You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 13:03:41

olig1905

[SOLVED]New Install GNOME wont start

Hi, Just completed my first install of Arch (followed beginners guide) had some issues with the updating to pacman 4 but theyre all sorted now(forgot to merge pacnew file and run pacman-key --init)

I have installed X and everything that the beginners guide instructs you to do.

then ran

sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra gdm

then added gdm to daemons in rc.conf & also added exec line to ~/.xinitrc

now when i did startx all i got was the wallpaper, no pointer, no shell
and now when i reboot it boots into gdm but i cannot login!

also i seemingly cannot switch to tty2 from gdm

sorry for an awfully written post and thanks in advance for any responses

Last edited by olig1905 (2012-01-21 14:13:48)

#2 2012-01-21 13:08:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]New Install GNOME wont start

Did you see this thread?

Please follow those troubleshooting steps first, then if the issue remains come back with the results of each of those steps.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-01-21 13:26:49

olig1905

Thanks for that, however i cannot switch sessions (ctrl+alt +f2) in order to actually login and install libtld. I cannot even see if i still have that problem as i cant login. Im having massive issues troubleshooting this because i am just stuck on gdm with the login screen not working.

P.S this is my second attempt at getting this to work first attempt i could login but that was it and libtld fix probably would have worked but now i cant login or change sessions

#4 2012-01-21 13:38:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I would hope there was a way to "bail out" of gdm while booting - but I am not very familiar with it.

Can you boot from some other media (install CD, bootable USB, etc) and explore your system from there.

Once booted to any working system you should be able to check the contents of your (root partition)/etc/rc.conf to make sure that dbus is before gdm in the daemons line.

You could also chroot into the system if you need to install libtld.  This you should check the wiki or wait for others to chime in as my experience with chroot'ing is only enough to know that it can be done and what it's for - if I ever have the need to do so I'd spend a bit reading the man pages first.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-01-21 13:45:46

wonder
Developer
Website

olig1905 wrote:

Thanks for that, however i cannot switch sessions (ctrl+alt +f2) in order to actually login and install libtld. I cannot even see if i still have that problem as i cant login. Im having massive issues troubleshooting this because i am just stuck on gdm with the login screen not working.

P.S this is my second attempt at getting this to work first attempt i could login but that was it and libtld fix probably would have worked but now i cant login or change sessions

the libltdl issue is not a spread one and you seem to install gnome in the right way(at least without -f).

be sure you are fully up to date first by doing pacman -Syu

next don't forget to start dbus daemon.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2012-01-21 13:48:48

olig1905

libltdl was an issue, the whole cant switch sessions was because id hit the fmode button on my keyboard. However i still cant login. i will try to manually start dbus now then login and do an update but my system should already be up to date. I can login to the login shell just not gdm.

Also found a post with another user having a too low uid, but mine is 1000 as it is the next available free one when i added new user

#7 2012-01-21 14:08:14

olig1905

ok i am now running a gnome session on concerned box. (removed gdm from rc.conf and startx to start session) Anywhere within this session that a password is needed it does not work.

pulling my hair out as to what this might be and i know im sure i shouldnt tell you my password but im going to "#" it is simple and next to enter i am the only user and i dont want a lecture on security that is my password and has been on other linux/Gnome shell systems before.

When i first installed x i had an issue with my password because i had the wrong keymap selected but i am defineately typing the right thing now

#8 2012-01-21 14:13:04

olig1905

SOLVED..... Changed password to my full legnth secure password and it worked.

WIll mark this as SOLVED if i can work out how else can someone else do it!

#9 2012-01-21 15:23:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

"Edit" your initial post and change the title.

Board footer