You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-04 21:17:05

PhotonX

[XFCE]Keyboard layout config sometimes gets reset after suspend/resume

After I got suspend/resume working thanks to the help here, I have still another little problem with it: After suspend/resume the keyboard layout configuration in the corresponding xfce-panel plugin is sometimes reset to US. The keyboard layout should be Russian/German with switching the layouts with LCtrl+LShift. In the xorg.conf everything is fine, but it seems to be disregarded:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbRules"   "xorg"
	Option      "XkbModel"   "pc105"
	Option      "XkbLayout"  "de,ru"
	Option      "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
	Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
EndSection

The settings that I make in the panel-applet via its configuration dialogue work though, but they sometimes get reset after a suspend/resume.

The XFCE session is started via following command in ~/.xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

Thanks for any hint,
PhotonX

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#2 2012-01-04 21:57:28

Woofie

Re: [XFCE]Keyboard layout config sometimes gets reset after suspend/resume

I have same problem as you and didn't find any good solution someone advice me to reset configuretion in setting -> keyboard -> layout to system defaul setting, but it doesn't help me.
I read somewhere but I can not remember where about this bug. smile

Last edited by Woofie (2012-01-04 21:57:55)

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language..

#3 2012-01-05 09:34:53

PhotonX

Maybe https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16742 ? Seems to be not fully fixed in our case...

edit: I don't know if it's somehow related but sometimes after a resume the network connection is gone either.

Last edited by PhotonX (2012-01-05 09:52:35)

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#4 2012-01-08 09:02:42

Woofie

Oh I found it. I think it's related with xkb-plugin and this solution I wrote about found on wiki, but it doesn't help me.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf … ings_issue

#5 2012-01-08 09:50:24

PhotonX

Thanks for the hint but unfortunately in my case the flag "Use system defaults" was already set.

#6 2012-01-08 10:18:06

ViruSzZ
Website

Under xfce, I'm experiencing the same exact issue and none of the tips are working for me too.

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#7 2012-01-08 17:23:13

PhotonX

Are all of us using an nVidia video card?

#8 2012-01-09 15:08:05

ViruSzZ
Website

This worked for me: I checked use system defaults in the keyboard menu as suggested in the wiki, then rebooted my system and afterwards configured my layouts and it seems to work well now.

I've been using my integrated Intel GPU.

Their Momma Made Em, Their Momma Gave em & now she can`t even SAVE`em | My WebLog

#9 2012-01-09 15:13:56

Woofie

I have Intel GPU and test to set default and reboot and so on. It's work for a while but when resume from suspend it dissaper again and I discover when I upgrade kernel and reboot it dissaper too. hmm

#10 2012-01-09 17:39:50

PhotonX

That's strange... On my Thinkpad with an Intel GPU everything is working fine. Now I checked whether the Using Default flag is set in the keyboard preferences and it was _unset_ while on my desktop machine with an nvidia GPU where the problem appears the Default flag is _set_. So everything is the other way around... I'll try unsetting the flag on my desktop when I'm back home and report.

Last edited by PhotonX (2012-01-09 17:40:52)

#11 2012-01-09 19:56:27

PhotonX

Well, it seems that if the flag is set it sometimes fails to remember the keyboard settings, while if it is unset it always fails to remember them...

edit: ViruSzZ, could you please post your xorg.conf (since it seems to use it when the flag is activated)?

Last edited by PhotonX (2012-01-09 20:02:54)

#12 2012-01-09 20:07:35

ViruSzZ
Website

@PhotonX, I'm not at home right now but I think I'm not using a xorg.conf . Anyhow, I need to fully test this out (suspend, hibernate) and will post back the results.

#13 2012-01-09 21:45:55

PhotonX

Hmm, that's strange, at least the tooltip for the Default flag states that it will use the XServer configuration if activated. smile

#14 2012-01-10 02:39:37

ViruSzZ
Website

I just booted and the layout config was reset again with the 'use system defaults' being checked previously . Then, I unchecked it, selected Hewlett-Packard Pavilion dv5 as keyboard model (even though my lap is HP G62), added Macedonian layout, configured the panel applet and suspended. After the resume the settings were saved. Also tried to hibernate the system and resumed it with keyboard layout still working as it should.

Finally I rebooted my system and somehow it is still working while I'm typing here. I'm using intel gpu without xorg.conf.

#15 2012-01-13 15:27:00

Woofie

Test with unset "use system default" and configured it for my Dell laptop but it doesn't help me either. hmm After next suspend is gone again..

#16 2012-01-13 19:01:41

PhotonX

I strongly assume that this is a bug. But in which package to report it?

#17 2012-01-14 08:58:50

Woofie

I think that this is related with xfce4-xkb-plugin.

#18 2012-01-14 11:15:33

PhotonX

#19 2012-07-26 15:53:04

rubik

I'm experiencing the same issue under Openbox. When the layout is lost I have to restore it with setxkbmap.

#20 2012-07-26 16:40:29

PhotonX

Oh, that's interesting! Maybe it's a problem with the XServer? Unfortunately I don't have the machine where the problem occurred any more and with my current one suspend doesn't make sense since the machine boots in ~10secs thanks to an SSD. But I'll try to configure suspend&resume though and test whether the problem still appears.

#21 2012-07-27 17:08:17

rubik

I have this in my /etc/acpi/handlers.sh:

button/lid)
        case "$3" in
            close)
                logger 'LID closed'
                # Suspend and lock the screen
                /usr/sbin/pm-suspend &
                DISPLAY=:0.0 su -c - miki /usr/bin/slimlock
                ;;
            open)
                logger 'LID opened'
                # Set the keyboard layout again on IT
                setxkbmap it
                ;;
            *)
                logger "ACPI action undefined: $3"
                ;;
    esac

It's weird that on lid open layout remains unchanged...

#22 2012-07-28 07:08:21

PhotonX

rubik, just to clarify: What layouts do you use? If it's only Italian, then it's quite obvious that it remains unchanged after lid open, since you have an setxkbmap command in your handler.sh.

#23 2012-07-28 07:34:26

rubik

No, the problem is that I want Italian but after lid open I get us layout.

#24 2012-07-28 07:59:53

PhotonX

I see. Then you should maybe add debug output to check whether the script is run at all and if yes, where it fails. Like

button/lid)
        echo "lid action caught" >> /home/lid.log
        case "$3" in
            close)
                logger 'LID closed'
                # Suspend and lock the screen
                /usr/sbin/pm-suspend &
                DISPLAY=:0.0 su -c - miki /usr/bin/slimlock
                echo "lid closed" >> /home/lid.log
                ;;
            open)
                logger 'LID opened'
                # Set the keyboard layout again on IT
                setxkbmap it
                echo "lid opened" >> /home/lid.log
                ;;
            *)
                logger "ACPI action undefined: $3"
                echo "something wrong happened" >> /home/lid.log
                ;;
    esac

and then check /home/lid.log after lid close&open.

#25 2012-07-28 17:08:35

rubik

The action are correctly dispatched. The problem was that I could only use single commands. So setxkbmap with its option were not executed correctly. I then created a bash script in /usr/local/bin/ which internally calls setxkbmap it and replaced it in handlers.sh. Since I use Openbox and not Xfce your problem may not be related to mine.

Board footer