You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-02 07:33:35

lilsirecho
Veteran

fsck failed: root is mounted ro

big_smile  smile   I'm back!!!

My arch has been functioning well until this evening.  During boot-up the failure notice displayed the subject message and stated that to correct it to enter:

mount -n -o remount, rw/

It is not clear what this means; however, when you enter the root passwd, a root prompt shows up.  If the above mount command is entered as stated, the computer readout lists  ... mount command data...
    The error message also states that the boot sequence will automatically reboot after entering the mount command.

It seems I am missing the meaning of the subject message since it may stand for a more detailed ....mount....command or that I have to do something else :?:
     Cannot boot sad  sad

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2003-12-02 10:36:44

andy

Re: fsck failed: root is mounted ro

Before something bad happens, I would suggest you boot an install floppy or install CD. Instead of installing anything you simply run the fsck commands to check your hard drive partitions. I assume you know which are your AL partitions. If not, do a
fdisk -l /dev/hda (or whichever the harddrive is you installed AL).
and decide from the output.

For every partition, do
fsck /dev/..../partX
But be sure, you know what you are doing ! fsck can be dangerous ! Read the man pages to fsck - you can find them online, e.g. digging through www.tldp.org

Just an explanation of the original error : the system found an error, and wanted you to correct it. You could try to run fsck from the prompt you were presented then. And don't just try to mount filesytems with errors with read-write. The system already did a read-only mount. However, you need to mount at least the root filesystem to get some executables.
The advantage of booting the install media is that you don't need to mount anything from your harddrive.

#3 2003-12-02 17:58:34

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Hello andy!

I appreciate your reply and am apprised of the danger in using fsck incorrectly.

One comment about error messages that seems appropriate for this case.  Since my arch OS has been operating with the root parameters originally entered and no new entries were made to change them, I feel the message appearing as a try to boot is not to be taken as gospel.   I have had error messages which kept me attempting to respond for days only to find out that what it says is not what it should have said.  This seems to be true often probably to reduce the complexity of establishing error statements to cover every possibility.

Therefore, it pays to be wary and appreciate that the message is saying there is something amiss, not necessarily exactly what it is saying.
     As I understand your post, I should be able to call fsck after cdrom boot(install cd)
and list my root device, thusly:
         #fsck -l  /dev/discs/disc0
     The system is installed already so the designator for the partition cannot be /hdxx.

After listing the contents of the part 3 root disc, I assume I should find it to be mounted as ...ro.... as the message indicates.  If it is mounted as ....rw...in the listing what should I do then???

I assume I will do no harm by just listing the root partition:
     #fsck /dev/discs/disc0/part3
     #ls -v |less
     #exit

After reading the contents, perhaps a change is indicated which I assume involves using commands via fsck.

Am I on the right path? :!:  roll

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2003-12-02 18:25:33

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm pretty sure the whole message says that something is amiss and that when you're finished un-amissing it that you could run the mount command.  Whenever you run into an error message you don't know read the whole thing, don't try to just pull out the stuff you think is important.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2003-12-02 18:49:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile Hello xentac..

I read the whole message and it finishes by saying the system will auto-reboot after the instruction included has been applied,namely:

mount -n -o remount, rw/

This message does not specify where to apply the above command, I am supposed to know...I don't.
    After the post from andy, I am afraid to try...!!

#6 2003-12-02 19:39:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

big_smile  smile    Gents:

Removed windows HDD.

Rebooted arch successfully.  Am addressing this through arch.

I believe the problem is in kdisk free addressing in fstab.

I will pursue that avenue...

Board footer