You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-30 11:22:15

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

firebird keyboard focus

does anyone else have this problem?  Mozilla Firebird seems to lose keyboard focus if switching between a bunch of apps (the blinking cursor stays but you cannot type).  I have been unable to track the exacts down.  I am unsure if this is a build problem or something inheirantly wrong with firebird itself... comments/suggestiosn anyone?

#2 2003-11-30 11:58:51

hApy
Website

Re: firebird keyboard focus

yes I've had that happen before... usually I mess around with selecting text, checkboxes, etc., switching to other windows and it seems to fix itself eventually... I haven't really figured out when or why it happens.

Hapy.

#3 2003-11-30 16:00:28

red_over_blue

I'll just throw my name into this hat too.  I posted in a thread started by contrastra about problems with firebird.  Since he and I both use a 2.6 kernel, we thought it might be related to that, but I guess not.  At least I know for sure that it wasn't something specific to my system..... misery loves company I guess wink

Don't forget to post your PKGBUILD in your thread when you announce a new package in incoming.
see HERE for details

#4 2003-12-01 06:01:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

nice it isn't a problem on my system... now to diagnose it.  Just spoke to my brother running gentoo, and he's run into the same problem there - so it's not nessicarily arch specific... perhaps a post to bugzilla?

#5 2003-12-01 07:02:32

RdsArts

What WMs are you using? I've always had this problem with the *box-based WMs. It seems to go away with XFWM, IceWM, Metacity, ect.. At least in my experience.

#6 2003-12-01 08:36:45

Bobonov

This appen to me also. Both Mozilla and firebird seem to be affected by this problem.
I did not have time to check in mozilla website for the bug.
Usually I solve it by opening any text editor, like kwrite, write few chars and switch back to Mozilla and everithing works fine.
Post a message if this works for you too.

#7 2003-12-02 02:06:26

hApy
Website

yeah that sounds about like what I do to solve the problem. sometimes it doesn't seem to work or I give up or something.. depends on how big of a message I've typed already...

actually come to think of it, it usually happens on here..

I use XFCE4

Hapy.

#8 2003-12-02 20:46:39

undeadpenguin
Website

Same thing happens to me, except that once it gets progressively worse once that starts until my system crashes. I can leave the computer on for days running XScreenSaver, the GIMP, NEdit, XMMS... all work fine. Then I open Firebird and it crashes (sometimes, not always).

#9 2003-12-03 01:52:26

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah I am running fluxbox... however if it was a problem with the WM I would assume it would show up in other places... yet it has not.  firebird is the only program I've seen do this...

#10 2003-12-03 11:24:32

Bobonov

I took a look to the bugs on mozilla website and I did not found any that apply to our bug.
There are few bug related to keyboard typing problem but not in the same way it happen to us.
I think we should submit a bug to bugzilla. To have it as more clear as possible I propose to write it together. Here follow a first draft proposal. It is based mainly on my experience and on post in this tread. Please post corrections.

System:
Mozilla 1.5, Firebird 0.7
Linux, Kernel 2.4.22, Xfree 4.3,
Tested desktop/windows system: KDE3, Gnome2, Fluxbox 0.1.14, XFCE4
Description:
Sometime Mozilla (both Mozilla and firebird) seem to not consider any keyboard event.
Both control key combination and writing text in web form or address bar does not give result. In the case of web form and address bar even if with focus and the cursor blinking nothing happen.
Condition:
There are no particular condition for this bug. It seem a bit random.
In general it seems it happen by switching to other applications and back to mozilla but not 100% sure.
Temporary solution:
Open any text editor, like kwrite, type one or more char, switch back to mozilla and then it works again.

#11 2003-12-08 19:22:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

looks good to me - I would also not that I regularly use fluxbox 0.9.6 - happens there as well.  don't have mozilla installed ATM, only firebird - however I did in the past.  Also note that if you upgraded, arch is on kernel 2.4.23.

As a side note my bug seems to have something to do with aterm - usually I have quite a few aterms up and if I kill a certain one it usually restores focus - though most times I simply copy the address link and kill firebird 8)

Board footer