You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-08 05:39:48

imagoose

LAPTOP Dual Graphics Card CPU scailing (with bash script)

Hey all, basically, getting Arch working with my laptop was a pain due to the lack of power options and graphics control, especially using the open source drivers. My laptop would overheat due to both the dedicated and integrated graphs cards would be running at the same time and my CPUs were running at 100%. After a long while of looking around, I finally found a solution, and being the nice guy I am, I decided to make a script to streamline the process for most people. It mounts the debugging filesystem, adds it to fstab, installs the necessary tools, loads the correct module, and also lets you change power plans, as well as check on battery, graphics card status, and cpu status. this is basically version one so i guess ill add a bit to it over time.

*** MAKE SURE KMS IS ENABLED ON YOUR KERNEL GRUB/SYSLINUX LINE EG:  "radeon.modset=1"

******ERROR CHECKING:
if you have the debug fs mounted already, unmount it with umount /sys/kernel/debug
if you get an error modprobing, check what modules are supported from your cpu with  ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/
with the debugging fs mounted, running cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch to find out what your graphic adapters are named and if needed replace the IGD and DIS with yours

you may have to modify some parts of the program, but i tried my best to make it as easy as I can
Installation:
copy it and save it as foo.sh
chmod 777 it for good measures
RUN AS ROOT

chmod 777 foo.sh
./foo.sh

#! /bin/bash
#By: Dominic dos Santos
#dom.doss@gmail.com
#mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug --mount debugging fs
#echo"IGD"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch && echo"OFF"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch --onboard graphics
#echo"DIS"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch && echo"OFF"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch  --dedicated graphics
#cpufreq-set -c 3 -g powersave # --powersave cpu freq set
#cpufreq-set -c 3 -g performance # --performance
#cpufreq-set -c 3 -g ondemand  #--...
#!!!PLEASE NOTE!!! I am using a quad core laptop, therefore I have the '-c 3' argument. Cores are as such: 0 1 2 3
#Dual core would be '-c 1', 6 core would be 5
#
#
echo "RUNNING THIS WIH X RUNNING WILL NOT MODIFY THE GRAPHICS CARD SETINGS"
#
#
#checking if debugging fs is mounted, if not, mounting. 
if [ -f /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch ]; then
	echo "DEBUGFS is mounted, continuing wih program"
	else
		read -p "Press ENTER to mount the debugging directory (REQUIRED)"
		mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug #the mount fs command
		echo "Add to fstab?"
		read fs
		if [ "$fs" == "y" ]; then
			echo "debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs 0 0" >> /etc/fstab #add the required line to the fstab		
		fi
		read -p "We are now going to install the cpu drivers and load the required modules."
		pacman -S cpufrequtils
		echo "Do you have an [a]MD or [i]ntel cpu?" #load the [correct] module now
			read input
			if [ "$input" == "a" ]; then #AMD
			modprobe powernow-k8 
			elif [ "$input" == "i" ]; then #INTEL
			modprobe acpi-cpufreq	
			fi
echo "REMEMBER TO ADD acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_performance to your rc.conf beside MODULES=(  ****** FOR INTEL CARDS ONLY!"
echo "OR powernow-k8 cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_performance ****** FOR AMD CPU's ONLY!"
fi

#menu
echo -e "Welcome to my CPU and Videocard Power and Performance Switcherooer"
	echo "	1: Powersave"
	echo "	2: On Demand"
	echo "	3: Performance"
	echo "	4: Check Status"
	echo "Please select an option"
read input
if [ "$input" = 1 ]; then

#Powersave
#Set CPU to "Powersave", set VGA to onboard and disables one not being used, ie. the dedicated 
	cpufreq-set -c 3 -g powersave
	echo "IGD" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
	echo "OFF" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch #the "OFF" infers to cutting the power to the one that isn't selected

elif [ "$input" = 2 ]; then
#On Demand
#Set CPU to "On Demand", set VGA to onboard and disables one not being used, ie. the dedicated
	cpufreq-set -c 3 -g ondemand
	echo "IGD"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
	echo "OFF"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
elif [ "$input" = 3 ]; then
#Performance
#Set CPU to "Performance", set VGA to the dedicated graphics card and disables the onboard
	cpufreq-set -c 3 -g performance
	echo "DIS"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
	echo "OFF"> /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch 
elif [ "$input" = 4 ]; then # status check
echo "	1: Battery"
echo "	2: Graphics Card"
echo "	3: CPU Info"
	read status
	if [ "$status" = 1 ]; then #battery
		acpi
			read -p "Press Enter"
	elif [ "$status" = 2 ]; then #battery
		cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
			read -p "Press Enter"
	elif [ "$status" = 3 ]; then #battery
		cpufreq-info
			read -p "Press Enter"
	fi
fi

Last edited by imagoose (2012-02-15 22:51:13)

#2 2012-01-08 20:31:45

laxsu19

Re: LAPTOP Dual Graphics Card CPU scailing (with bash script)

Thats great, thank you.  I have an older Dell Studio XPS 13 which has NVIDIA Hybrid SLI.  Its current power usage in Arch is killing me (about an hour and a half, where as i can get 3-4 hrs in win7).  Right now I am doing all the work through the integrated graphics card, per my xorg.conf, but i dont think i've managed to disable the discrete card yet. When I get on the laptop I'll let you know how it goes.

Board footer