You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-28 11:12:36

jackmetal

LSB - Linux Standard Base Specifications

I'm sure a lot of you may already know this, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway. 

The LSB (http://www.linuxbase.org/index.php) has put together their 3.x specifications.

Looks like RedHat must be running the thing.  ;-) 

They've no doubt adopted RPM as their standard for package management: (http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3 … stall.html).

I'd hate to think that one day I'll again be using that bloated piece of crap. :-0

Another site that may be of interest: http://refspecs.freestandards.org/

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#2 2005-07-28 11:49:27

jackmetal

Re: LSB - Linux Standard Base Specifications

Damn... It's pretty bad when I reply to my own post. <grin>  I actually meant to edit it.

Although - standard package management in the linux community would definitely make things a LOT simpler.  One package type, all packages available for all distributions...   Utopia...

It's a shame it can't be 'pacman'...   ;-)

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#3 2005-07-28 11:56:07

xerxes2
Website

i remember that xentac said something about that it was almost impossible for arch to support lsb, too many things have to be changed for that,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#4 2005-07-28 17:00:22

sarah31
Website

IMO lsb has never had a practical approach to their standards and they are virtually useless anyway since so few distros actually comply to them. Standards are good but when they are virtually unenforcable and most non mainstream distros pay no heed then they are a waste of time. One of the single most stupid thing about the lsb is the package standard rpms.

I could go on but I won't. I am big on standards but the LSB is just not a good set of 'em.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2005-07-28 17:07:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Sarah quotes my sentiments exactly. Standards are one of the things we sort of agree on.

Dusty

#6 2005-07-29 00:14:30

archdaemon

LSB is a joke. And speaking of jokes, you may have meant the MicroHat comment as a joke, but it's the stone cold truth. :evil:

I really freakin' hate 'Linux', when it means SysV-init RPM blah blah. If your Slacks and Arches and BSD-flavored Linuxes weren't around, I don't know what I'd be using, because I don't like straight BSD much, either, and hate Windows even a little more than *Hats.

Here's hoping LSB meets the fate of most such activities. :twisted:

Board footer