You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-09 06:45:10

lolhue

xfce4-power-manager and laptop-mode-tools

Out of curiosity, do these two tools conflict with each other? There seems to be some features that do the same thing, ie harddrive spin down time, but I'm not sure if these two will try to kill each other trying to configure the same power settings. If they do conflict, how could I go about disabling the conflicting parts (on either)?

Edit: Also, even if I tell xfce-power-manager to do nothing when I push my standby button, it still goes into standby. Is it because acpid is grabbing the event and throwing the laptop into standby?

Last edited by lolhue (2011-10-09 07:29:16)

#2 2011-10-10 16:36:42

nixpunk

Re: xfce4-power-manager and laptop-mode-tools

As far as your first question is concerned, you can just enable the features you want using Laptop Mode Tools.  That is a way to avoid both daemons doing (or attempting to do) the same things.  As far as the second question is concerned, you could always stop the acpid daemon and see if that's the culprit.  In my experience, the Xfce Power Manager button settings work as advertised, barring nothing else is detecting and acting on keystrokes.

#3 2011-10-11 08:13:59

lolhue

One of the problems I forgot to note is that laptop-mode-tools claims it needs acpid "for ACPI support". Does that mean laptop-mode will no longer detect acpi events such as connecting/disconnecting AC power and thus not change modes when i plug it in?

#4 2011-10-11 12:28:54

josephk
Website

yes, I also find  that the guides about power management for laptops aren't clear enough..

acpi modules/acpid/pm-utils/laptop-mode-tools/cpufreq/DE power managers... quite a mess

#5 2011-10-11 19:54:32

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Moving to Laptop Issues.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#6 2011-12-15 11:35:22

lolhue

After some lengthy research, it doesn't seem that the two try to kill each other.  However, xfce4-power-manager's xrandr based backlight/brightness control seems to be broken. In fact, when the power manager is loaded, trying to use xrandr's backlight settings via command line causes it to function incorrectly. Any way to fix that?

#7 2012-01-05 22:02:48

HuckleSmothered

I'm gonna say "Yes." I recently reinstalled my laptop a few days ago. Started with xfce4-power-manager and laptop-mode-tools on it. Not /every/ time, but most times, when I would unplug or plug in the AC adapter it would make the screen all Pablo Picasso-like and freeze up the machine hardcore.

As you can imagine, I was not favorable to this scenario. I saw this post during some other research and decided to look into it. I removed laptop-mode-tools. No more problems.

But ... I thought I was crazy. I read a bit into what laptop-mode-tools was and decided it couldn't conflict and I should have it. So I reinstalled it. Guess what happened the very next time I unplugged my laptop from the AC adapter to visit the throne for my daily news bytes? Frozen! Needless to say, I dePacman'd it and have since unplugged and plugged it in a few times without a single incident since.

Board footer