You are not logged in.

#101 2012-01-05 11:13:42

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

Army wrote:

It's a bit different with [...]  With this you get a new window [...]
To make this easier, is it possible to toggle fullscreen with a key combination?

yep, that's true, some apps don't get fullscreen themselves but create a new fullscreen window.
I'll fix it, so it works properly, no need for a new key-combo

kuraku wrote:

you already created 2 branches (besides master). Maybe there is a way to include all that in master and leave just a few config lines in config.h?

that is possible, and it won't really cost much, but if done, will be done later.

kuraku wrote:

maybe you found a way to make it easier for you to maintain several branches?

keeping different branches is really easy, if those are just patches (like monocleborders and uselessgaps)

mhertz wrote:

I actually never use floating mode, so I wouldn't care if that never get's implemented. *Also, if floating and tagging is going to make this comparabel in sloc/mem to dwm, then why bother reinventing the wheel, i'm thinking?

It's a learning project for me and to learn sometimes you reinvent the wheel. I don't know if it's going to be comparable to dwm, we'll see this when it's ready. Also, it will be done in a separate branch, so it won't affect the current state, until it's ready and worth it.

mhertz wrote:

Edit2: Hmm, I was considering monsterwm for getting a lighter dwm alternative, but now I see that dzen2 alone uses just as "much" memory as dwm(twice as much as monsterwm)... Of course that extremelly little extra memory dosen't matter at all, and one should choose what he/she themselves likes the best, but my point was just that for me, then i'm always trying to find the lightest solution available that of course, most importantly, also does what I want at the same time...

dzen2 is not part of monsterwm, it's just easy to use. monsterwm lets you chose what you want to use. I myself was thinking to switch from dzen2, but haven't found the time to look around.

Army wrote:

but those floating windows can't be moved, so what if it covers an important button? In that case it's unusable.

yep, that's why I was thinking partial floating mode support. it's on the todo wink

bloom wrote:

Have you considered lolilolicon's general approach to master / slave layout?

I haven't but I will take a look

bloom wrote:

One of the things I indirectly use all the time is xdotool windowactivate <id>, does monsterwm react to that?

xdotool should work I guess, I don't use it myself, but you can test it. It acts upon the window, not the wm, so there shouldn't be a problem.

.:[ git me! ] :.

#102 2012-01-05 13:01:43

c00kiemon5ter
Website

c00kiemon5ter wrote:
Army wrote:

It's a bit different with [...]  With this you get a new window [...]
To make this easier, is it possible to toggle fullscreen with a key combination?

yep, that's true, some apps don't get fullscreen themselves but create a new fullscreen window.
I'll fix it, so it works properly, no need for a new key-combo

done wink

#103 2012-01-05 13:11:40

kuraku

@c00kiemon5ter
This will be my last bug report here since i think that maybe github would be a better place to report bugs (right? hmm)

Anyway, check this shot: http://i.imgur.com/dLMRy.png
It is grid mode (ctrl+Alt (Left)+g) but i got unused pixels at the end of the screen (look at bottom and right side on sshot).

I'm using monsterwm from "monocleborders" branch. My config is very basic and i changed only a couple of things so that should not be an issue.

[Edit]
I must say that this bug is visible only when you are using grid mode and when you have more than 1 client on workspace.

Last edited by kuraku (2012-01-05 13:23:29)

#104 2012-01-05 13:29:14

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Tile and bstack do "pixel-perfect" windows, by calculating the remaining pixels and adding those to the top/first stack window (as if this difference was growth), but on those layouts, I already know how many windows on the stack will be.
On grid layout, rows and columns are created dynamically, and it's too confusing to try to guess how many window there'll be on a row or a column, and even if I calculate it for one row/column, on the next there may be a different number of window. It's too hard to do pixel-perfect grid layout.
I don't think I'll fix this, at least not now, maybe in the future, if I'm in such mood.

#105 2012-01-05 13:36:14

mhertz

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

dzen2 is not part of monsterwm, it's just easy to use. [...]

Of course i'm fully aware about that, and I was just reffering to the external statusbar approach. I chossed dzen for it's touted smallness, fastness and minimum deps, but yeah, maybe there are some lighter ones, I dunno?

Anyway, I _do_ see that this(external statusbar overhead) is irrelevant to your project, so sorry for off-topic...

bloom wrote:

– One of the things I indirectly use all the time is xdotool windowactivate <id>, does monsterwm react to that?

.. Just wanted to add that if monsterwm has the same kind of issues with xdotool's windowactivate command like dwm does, then me and lolilolicon found out some xdotool commands that worked around that issue...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1016984

Edit: Doh! Sorry, I just remembered that i'm pretty sure that bloom is/was a dwm user himself! Sorry smile

Mod note: I deleted the accidental double post. --bernarcher

Last edited by mhertz (2012-01-05 13:55:50)

#106 2012-01-05 15:49:34

c00kiemon5ter
Website

mhertz wrote:
bloom wrote:

– One of the things I indirectly use all the time is xdotool windowactivate <id>, does monsterwm react to that?

.. Just wanted to add that if monsterwm has the same kind of issues with xdotool's windowactivate command like dwm does, then me and lolilolicon found out some xdotool commands that worked around that issue

ah, windowactivate only works if _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is supported, and currently it's not. I may add support for this today.

#107 2012-01-05 16:20:33

Army

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

ah, windowactivate only works if _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is supported, and currently it's not. I may add support for this today.

Damn, the next argument for sticking with dwm will be gone soon. This is really totally great!

Oh, just yesterday I ran monsterwm and watched some videos with mplayer. I don't know why, but Xorg crashed very often, which usually doesn't happen and it didn't continue to happen with dwm. This might have something to do with your newly implemented fullscreen ability, but I'm not sure. I will take a look at this and test it again this evening. I just wanted to post it now already, who knows, maybe you already have an idea what caused this.

And I have a question:
I like to see in the status bar, on which tag I'm on and the window title. Since monsterwm doesn't provide a bar, is there a way to still get those informations into conky?

edit (addition):

What I don't like right now in monsterwm is the following: For example, I run a terminal with ranger (cli file manager) in it and open a video. After closing the video, I expect the focus to go back to ranger, but it doesn't, except of course if it's positioned on the bottom right.
I hope you get what I mean. This is just for discussion, I don't know if you share my opinion.

By the way, the fullscreen fix works great with libreoffice smile

Last edited by Army (2012-01-05 17:00:50)

#108 2012-01-05 16:20:33

Army

why on earth was this posted twice?!?!

=> ignore me, if you are a mod, delete me

Last edited by Army (2012-01-05 16:21:25)

#109 2012-01-05 17:22:32

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Army wrote:

Oh, just yesterday I ran monsterwm and watched some videos with mplayer. I don't know why, but Xorg crashed very often, which usually doesn't happen and it didn't continue to happen with dwm.

I have no idea, I just tried a couples of movies and seeked through them with mplayer and all was good. Did you update your video card drivers and that caused some issue ? I dont know, if it happens again report and I'll look deeper

Army wrote:

I like to see in the status bar, on which tag I'm on and the window title. Since monsterwm doesn't provide a bar, is there a way to still get those informations into conky?

I use dzen2 but I might be switching. If you want to use conky, you'd have to parse monsterwm's output (see page2 for an example) and update conky's output accordingly. afaik conky doesn't read input, so you'd have to call some parsing script from within conky configuration.

Army wrote:

What I don't like right now in monsterwm is the following: For example, I run a terminal with ranger (cli file manager) in it and open a video. After closing the video, I expect the focus to go back to ranger, but it doesn't, except of course if it's positioned on the bottom right.

that's because the new window gets the last place on the stack area, after it closes the previous window gets focus. I don't think I can guess what window was the one that cause the new window to appear, so that I can focus it once it's closed.
It's like having three terminals and running a command that brings up a UI, from one of them, and disowning it. Which terminal got the window up ? I can't know that. Otherwise, I too don't like this, but that's how tiling works.
On a stacking wm you just focus the window that has the highest level on the stack(that is the one that is above others), so it's "easy" to "know" which one was focused before.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-05 18:01:50)

#110 2012-01-05 19:31:10

moetunes

I haven't tried this but you could try at the top of the add window function a line like
some_variable = current->win
and at the bottom of the remove window function a line like
if head != null current = some_variable
or something similar.
Maybe

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#111 2012-01-05 19:33:27

c00kiemon5ter
Website

moetunes wrote:

I haven't tried this but you could try at the top of the add window function a line like
some_variable = current->win
and at the bottom of the remove window function a line like
if head != null current = some_variable
or something similar.
Maybe

I'm trying something along those lines, but I'm not sure it's going to work

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-05 19:58:00)

#112 2012-01-05 19:56:35

Army

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

that's because the new window gets the last place on the stack area, after it closes the previous window gets focus. I don't think I can guess what window was the one that cause the new window to appear, so that I can focus it once it's closed.
It's like having three terminals and running a command that brings up a UI, from one of them, and disowning it. Which terminal got the window up ? I can't know that. Otherwise, I too don't like this, but that's how tiling works.
On a stacking wm you just focus the window that has the highest level on the stack(that is the one that is above others), so it's "easy" to "know" which one was focused before.

It's just, I always compare monsterwm with dwm. Maybe that's a mistake, I don't know wink But dwm "knows" which window was used last.

#113 2012-01-05 22:35:48

kuraku

kuraku wrote:

@c00kiemon5ter
This will be my last bug report here since i think that maybe github would be a better place to report bugs (right? hmm)

Anyway, check this shot: http://i.imgur.com/dLMRy.png
It is grid mode (ctrl+Alt (Left)+g) but i got unused pixels at the end of the screen (look at bottom and right side on sshot).

I'm using monsterwm from "monocleborders" branch. My config is very basic and i changed only a couple of things so that should not be an issue.

[Edit]
I must say that this bug is visible only when you are using grid mode and when you have more than 1 client on workspace.

Regarding this:
i noticed that this gap is bigger when you create new column of windows. Simplified:
- 2x2 = 2 rows & 2 columns = less gap on the right side of screen;
- 3x5 = 3 rows & 5 columns = more gap on the right side of screen.

It seems that more rows/columns create more space. Just wanted to share this for future records smile

#114 2012-01-05 22:43:54

c00kiemon5ter
Website

@Army check current HEAD smile monsterwm now remembers the previous window that had focus. If you close the current window the previous gets focus. if you close again the current window (which is the same what the previous was) the next gets focused.

@kuraku it doesn't work that way actually. If you open more windows you'll see that the gap goes away and then appears again. What happens is that your screen has so many pixels, say 100 for height. If you have 2 windows open, then each one gets 100/2=50 pixels. If you have 3 windows, each one gets 100/3=33 pixels each. 33*3=99, so 100-99=1 pixel on the bottom is unused. If you have 6 windows, each one gets 100/6=16pixels. 6*16=96, so 100-96=4 pixels are unused. If you have 9 windows, then each one gets 11 pixels, and so again only 1 pixel is unused.
On tile and bstack, I get the unsued pixels and give them to the top/first window of the stack, but for grid it's too hard and confusing to sit and work this out. It's definetaly possible, but not a priority right now.
If anyone is interested, give it a shot

#115 2012-01-06 00:44:31

rich_o

Hello,

(luakit just crashed and i lost my previous post. i keep it short this time)

just wanted to point you to Extended Window Manager Hints. Partial support should make most of xdotool and wmctrl work (no more need for desktopinfo()) as well as external programs as pagers or mouse-driven panels like tint2. ewmh is kind of an api for wm, i really like the idea.

another thing: in my fork of dminiwm, i can show/hide all windows with a shortcut (don't copy my code, it's buggy). that makes it possible to use conky on the whole root window.

rich_o

#116 2012-01-06 01:16:00

c00kiemon5ter
Website

hey rich_o  o/

rich_o wrote:

just wanted to point you to Extended Window Manager Hints. Partial support should make most of xdotool and wmctrl work (no more need for desktopinfo()) as well as external programs as pagers or mouse-driven panels like tint2. ewmh is kind of an api for wm, i really like the idea.

yep, I'm reading ewmh along the way, I've already gotten xdotool up and working here, but I have some strange behavior with some apps (ie Chromium) that show like they're not focused (or not sure what that is).
Once I fix that, I'll push.

rich_o wrote:

another thing: in my fork of dminiwm, i can show/hide all windows with a shortcut (don't copy my code, it's buggy). that makes it possible to use conky on the whole root window.

check the showhide branch wink
showhide hides/shows all windows across all desktops (check the diff)

On other news, I think I'm going to disappoint metre, and drop fetch for now. As it is on the fetch branch, it works for some apps, but others report crashes. If I come up with something in the future I'll post here. Workaround should be doable with xdotool and wmctrl, and those should work with almost any wm.

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-06 01:17:53)

#117 2012-01-06 16:04:00

metre

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

On other news, I think I'm going to disappoint metre, and drop fetch for now. As it is on the fetch branch, it works for some apps, but others report crashes. If I come up with something in the future I'll post here. Workaround should be doable with xdotool and wmctrl, and those should work with almost any wm.

No problem for me, I think that xdotool (http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/) and wmctrl (http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/) could do the job

Last edited by metre (2012-01-06 16:18:37)

#118 2012-01-07 20:12:45

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Army wrote:
c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Damn, the next argument for sticking with dwm will be gone soon. This is really totally great!

done, I've set this up correctly, but it seems some windows (like chromium) don't get the focus right. I actually had this implemented about two hours after I posted the above, but couldn't fix that "focus" problem.
I double checked, and dwm has that too (among some other things, I'll be posting on their ml). I searched and tried many different things but couldn't make it work.
If anyone reading this has some idea about what's wrong, please come forward.

Apart from this, xdotool and wmctrl should work correctly, and report the correct active window.
Some things to try (also posting to remember those "tests")

$ xprop -root _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW
$ xdotool getactivewindow
$ xwininfo -id <id-returned-from-above>
$ xdotool search --classname "someclass" windowactivate %@ 
$ # % 1,2,..@ goes through the stack list returned

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2012-01-07 21:11:51)

#119 2012-01-07 21:08:46

Army

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

done, I've set this up correctly, but it seems some windows (like chromium) don't get the focus right. I actually had this implemented about two hours later I posted the above, but couldn't fix that "focus" problem.
I double checked, and dwm has that too (among some other things, I'll be posting on their ml). I searched and tried many different things but couldn't make it work.
If anyone reading this has some idea about what's wrong, please come forward.

This might be what's discussed here (although I wrote about something else at the beginning).
In short: Try the following to get the focus of a program. I give an example for Luakit, my browser of choice. Here are two outputs:

% xdotool search --class luakit

Here xdotool doesn't know which one is the right one, so it won't work. What you need is the additional option --onlyvisible

% xdotool search --onlyvisible --class luakit

Works!
So the whole command to get luakit's focus will be

xdotool search --onlyvisible --classname luakit windowactivate

I'll give it a try. If I see problems, I'll report them.

Last edited by Army (2012-01-07 21:11:02)

#120 2012-01-07 21:22:23

c00kiemon5ter
Website

yep, those all work nicely, the problem is about the focus some apps get (currently only chromium does that) and how they repaint themselves.

#121 2012-01-07 21:55:04

Army

Oh, okay. Still, this hint from my post is very helpful!

#122 2012-01-08 15:28:37

kuraku

Hm i'm having strange issue: when i use geany, i press ctrl+h to start "Search/Replace dialog". It is floating window but it is displayed correctly in monsterwm (monocleborders branch). WHen i use "Esc" to close that floating window, it all looks okay but i must do shift+alt+c to actually close it. I tried to change mode (tiling, bstack or monocle) to see if it will show any hidden windows but there was only main geany window.

Is this geany or monsterwm related issue?

#123 2012-01-08 17:00:13

c00kiemon5ter
Website

This should be fixed now. Please try it and if you find something wrong please report. I'm not quite sure that's the correct fix, but seems to work, at least untill I understand this better.

#124 2012-01-08 17:39:56

kuraku

c00kiemon5ter wrote:

This should be fixed now. Please try it and if you find something wrong please report. I'm not quite sure that's the correct fix, but seems to work, at least untill I understand this better.

Nope. WIth latest git code (updated 5mins ago) i cant open that dialog twice anymore. I can use it once and after that, it is not showing at all again (whatever i do).

#125 2012-01-08 17:44:03

c00kiemon5ter
Website

try once more now smile

Board footer