You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-21 13:21:12

seriouslycgi

[Solved]Can't boot new install

Loading ../vmlinuz-linux.....
Loading ../initramfs-linux.img.....ready.
Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.
:: Starting udevd...
done.
:: Running Hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...done. Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/sda3 ...
ERROR: Unable to find root device '/dev/sda3' .
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
        Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /]#

so this was a working arch install but i needed to upgrade to install new software (media server and htpc) the upgrades wouldnt work due to nvidia-173xx conflicts in may last year or something (thats how long it had been since i had updated). so i decided to re-install but that was a mistake.

first boot worked fine (base install) then i installed samba and ssh, rebooted  and it had that error, so i searched for two days for a fix but not found anything that worked so i re-installed and now i get that error on first boot each time i re-install. uuid or /dev, grub or syslinux, same result.

a live cd boots fine.

installed on 80gb ide with a 1tb sata (motherboard controller)

was there something updated in the last few days/weeks that causes this as its been fine until now.

please help thanks.

Last edited by seriouslycgi (2012-01-21 23:55:01)

#2 2012-01-21 13:24:12

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved]Can't boot new install

Are you sure you specify your root device correctly? Are you sure it's /dev/sda3?

#3 2012-01-21 13:29:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

seriouslycgi wrote:

was there something updated in the last few days/weeks that causes this as its been fine until now.

There have been a number of updates since the last iso that require some form on intervention.  None of them, AFAIK, should cause this sort of issue though.

To make your life much easier, however, if you do try to reinstall again, would you be able to try a net-install.  This gets the most recent of all packages, and minimizes any chances for errors in the updates from the last iso to current.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-01-21 16:31:42

nomorewindows

If your init ram fs image didn't include the proper filesystem for your root, you also won't be able to get in. 
At the ramfs prompt, ls into the dev directory to see if the entry is there.  Then look at the lib/modules directory to see if the proper filesystem modules are present.  This will tell you most of what you need, so you can go back and get the init ram fs built properly.  What does your /etc/{fstab,mkinitcpio.conf} look like?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2012-01-21 23:54:35

seriouslycgi

oh gosh i re-installed a few times changing partitions etc and to fix it all i needed to do was change

sda3 in grub to sdb3

argh

that was simple.

#6 2012-01-22 00:04:09

karol
Archivist

/dev/sda3 is the default, you have to adjust it if needed http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/ … kages/grub

Board footer