You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-11 00:54:09

archadmirer

[SOLVED] problems manually installing GRUB

hi everybody, I'm in the midst of installing arch.  having windows 7 already, and the wiki is not that clear on how to install GRUB to the MBR without affecting windows, I chose the method here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … oot-Loader.  however, there is no option in the installer to install GRUB to a partition, the beginner's guide briefly mentions that you have to do that manually, here is where I'm stuck.

my drive is partitioned as follows:  sda1 windows boot, sda2 windows, sda3 /, sda4 extended, sda5 /home, sda6 /var, sda7 swap.

I've set root in /boot/grub/menu.lst to (hd0,2), executed "cp -a /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/* /boot/grub", but when I write (in the grub shell) "find /boot/grub/state1" I receive an error "file not found", and when trying "setup (hd0,2)" grub barks at me with "invalid device requested".   I'm really confused.

what to do now?  I'm just stuck.   any prompt help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by archadmirer (2012-01-11 09:51:07)

English isn't my native language. don't feel sorry to correct my spelling and / or grammar.

#2 2012-01-11 04:57:16

leocp1

Re: [SOLVED] problems manually installing GRUB

Is there any specific reason why you do not want to install GRUB to the MBR?
For me, this works fine with Windows 7.
Adding an entry for windows in GRUB would be as simple as adding

# Windows
title Windows 7
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

at the end of /boot/grub/menu.lst

But if you really want to use the Windows bootloader, I think that

grub-install /dev/sda3

should install grub to the bootsector of the third partion of that drive. You shouldn't need to manually copy files.

#3 2012-01-11 06:43:10

archadmirer

I have no specific reason not to install to the MBR, only that there are contradictions on the wiki if this can be done without destroying windows.
I can't go back now, because AIF won't let me install the boot-loader without first configuring the system etc, and this can't be done because it fails to format and mount the hard disk (which is formatted and mounted already).   
what to do now?  swipe everything and start anew?

I've tried 'grub-install /dev/sda3', or 'grub-install --recheck /dev/sda3', and even 'grub-install --recheck --no-floppy /dev/sda3'.   but I'm always getting yet another error, '/dev/mapper/../dm-0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.'   
any advice?

English isn't my native language. don't feel sorry to correct my spelling and / or grammar.

#4 2012-01-11 08:19:47

archadmirer

OK, I'm really tired, I think I'l swipe everything and install grub the way you suggested.

just to make sure I'm not doing something silly, let's review my plan:

boot into Gparted, delete sda{3,4,5,6,7}, recreate them as follows:
[sda1    windows boot]  won't touch...
[sda2    windows] won't touch...
sda3    root
sda4    (extended)
sda5    /home
sda6    /var
sda7    swap

boot into arch, install as usual, install GRUB bootloader to sda after adding what you posted to menu.lst

does that seem correct?

one more thing, don't I have to comment out makeactive in the windows 7 menu?    here again, there is conflicting advice.

any help greatly appreciated.

#5 2012-01-11 09:50:23

archadmirer

Hooray! hooray!
I have re-installed,  as described in my previous post, and everything works as it should (I have booted into Arch & into windows without any problems).  long live arch linux!  and thanks a trillion leocp1!

Just a note, the wiki is wonderful, documentation is extensive, but there is a bit to much contractions (or something has happened with my reading comprehension...).

all the best!

Board footer