as if they were in a repository, and update them, solving dependency problems.
Now what I fear is, that if some regular library gets an update, it may not updated on my system in the first place, because pacman only sees that the older version is needed for the AUR software, but is not capable of updating the AUR package (which works with the new library version) automatically. So updates will break some software unless I remove it first and install the latest version manually.

#10 2012-01-19 20:35:51

ewaller
Administrator

At 19:21 UTC, trazalca reported:

Hi all, i did all but when recover pacman the terminal gave me this error:
var/lib/pacman/
pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libgpgme.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
what i can do for this?? Thanks a lot

Welcome to Arch Linux.  If you are wondering what happened to your post, I think you hit the "Report" link rather than the "Reply" link.  Your message went to the moderator team.
It happens a lot. smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2012-01-19 20:44:43

karol
Archivist

#12 2012-01-20 17:55:55

rocknrolf77

Messed up pacman too. Sorry for stupid question. Where do I untar pacman? (The second post)

#13 2012-01-20 18:01:27

karol
Archivist

You have to run

sudo tar -xvpf pacman -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL

but you may need to untar its dependencies first (the same way).

Board footer