You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-11 14:49:51

konart

Re: Chromium opens everything to do with downloads in Firefox.

mtasic85 wrote:

I'm using XFCE 4.8.0, and have same problem with default "xdg-open" implementation, but recently I've solved it.

File "/usr/bin/xdg-open" has some old lines for detecting XFCE session. Detection is done by:

elif xprop -root _DT_SAVE_MODE 2> /dev/null | grep ' = \"xfce4\"$' >/dev/null 2>&1; then DE=xfce;

However, it doesn't work, so change it to:

elif [ x"$DESKTOP_SESSION" == x"xfce" ]; then DE=xfce;

Now everything works as expected.

Works for me too, but for some reason it works too much big_smile
For example: when I'm trying to open a folder from awn, or a folder with a downloaded file via chrome - it opens the folder in question and my home folder 5 times, lol.

Last edited by konart (2011-04-11 14:59:16)

#27 2011-04-12 15:05:46

lupusarcanus

Our Wiki has some nice suggestions:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromium

I apologize if this has already been proposed.

-Andrew

#28 2011-04-18 23:13:20

guga31bb

SiegeMachine wrote:

Getting perl-file-mimeinfo doesn't do anything.  I used mimeinfo -a <file> to set the association of different file types that I usually open (like pdf's) and then I tried opening something with Chromium and it still opened firefox which then started the program.  Since the file was ALREADY associated to use a certain program which is what firefox would use to open, changing it did absolutely nothing. Why can't Chromium just have its OWN list of how to open things.  Everytime I click the pdf link it asks to save rather than just automatically opening it like firefox did.  I like chromium better for a lot of other reasons, but this file opening stuff is really annoying me.

How is perl-file-mimeinfo supposed to work with Chromium?

Well for generic_open I just put pcmanfm %url% and that seems to work

For some reason perl-file-mimeinfo installs its files into /usr/bin/vendor_perl. Look in that directory to find mimeopen and use that to open (for example) a pdf. Afterwards, chromium should open it how you want.

#29 2011-04-18 23:41:48

Korrode

I use fluxbox+chromium+pcmanfm.

The solution I chose is to place the following in ~/.bash_profile

# As far as any apps (like chromium of which we open files from directly) needs to be concerned, we run LXDE
export DESKTOP_SESSION=LXDE

This is preferable for me rather than modifying a script in non-user area. Been working great. smile

xfce | compiz | gmrun | urxvt | chromium | geany | aqualung | vlc | geeqie

#30 2011-08-16 17:57:21

yhager

For those of you who have xdg-mime do the right thing but chromium does not, you might have mozplugger. I had mozplugger installed and enabled in chrome, which took control over openning file types (like application/pdf) over xdg.
Going to chrome://plugins and disabling mozplugger did the job for me (no restart required).

#31 2012-01-19 00:14:24

betchern0t

Well I have spent a couple of days fiddling with this. For me it is still broken. For some reason my copy of Chromium doesn't seem to be calling xdg-open. I am running fluxbox and running xdg-open from the commandline correctly handles mailto uris however clicking on the same in chromium produces nothing.

Cheers Paul

#32 2012-01-19 02:49:21

jwhendy

@betchern0t: can you walk me through an example:

-- link to an available file of the type you're interested in
-- specify the xdg command you are using
-- list your chromium version and perhaps any possibly related extensions
-- provide the contents of ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

I've had nothing but success with this, though I have to admit I don't use mailto links to open a program so I haven't fiddled with that. I'd still be willing to check things out, though.

#33 2012-01-19 05:54:43

betchern0t

fixed. Seems that they lied when they said that chromium just calls out to xdg-open. For certain uris it calls other things. For mailto uris it calls xdg-email which is very similar to xdg-open - shared code and layout. The same sort of fixes discussed above for xdg-open - environment variable for DE, hard code DE, add client to hard coded browsers and using links - should work for xdg-email. In my case hard coding the desktop environment (DE) to kde still fails - not enough kde in my environment I guess - but gnome works fine.

The simply way to get information on what it is doing is to run chromium from the commandline then you will see the error messages.

Thanks Jwhendy for the offer of help.

Cheers Paul

#34 2012-01-19 15:55:19

jwhendy

@betchern0t: Glad you got it!

Board footer