You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-01 12:55:17

kirkl_uk

ALSA still will not work for me

I've been having trouble with ALSA for ages now, and am starting to get frustrated with it. I have a Hercules Muse XL card, and have found that I need the snd-cmipci module. Here's what I've done...

Full system upgrade, including the alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils packages. I've added the lines indicated by the alsa install docs into modules.conf. I've modprobed snd-cmipci, snd-seq-oss, snd-mixer-oss, snd-pcm-oss, and added all four of these modules to my MODULES=() in rc.conf. I've also added the two PERMISSIONS lines into devfsd.conf.

If I lsmod I get all the sound modules displayed. Whenever I reboot, I lose the settings I changed by alsamixer, and everything defaults again. I've unmuted all channels using alsamixer, but when I try and play a CD using cdcd, I get nothing. It's definitely playing, as my CD ROM starts to flash, and status shows the song is being played.

I've searched everywhere and followed so much advice, but I still have nothing. What else do I need to do? Any chance of step-by-step help for a newbie?

Please help,
Kirk

#2 2003-12-01 14:53:01

linfocito

Re: ALSA still will not work for me

is your kernel the stock one?

When I compiled the kernel, alsa stopped working, until I recompiled alsa-driver.

try

cd /var/abs/multimedia/alsa-driver
makepkg -c -i

as root.

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#3 2003-12-01 15:10:47

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Is your cdrom drive hooked up to your sound card with that little cable thingy?  Alsa (and your computer in general) has very little to do with playing a cd in your cdrom drive.  To test out alsa use a simple wave, mp3, or ogg file in something like xmms (or mpg123 or ogg123).  If you really want to play cds without having your cdrom hooked up to your sound card then use xmms' cd audio plugin.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-12-01 15:38:04

kirkl_uk

I used the kernel that was downloaded when I used pacman -Syu. I haven't got the confidence to start trying to recompile the kernel.

I don't think I have my sound cable connected to my sound card tho. Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can sort it with these ideas when I get home.

Board footer