You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-18 18:10:35

process91

[SOLVED] Pacman error: failed retrieving file : No address record

I just installed Arch on a x86 laptop using the cd as the package source. I wanted to do a net install, but when I attempted to (regardless of the mirror) I got many responses from pacman in tty7 of "No address record". This happened despite having a network connection and being able to ping any site from the cli.

After installing, I am still having the same problem. The laptop is plugged in via ethernet, and I can ping any site I want, but a call to pacman -Syyu just returns numerous errors such as

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.rit.edu : No address record

And just as a test, I was getting replies when pinging mirror.rit.edu.

Last edited by process91 (2011-11-18 18:21:17)

#2 2011-11-18 18:20:54

process91

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman error: failed retrieving file : No address record

I fixed it. It was something to do with the DNS servers sent out by DHCP, not sure why I was able to ping all those addresses but pacman couldn't see it but fixing the DNS servers solved the problem.

#3 2012-01-13 15:49:07

archerix

May I know how did you do that?
Because I get the same error and I tried to change the mirror but still no success..here is the screenshot:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 … oblem.png/

Between me (Freddy Krueger) and Arch Linux, I think Arch Linux is scarier,
and it will give you baddest nightmare in your life, if you failed to configure it right..

#4 2012-01-13 15:55:45

process91

In my case, the problem was that the DNS servers set on the router, where my computer was getting its DHCP settings from, were no longer valid. I went to the router configuration and changed the DNS servers to Google's Public DNS. If you wanted to, you could (temporarily) set a static IP and DNS by following the documentation here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … nfigure_IP

Are you able to ping out to google.com?

#5 2012-01-16 03:48:10

archerix

I was not able to ping any site..in my case i tried to installed Arch on virtualbox..so is it related with virtualbox built in DNS server?

I also tried to change the end of the mirror to something like 'i686' instead of $arch..is it related with this problem also?

and it will give you baddest nightmare in your life, if you failed to configure it right..

#6 2012-01-16 03:50:24

process91

If you are not able to ping any site then the problem you are having is related to the networking. There is no "built in DNS" in VirtualBox, it uses the DNS of the parent most times. VirtualBox has many other options for networking to the host, try different options there to fix your problem.

In any event, the problem you are having is not the one referenced in this thread. If you read my first post, you will note that I was able to ping other sites, just not able to get the arch mirrors.

#7 2012-01-18 07:13:15

archerix

I have tried every single options available but still getting this error..hurmm..

#8 2012-01-18 07:20:52

process91

Try the following steps:

1 - Set the VirtualBox Networking option to NAT
2 -  Start the arch machine in the VirtualBox
3 -  Edit /etc/rc.conf as a dynamic IP:

HOSTNAME="arch"
interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=

4 - Run dhcpcd
5 -  Try to ping a couple of sites, or your router

If you still can't ping or anything, I suggest you start a new thread specifically about your problem. Include the output from "ipconfig -a". You're not going to get much help from posting in a thread marked "[SOLVED]".

Last edited by process91 (2012-01-18 07:21:14)

#9 2012-01-18 07:23:11

ewaller
Administrator

archerix,
Your problem is probably not related.  In all likelihood, you don't have any Internet connectivity. 
Try this thread

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2012-01-21 08:13:26

archerix

Yeah..thanks to all of you..I tried this:

dhcpcd eth0 up

And then suddenly I can ping google, update and upgrade my system..Just what annoyed my was I have to do it everytime I login to Arch..

Ok Mr. Mode..I will go to that thread..thanks..

Board footer