You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 19:53:51

chmurli

how to disable or remap 'toggle backlight' combination? (asus 53s)

Hi, my laptop has combination to turn on/off backlight. But problem is it only switch backlight and I can see what is displayed using torch or any source of light.
I think its more economically (save power) to completly turn screen off, for example using command "xset dpms force off". Another advantage of using xset is I dont have to press this combination again to turn screen on, moving a mouse will do.

So how to disable this combination or force it to perform another code?

I thought it was binded by Xmodmap:

$ xmodmap -pke
keycode 235 = XF86Display NoSymbol XF86Display
keycode 236 = XF86KbdLightOnOff NoSymbol XF86KbdLightOnOff
keycode 237 = XF86KbdBrightnessDown NoSymbol XF86KbdBrightnessDown
keycode 238 = XF86KbdBrightnessUp NoSymbol XF86KbdBrightnessUp

but when I replace code 236 to "keycode 236 =" it doesnt change anything. Besides reloading xmodmap took my computer 3minutes! Why so long?

Last edited by chmurli (2012-01-21 19:54:22)

#2 2012-01-21 21:02:20

ewaller
Administrator

Re: how to disable or remap 'toggle backlight' combination? (asus 53s)

Not really an answer to your question, but...

In a former life, I designed LCD displays.  The power to run the LCD itself is almost nothing.   Your efforts may be beyond the point of diminishing returns.

Yes, you can make a transmissive display operate as a transflexive display if you hit it with collimated light in a low diffuse ambient light environment.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer