You are not logged in.

#101 2011-01-15 01:52:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: PCManFM Mod - User-Definable Functions

@tri1976
Sometimes that's happier than trying to iron out every last wrinkle, but thanks for letting me know about the issue.

@Korrode
Thanks and if you encounter any unsolved bugs feel free to let me know.  I try to address the ones I encounter or am made aware of.  I do still use this as my primary FM with good results.

#102 2011-01-24 00:35:03

whatshisname

A recent convert to PCManFM and now PCManFM-mod, I'm loving the user definable function capability.  I had enjoyed the add-on functions of Thunar and missed them when I switched over to PCManFM.  After an afternoon of research on Zenity, though, I've already written one that gives me back an mp3 tagging function I had used quite frequently in Thunar.

Is there an archive of functions that users have written to extend the functionality of PCManFM so we all don't keep re-inventing the wheel?

Thanks for a great mod.  PCManFM has come a long way since I tried it last a couple of years ago.  I've very pleased with how snappy it is.  And now the possibility of extending it with our own functions means the sky is the limit for this little file manager.

#103 2011-01-24 15:09:58

IgnorantGuru
Website

@whatshisname
Thanks for your comments.  I know my personal chooser script (not the one on the website) has grown into a monster that does about everything.  In fact I just set all the filetypes to open with it.  I find that easier than maintaining all the .desktop files and mime defaults.  My five user functions in PCManFM-Mod are

Edit
  Edit Root
  Chooser
  Chooser Root
  Permz

So there are two ways I can instantly open any selected files - the normal double-click to open (for which my chooser script doesn't ask anything, just does the default), or Edit for which the chooser script opens with an alternate app (editors, etc).  Or if I select Chooser then I get a menu based on the filetype(s) selected.

I've been thinking of sharing the script because it has some good logic for determining file types, and grouping files of the same type so each group can be opened with the appropriate app.  But it's so tweaked for my purposes and needs to be rewritten, so I haven't shared it.  But I might just put it up as an example as is, or maybe I'll rewrite it - I know better now what it will be doing than when I first started it, and it's getting a bit overgrown.

I like "snappy" as you say.  I shouldn't wait for computers, they should wait for me - I'm biological.

#104 2012-01-14 19:18:36

IgnorantGuru
Website

I'd like to invite Archers to test the next generation of pcmanfm-mod, which is now called 'spacefm'.  I'm not currently using Arch, but my build script produces a PKGBUILD and I added an AUR package for it, blindfolded and untested.  smile  If that doesn't work out, or even if it does, maybe an Arch user would prefer to maintain it.

You can read a little on the background of spacefm here, and the homepage is here.

Thanks for any testing and feedback - this is an early testing release so thanks for your patience.

Also, I'm planning one mostly-final release of pcmanfm-mod shortly to backport a few bugfixes.  Aside from future possible bugfixes, this will be the end of development of pcmanfm-mod.  pcmanfm-mod started here in Community Contributions (with this thread in fact) and certainly grew into more than I expected - thanks for all your feedback and input!

#105 2012-01-15 13:30:21

metre

Here it works flawlessly. Thank you for your great work, I really like it

Last edited by metre (2012-01-15 13:32:40)

#106 2012-01-15 15:17:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

@metre  Thanks for your early feedback - always good to hear 'it works'.  smile

#107 2012-01-15 15:40:50

Cloudef

@IgnorantGuru
I've tested this too and I must say, this is the first time graphical FM just feels right for me (apart from marlin which is promising as well)
I think it will find a place next to ranger for me.

Also, please do own thread for SpaceFM, it deserves it.

Edit:
If you could add option for showing full path in window title instead of just current directory name, that would be awesome.
I usually patch file managers by hand to do this (eg. marlin), since my dwm checks for file paths in window titles to spawn new applications to.

Edit2:
Seriously, I'm finding more and more awesomeness on this wm while using this.
The simple reason that you can bind any action to any key is already reason to use it.

This is how you do a GTK application smile

Last edited by Cloudef (2012-01-15 19:59:22)

#108 2012-01-15 18:44:32

metre

IgnorantGuru wrote:

@metre  Thanks for your early feedback - always good to hear 'it works'.  smile

To be more precise, SpaceFM is now my file manager of choice, he deserved it: for me, it's complete but on the same time lightweight and user-friendly. In my opinion, your software could be officially supported one day, because I think that one TU could find it interesting and useful.
I agree with Cloudef, this software deserves an official thread.

The creator of PCManFM (http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/) would be proud of you big_smile

Last edited by metre (2012-01-15 18:52:30)

#109 2012-01-15 20:27:38

IgnorantGuru
Website

Cloudef wrote:

@IgnorantGuru
I've tested this too and I must say, this is the first time graphical FM just feels right for me (apart from marlin which is promising as well)
I think it will find a place next to ranger for me.

Also, please do own thread for SpaceFM, it deserves it.

Thanks for your feedback - I'll consider the separate thread, probably would work better as many Arch users are early testers (and good ones).  Haven't tried ranger-  I should have a look at that.

If you could add option for showing full path in window title instead of just current directory name, that would be awesome.
I usually patch file managers by hand to do this (eg. marlin), since my dwm checks for file paths in window titles to spawn new applications to.

I've noted that and will take a look.  Also, you just reminded me - the smartbar (path bar) does more than you may realize since it's undocumented.  smile  You can enter a path to a file there and it will change to the dir and select the file (I love this - always wanted it in a fm).  You can also enter bash commands there.  Enter a single $ and press enter and it will show you the help (or right-click in the entry).  And it has a command history - use up/down arrows after entering a few commands.  And Escape resets it.  Plus it does completion on dir paths.  I have other potential plans for that bar too, like globbing and a quick grep to select files.

Also, the file list when focused has case-insensitive substring find-as-you-type on filenames - makes getting to a file very fast.  Use down arrow to go to the next matching file.

I really need to write docs.  smile  But feel free to ask if anything isn't clear.  There's a lot in there so middle and right click on things in general.

This is how you do a GTK application smile

Thanks - glad you like it.  And thanks for the detailed suggestions.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-01-15 20:47:13)

#110 2012-01-15 20:33:07

IgnorantGuru
Website

@metre: Thanks for the great feedback.  Please do keep in mind that this is an early test version, so test things before relying on them.  I've been using it in various forms and haven't had any damage, but I'm prepared for it.  This is still under 'heavy dev' as they say, and will be for a bit.  Users are starting to get ahead of me but I'm glad you're already seeing the potential of this.

#111 2012-01-15 22:17:53

anonymous_user

SpaceFM is looking interesting. I hope it would not be a burden to make feature suggestions for such a new project but:

1. Have files/folders be sorted alphabetically in addition to by filetype.

2. Shorter names for devices in sidebar. Or at least the ability to rename them.

3. Have separate icons for each individual bookmark.

4. Ability to customize (choose) the buttons on the toolbar.

5. Separate the sidebar and its button from the panels. Currently each panel can have its own sidebar. Maybe this is intentional but it seems redundant.

#112 2012-01-16 05:12:02

seiichiro0185
Website

SpaceFM looks really nice. I like how one can customize almost everything of it smile. Especially the bash integration is a really nice idea.

I also want to suggest a feature which I think would be usefull:

Mounting of LUKS-encrypted devices
Since most of my external drives are encrypted I would really help if one could decrypt them from the FM (like in Thunar and the newer versions of pcmanfm).

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#113 2012-01-16 14:33:06

IgnorantGuru
Website

My replies are in the new thread.

#114 2012-02-15 23:48:34

bruno321

After the last pacman -Syu I'm not seeing my drives on the left... What has gone wrong?

Board footer