You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 03:14:22

skunktrader
Member
From: Brisbane, Australia
Registered: 2010-02-14
Posts: 1,321

[Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

A recent update removed module-init-tools and replaced it with kmod.

The wiki has a number of methods to prevent loading of ipv6 that all seem to rely on /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.  Seeing that this file is no longer used by kmod, how do I prevent ipv6 module being loaded?

Last edited by skunktrader (2012-01-21 03:27:57)

Offline

#2 2012-01-21 03:17:50

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,097
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

kmod is a dropin replacement. it honors exactly the same config files. The package doesn't ship a modprobe.conf because it was shipped empty with m-i-t. I didn't see a reason to continue this bizzare practice.

Rename the file to ditch the pacsave.

edit for posterity: http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 22324.html

Last edited by falconindy (2012-01-21 03:28:47)

Offline

#3 2012-01-21 03:27:42

skunktrader
Member
From: Brisbane, Australia
Registered: 2010-02-14
Posts: 1,321

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Thanks

# mv /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.pacsave /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf

Offline

#4 2012-01-21 06:32:01

orschiro
Member
Registered: 2009-06-04
Posts: 2,136
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Shouldn't this be worth an announcement post?

This is not immediately clear.

Regards

Offline

#5 2012-01-21 07:30:07

travmon
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2010-09-17
Posts: 8

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

orschiro wrote:

Shouldn't this be worth an announcement post?

This is not immediately clear.

Regards


+1


The dam fish won't bite

Offline

#6 2012-01-21 09:15:29

twouters
Member
Registered: 2010-04-01
Posts: 23

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Also, shouldn't the replacement of module-init-tools with kmod initiate a rebuild of the initramfs or at least show a message that you have to do it manualy?

Offline

#7 2012-01-21 10:00:12

Rolinh
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2011-05-07
Posts: 144
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Same here, I expected an announcement that would explain this but there is none.

Offline

#8 2012-01-21 10:28:17

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

But isn't this just merging pacnew files? What's so new in this?

Offline

#9 2012-01-21 10:53:16

zzs
Member
Registered: 2012-01-21
Posts: 1

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Rolinh wrote:

Same here, I expected an announcement that would explain this but there is none.

+1

Offline

#10 2012-01-21 11:09:06

travmon
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2010-09-17
Posts: 8

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

karol wrote:

But isn't this just merging pacnew files? What's so new in this?

true,  I guess the flock of new users never learned they need to merge .pacnew files yet. Takes a deep cut to learn


The dam fish won't bite

Offline

#11 2012-01-21 12:27:13

Amancio
Member
Registered: 2011-11-16
Posts: 9

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

zzs wrote:
Rolinh wrote:

Same here, I expected an announcement that would explain this but there is none.

+1

+1


http://euterpe.blog.br/
Blog de música clássica (pt-BR)

Offline

#12 2012-01-21 12:41:14

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Instead of worthless '+1' it would be interesting to read *why* do you think this update was so special that it deserved an announcement?

Offline

#13 2012-01-21 12:52:10

CEPfister
Member
Registered: 2011-08-10
Posts: 68

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

First of, it's not a pacnew file, it's a pacsave making things quiet intriguing at first sight.

Offline

#14 2012-01-21 12:55:42

Earnestly
Member
Registered: 2011-08-18
Posts: 805

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Because someone has already stated why it might have been a good idea, however the people are quoting the wrong post.

Shouldn't this be worth an announcement post?

This is not immediately clear.

Regards

Fortunately for me, after looking for announcements, there were enough forum threads (2) discussing the change for me to understand what was happening.
Cheers.

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-01-21 12:56:35)

Offline

#15 2012-01-21 13:05:06

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

CEPfister wrote:

First of, it's not a pacnew file, it's a pacsave making things quiet intriguing at first sight.

Why is it intriguing? It's a standard procedure: a package has been removed, files from the backup array that had been modified have been saved as .pacsave files.
At least my pacman output said clearly:

[2012-01-13 01:48] warning: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf saved as /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.pacsave

Offline

#16 2012-01-21 14:17:55

Rolinh
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2011-05-07
Posts: 144
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Of course it does. But this does not tell us if modprobe.conf can still be used (which is the case btw). So we learn that modprobe.conf has been moved to a pacsave file... and then? As there is no more modprobe.conf after that, one might think that it cannot be used anymore... (and this was my thoughts actually). So we have to search in the forums to find what we are supposed to do instead of reading a 2 lines announcement.

Offline

#17 2012-01-21 14:21:11

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134045

I'm not against adding some info to pacman's output so the average user doesn't have to search through the ML trying to understand the discussion etc. but '+1's don't help.
If you want to get something fixed you should be much more precise:
1. Why do you think an announcement was in order?
2. Why not add some info to pacman's output instead?
3. Give an example of what said announcement / other info should look like.

Offline

#18 2012-01-21 14:43:00

Evilandi666
Member
Registered: 2010-10-28
Posts: 105

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

twouters wrote:

Also, shouldn't the replacement of module-init-tools with kmod initiate a rebuild of the initramfs or at least show a message that you have to do it manualy?

Why should I manually rebuild initramfs after upgrading to kmod? Is this really necessary?

Offline

#19 2012-01-21 14:47:30

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,097
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Evilandi666 wrote:
twouters wrote:

Also, shouldn't the replacement of module-init-tools with kmod initiate a rebuild of the initramfs or at least show a message that you have to do it manualy?

Why should I manually rebuild initramfs after upgrading to kmod? Is this really necessary?

Rebuilding the initramfs has always been something you're encouraged to do after a udev upgrade. Mismatches in versions on the initramfs and on the real root can cause problems when upstream decides to play with the udev DB format (it's entirely internal to udev so there's no API guarantee).  In this case, there was no udev DB format change, so it's not strictly necessary, but it's still a good idea.

Offline

#20 2012-01-21 14:54:32

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

Sorry for OT, but in the current version (kmod 4-1) the output of 'kmod -h' is lacking. Your hint http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 22324.html

One other thing you might notice is that kmod doesn't currently include
man pages. I don't consider this a loss -- the m-i-t manpages did not
provide full coverage, nor did the command line help. kmod's binaries
all currently have full coverage of options via -h, --help.

saved me from committing some horrible acts I might later regret.

kmod [options] command [command_options]

doesn't make much sense.
Upstream http://git.profusion.mobi/cgit.cgi/kmod.git is dead atm. How should I proceed if I want this fixed?

Offline

#21 2012-01-21 14:57:15

Evilandi666
Member
Registered: 2010-10-28
Posts: 105

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

falconindy wrote:
Evilandi666 wrote:
twouters wrote:

Also, shouldn't the replacement of module-init-tools with kmod initiate a rebuild of the initramfs or at least show a message that you have to do it manualy?

Why should I manually rebuild initramfs after upgrading to kmod? Is this really necessary?

Rebuilding the initramfs has always been something you're encouraged to do after a udev upgrade. Mismatches in versions on the initramfs and on the real root can cause problems when upstream decides to play with the udev DB format (it's entirely internal to udev so there's no API guarantee).  In this case, there was no udev DB format change, so it's not strictly necessary, but it's still a good idea.

Thx, done.

But I really ask myself, why doesn't udev tell me that while updating via pacman's output. Or why doesn't if start a initramfs rebuild itself. Afaik not even the udev wiki page tells me to do so.

Offline

#22 2012-01-21 17:07:28

fsckd
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-06-15
Posts: 3,575

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

moderator comment: Posts consisting of only '+1' add nothing to the discussion. Please refrain from making them. Forum Etiquette: No Power-Posting/Empty Posts


aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Offline

#23 2012-01-21 17:42:20

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,097
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

karol wrote:

Sorry for OT, but in the current version (kmod 4-1) the output of 'kmod -h' is lacking. Your hint http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 22324.html

One other thing you might notice is that kmod doesn't currently include
man pages. I don't consider this a loss -- the m-i-t manpages did not
provide full coverage, nor did the command line help. kmod's binaries
all currently have full coverage of options via -h, --help.

saved me from committing some horrible acts I might later regret.

kmod [options] command [command_options]

doesn't make much sense.
Upstream http://git.profusion.mobi/cgit.cgi/kmod.git is dead atm. How should I proceed if I want this fixed?

You can look harder before saying things like "kmod isn't feature complete" when it's indeed feature complete (and beyond) compared to m-i-t.

man pages exist with kmod-4, and all the symlinks to kmod have complete help output... a manpage for the multi-call kmod itself is on the TODO list.

Offline

#24 2012-01-21 18:10:02

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,433

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

stefanwilkens said "kmod --help is feature complete", I disagreed https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1045115
I was talking about the man page.

'Usage' part mentions options, command and command options, but command options are not listed. Instead we get a list of compat commands / symlinks.
How should I use the symlinks? What's the usage syntax for them? I thought I can use a symlink (e.g. rmmod) in place of 'kmod' but that's not the case.
I can do 'kmod help' but

[karol@black ~]$ lsmod help
Usage: lsmod
[karol@black ~]$ rmmod help
Error: Module help is not currently loaded
[karol@black ~]$ modprobe help
FATAL: Module help not found.

Does the man page tell you that if an option is present, the command will not be executed?

If I need that much trial and error to get it going, either the man page leaves something to be desired or the underlying software is too baroque for such a simple manual.
Or I'm too dumb to comprehend this ingenius ingenuous simplicity.

Offline

#25 2012-01-21 18:40:19

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,097
Website

Re: [Solved] module-init-tools -> kmod : how to disable ipv6

You can't possibly be serious. kmod uses GNU's getopt_long(3) like almost every other C program out there does (including module-init-tools).

$ rmmod --help
Usage:
	rmmod [options] modulename ...
Options:
	-f, --force       forces a module unload and may crash your
	                  machine. This requires Forced Module Removal
	                  option in your kernel. DANGEROUS
	-s, --syslog      print to syslog, not stderr
	-v, --verbose     enables more messages
	-V, --version     show version
	-w, --wait        begins module removal even if it is used and
	                  will stop new users from accessing it.
	-h, --help        show this help

$ modprobe --help
Usage:
	modprobe [options] [-i] [-b] modulename
	modprobe [options] -a [-i] [-b] modulename [modulename...]
	modprobe [options] -r [-i] modulename
	modprobe [options] -r -a [-i] modulename [modulename...]
	modprobe [options] -l [-t dirname] [wildcard]
	modprobe [options] -c
	modprobe [options] --dump-modversions filename
Management Options:
	-a, --all                   Consider every non-argument to
	                            be a module name to be inserted
	                            or removed (-r)
	-r, --remove                Remove modules instead of inserting
	    --remove-dependencies   Also remove modules depending on it
	-R, --resolve-alias         Only lookup and print alias and exit
	    --first-time            Fail if module already inserted or removed
	-i, --ignore-install        Ignore install commands
	-i, --ignore-remove         Ignore remove commands
	-b, --use-blacklist         Apply blacklist to resolved alias.
	-f, --force                 Force module insertion or removal.
	                            implies --force-modversions and
	                            --force-vermagic
	    --force-modversion      Ignore module's version
	    --force-vermagic        Ignore module's version magic

Query Options:
	-t, --type=DIR              Limit type used by --list
	-D, --show-depends          Only print module dependencies and exit
	-c, --showconfig            Print out known configuration and exit
	-c, --show-config           Same as --showconfig
	    --show-modversions      Dump module symbol version and exit
	    --dump-modversions      Same as --show-modversions

General Options:
	-n, --dry-run               Do not execute operations, just print out
	-n, --show                  Same as --dry-run
	-C, --config=FILE           Use FILE instead of default search paths
	-d, --dirname=DIR           Use DIR as filesystem root for /lib/modules
	-S, --set-version=VERSION   Use VERSION instead of `uname -r`
	-s, --syslog                print to syslog, not stderr
	-q, --quiet                 disable messages
	-v, --verbose               enables more messages
	-V, --version               show version
	-h, --help                  show this help

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB